Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever hear of this stuff? It's my bday and my sweetheart gave me a chunk of it- very cool looking, here's some info:
Remember that 1964 Ford Mustang you pined after as a teen? Yeah, that’s the one—the sweet red convertible you saved up for, busing trays for tips at the local soda shop, but never could afford? It can be yours now, along with many other classic models…well, in keepsake form, that is.

A manmade material called fordite—used in all types of jewelry, from lady’s pendants to men’s rings—preserves a slice of automotive history under its polished surface. No, it doesn’t consist of a shattered headlight, melted into cabochon form. This gem of a stone reveals its history through multiple layers of colorful paint scavenged from the very factory that led to Steve McQueen’s ride in Bullit and my own father’s Shelby GT infatuation.

Back in the 1950s and 1960s, vehicles passing through Ford assembly lines reached a booth where men with paint guns sprayed them various colors. The paint inevitably accumulated on the racks holding the cars, building up, layer upon layer. Considered as industrial waste, most workers overlooked the hardened paint until cleaning time. Some factory men, however, fortuitously shared a particular hobby that grew out of 1940s California—cutting and polishing stones, an art practiced by lapidaries. They eventually realized that the sheets of pigment others might consider trash could actually be fashioned into treasure and started mining away. When the material is cut, “it looks just like a really finely banded stone—like an agate,” says Gary Wilson, a lapidary who works with fordite. “It’s just a unique recycled material that most people paid no attention to in the era it was being produced.”

I attached a pic of mine - I think a can see a little Legend Lime in there -

Attachments

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
man thats cool!

Is it very hard or could you smash it? Would be killer to have a ring made out of it!
Well you ma'am have one interesting and very radical sweetheart,
happy day of birth!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JetWolf said:
man thats cool!

Is it very hard or could you smash it? Would be killer to have a ring made out of it!
Well you ma'am have one interesting and very radical sweetheart,
happy day of birth!!
It's hard, but it feels light but very solid- very unique

1 - 3 of 3 Posts