Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this on my 2004 auto and seems to have a quicker response but not sure if it's in my head. Your air filter will be more exposed to dirt but I don't wouldn't worry bout it unless you live on a dirt road.

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/intke.htm

Took me about 20 minutes and I don't know **** about cars.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
megax29 said:
I did this on my 2004 auto and seems to have a quicker response but not sure if it's in my head. Your air filter will be more exposed to dirt but I don't wouldn't worry bout it unless you live on a dirt road.

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/intke.htm

Took me about 20 minutes and I don't know **** about cars.
You wont see any real gains by doing this. Some have seen actuall loses by taking it off

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Yea, I did it to my GT and it was a little better, but nothing really good, v6 engines will loss power taking it off. Id say go with a fenderwell mount CAI

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
i dont even remember if i lost or gained on that... it was so long ago that i did it

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
don't rip if off... then you're sucking hot engine air unless you're moving kinda fast. A better thing to do is to cut it so it's still drawing air from the fender, and yet the opening is much larger.... This gave me a little bit quicker I think. I was still drawing cold air, yet it was a larger area of tube it could pass through.. but that's all behind me, I spent the $40ish on a CAI from Ebay... works very good

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Definately not the best mod to do. And just about every car will see a loss in power do to the fact you're now sucking in hotter air. I think I would put this on my top 10 of what not to do. Sorry to have pissed in your cherrios.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I tried it,didn't feel any gain at all.I put it back on.Just cut the opening back to enlarge the air intake,that works.Cooler air with a little more draw.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
:D:D:D:D, one of my suggestions WORKS :D, now slap a K&N on that sh!t and call it good, or spend the $40 for a CAI off Ebay and make it official

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
there is no hp gain from it, u just get a deeper exhaust note (on rangers it does atleast) on another forum a guy dyno'ed before and after, no change in HP just a deeper sound.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did it on mine about 3 weeks ago and I thought I felt a quicker response...might of just wanted to feel a gain. I'll run it today w/o then slap it back on then I'll make a decision to leave the air silencer, cut it, or leave it off. I did buy a k & n filter w/ chrome tubing from ebay yesterday and plan on receiving it on Thursday. I know there's no better substitute than full length CAI. I'll be using your how to install CAI guide...thanks.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put the air silencer back in place and I cut the opening to make it bigger but still left it long enough to draw its air out of the fenderwell. I really do think I feel and extra something. I would recommend this to those who aren't hardcore, don't plan on spending any money on modifying their car but still want an extra pop.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Immediately after putting it on I went to try it out w/ my friend who's got an 89 IROC Z28 and I took him out. I'm not saying it was cuz of the air silencer but still. He claims that his care was stalling a bit but I didn't hear any funny noises.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
In other words..the head dyno felt gains lol. Not the butt dyno. You wanted gains, so you got gains...kinda like when I put a K&N filter on I swear I could feel a difference..eventhough i know damn well there wasn't one.

·
Registered
386 Posts
v6's = no gain or loss. Theres just not the same amount of air restrcition in the 3.8's for it to matter. Yes pete cambell did dyno it and it was a -5rwhp loss on a 3.8 motor.
But the engine was hot, the day was hot, and there were other factors invovled in that dyno as well which i now forget.

The GT's and Cobras will gain from this however.
MM&FF actually did this to the 03 cobra for a + 13 rwhp gain. Yes, they actually did dyno it for some reason. LOL.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
cheap mods like cutting springs and home made cais like that are all a waste of time and money... i used to be young/cheap/poor/16 and tried all of that only to get no where :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts