Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car was throwing out a code for camshaft position sensor being bad I replaced both sensors and the crankshaft sensor but it is still showing the code for the same thing, everybody is saying it is probably the alternator but they are expensive. Should I just tke it to ford and have them scan it or should I just replace the alternator this thing is driving me freaking crazy.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
Code readers give you an idea of what's wrong. They don't specifically say what it is. The dealers scanner costs thousands of dollars I believe theirs will pinpoint the problem. Just depends what they charge to diagnose

·
Registered
326 Posts
Clean the icv recently? Leak in the intake system, tear in a boot after the maf? (sorry, I don't know if the s197 has a icv, but my bimmer had a similar situation)

·
Registered
131 Posts
What's the exact wording of the code. If the sensor didn't fix it it could be wiring for the sensors but a more detailed description of the code would help

·
Registered
273 Posts
You should go ahead and replace the alternator. By the time you spend your money on getting checked by ford or buying other misc items, it would be cheaper to replace alternator IMO.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should go ahead and replace the alternator. By the time you spend your money on getting checked by ford or buying other misc items, it would be cheaper to replace alternator IMO.
I amjust afraid to replace the altewrnator and have it not be the problem any ideas how much ford will charge me for the diosnostics?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm not following why people are saying the alternator if the alt. were not putting out enough amperage then other systems in the car would be effected not just cam sensor. Like I said earlier it could very well be in the wiring going from the sensor to the PCM since you replaced the sensors already. If your unsure of how to test the cam sensors and their circuitry just take it to the dealership they will charge you an hours worth of labor which would be around 100 bucks. Yeah it's not cheap but it's cheaper than just throwing parts at a problem and hoping it fixes it then finding out it didn't work.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not following why people are saying the alternator if the alt. were not putting out enough amperage then other systems in the car would be effected not just cam sensor. Like I said earlier it could very well be in the wiring going from the sensor to the PCM since you replaced the sensors already. If your unsure of how to test the cam sensors and their circuitry just take it to the dealership they will charge you an hours worth of labor which would be around 100 bucks. Yeah it's not cheap but it's cheaper than just throwing parts at a problem and hoping it fixes it then finding out it didn't work.
I agree I don't see how replacing the alt will fix it I have an appt. with ford in the morning for a diognostics that sounds safer to me instead of buying a 300 dollar alt and have it not fix anything. I can't afford to buy parts that are not going to fix anything I just got laid off from my job on friday so I have to be sure about what I buy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well good luck keep us posted on what they say. I'm curious as I work for ford as to what there techs say

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well good luck keep us posted on what they say. I'm curious as I work for ford as to what there techs say
Thanks I will keep you posted I hope they find out it is something not to costly.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

What's the exact wording of the code. If the sensor didn't fix it it could be wiring for the sensors but a more detailed description of the code would help
the code reads camshaft position sensorA-bank1 circuit malfunction

·
Registered
273 Posts
wereKEV said:
I amjust afraid to replace the altewrnator and have it not be the problem any ideas how much ford will charge me for the diosnostics?
If your not under warranty ford will of $400 min to see what the problem is. Luckily for me I have the SCT Livewire tuner, I looked up the code it said same thing your car was saying. I went to a mustang forum and asked for help and everybody said it was my alternator, so I replaced it and the code went away. You should listen to the advice about replacing your alternator. We're just throwing this helpful tip to other stang owners that had or have this code. Just trying to keep money in your pockets.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

SSC182 said:
If you would do some searching on this forum, there has been several topics on this code and it concluded to replacing the alternator and the problem was solved.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
Reading some more old threads on here, the CPS is sensitive to magnetic fields. Maybe when the alternator is dying, it emmits more noise...?

More...The internal regulator could be faulty in the alternator causing the CPS to see an incorrect range of voltage to opperate.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reading some more old threads on here, the CPS is sensitive to magnetic fields. Maybe when the alternator is dying, it emmits more noise...?
I dont hear anything unusual but the supercharger makes it hard to hear.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I went to ford 89.95 for diognostic here is what they said it is caused by radio interference from the alternator going bad ,because I bought an extended warranty when I bought it it is costing me only 100.00 toreplace it and they have to remove the supercharger to get to it so I am saving 200.00 and my nuckles to have them do it,and I would like to sat to all of you who told me it was the alternator I am sorry for doubting you ,so anybody else having trouble with a camshaft position sensor code have the alternator checked.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If I remember correctly, the CPS CEL is P0340. At least that's the code that told me my CPS was bad and resulted in me changing the CPS's and the Alt if I remember correctly. OP, not trying to be a d!ck here, but I think you would've been better off doing it yourself and putting an aftermarket alt from PA Performance. Think it would've lasted a lot longer than Ford putting another OEM one in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts