Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up to everyone, replace your factory lug wrench! I got a flat on the highway tonight, broke loose all but 1 lugnut, then the factory wrench twisted and couldn't get the last one off, called highway patrol and used his 4way wrench, and was on my way, the factory wrench is a hollow thin tube, useless!! Thanks ford! Don't get me wrong. I love fords I own a 05 gt and 05 expedition both are great. But could use a better lug wrench....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Wow!!!

Took off all 4 of my tires with mine, maybe you just had freakishly tight lug nuts? Or a bad wrench? Glad you got things straightened out :)

·
Loc: Austin,TX
5,980 Posts
I always carry a small auto zone style floor jack and a 4 way.....learned my lesson a long time ago. Take about ten minutes this way.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Probably had the wheels last installed by a shop using air tools.

NEVER use air tools to tighten lug nuts. Seen way too many broken studs and have personally broken two 4-ways loosening lug nuts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure they were put on with a impact wrench, it was pretty tight! But I haven't had the wheels off since we bought it, but I'm going to check the others and get a new 4-way wrench , maybe the wrench was defective? I know the older stangs had a solid lug wrench, the new ones have a hollow tube, maybe ford wanted to save weight ?

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
Just a heads up to everyone, replace your factory lug wrench! I got a flat on the highway tonight, broke loose all but 1 lugnut, then the factory wrench twisted and couldn't get the last one off, called highway patrol and used his 4way wrench, and was on my way, the factory wrench is a hollow thin tube, useless!! Thanks ford! Don't get me wrong. I love fords I own a 05 gt and 05 expedition both are great. But could use a better lug wrench....
Ouch that sucks. I've taken mine off and on several times with the factory wrench.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
make sure they are not put on to tight, 100lbs should be the max on the mustang, sounds like someone decided they needed to be put on much tighter

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wereKEV said:
How in the hell did yiu twist a solid steel lug wrench ,Is it hollow?
Yes,, it's hollow! I'm not sure when ford switched, I've owned fox body's and they always had a solid steel bar, now they are hollow..

·
Registered
185 Posts
Very helpfull! going to put that on my junkyard wish list. see if i cant find something solid but the same size, sorry about your troubles bro.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Black05gt said:
I'm sure they were put on with a impact wrench, it was pretty tight! But I haven't had the wheels off since we bought it, but I'm going to check the others and get a new 4-way wrench , maybe the wrench was defective? I know the older stangs had a solid lug wrench, the new ones have a hollow tube, maybe ford wanted to save weight ?
I doubt it was to save weight, cost was more likely the root! ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts