Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm about to upgrade my stock 17" 2013 wheels to 19" from american muscle, but apon checkout I notice a 199$ option for a tpms. I'm assuming you need this to compensate for the larger wheel size? Any help would be appreciated! Thx

·
Registered
54 Posts
The TPMS option stands for tire pressure monitoring system. They will add the sensors to your new wheels so that your tire monitoring system will still be functional and alert you when the tire pressures are low with the new wheels.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
redstang10 said:
The TPMS option stands for tire pressure monitoring system. They will add the sensors to your new wheels so that your tire monitoring system will still be functional and alert you when the tire pressures are low with the new wheels.
Oh o.k. I didnt know my car even had that! I Guess i should read the manual! Thank you.

·
AmericanMuscle.com
2,878 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm about to upgrade my stock 17" 2013 wheels to 19" from american muscle, but apon checkout I notice a 199$ option for a tpms. I'm assuming you need this to compensate for the larger wheel size? Any help would be appreciated! Thx
MrMike,

Redstang said it perfectly! This is your TPMS system, ford started to put these on all of the Mustangs after the new edges. The drop down option you see is just letting you know that we can install them on your wheels and tires before we ship them out for a fee of $199.99.

If you choose not to run these in your new wheels you will get a warning light. This will stay on at all times because the computer can not hook up with the sensors to give you an accurate tire pressure reading!

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

-Dan

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
AMDanBailer said:
MrMike,

Redstang said it perfectly! This is your TPMS system, ford started to put these on all of the Mustangs after the new edges. The drop down option you see is just letting you know that we can install them on your wheels and tires before we ship them out for a fee of $199.99.

If you choose not to run these in your new wheels you will get a warning light. This will stay on at all times because the computer can not hook up with the sensors to give you an accurate tire pressure reading!

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

-Dan
O.k thx. Can the sensors be used from my old set? Sorry to sound cheap, but my wife has given me a tight budget! But i cant complain because she surprised me with it!

·
Registered
203 Posts
You should be able to reuse the old ones. Its built into the valve stem so you have to just swap the valve stems

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ak_stang said:
You should be able to reuse the old ones. Its built into the valve stem so you have to just swap the valve stems
O.k, thx! Ill youtube it.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
O.k thx. Can the sensors be used from my old set? Sorry to sound cheap, but my wife has given me a tight budget! But i cant complain because she surprised me with it!
MrMike,

Not sure if you already bought the wheels or not, but I just wanted suggest one thing. A lot of our customers buy aftermarket wheels with performance tires to run in the spring/summer/fall. Then put their factory wheels back on for winter months. This way they can have more radical performance tires in the summer and not worry about extreme bad weather (freezing rain, snow, etc). In this case, I would get new TPMS sensors installed into your new wheels, so you can easily swap them back and forth!

Also, don't forget to get a wheel TPMS syncing tool. This tool will allow you to sync new tpms sensors (or old) to your Mustangs computer. This is obviously very useful if you're changing rims once a year!

Hope this helps!

Shane

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
alrefire said:
That measures your speed and gives you a warning I'd your tire needs to e inflated
I was not aware that it measured speed. Are we sure that is correct? I have only heard it goes by axle rotation. And sir, your speed will be off by 5.4%, with the switch and no flash-unless the Tire Pressure Monitoring System somehow checks speed, too.

·
Registered
278 Posts
UltArc said:
I was not aware that it measured speed. Are we sure that is correct? I have only heard it goes by axle rotation. And sir, your speed will be off by 5.4%, with the switch and no flash-unless the Tire Pressure Monitoring System somehow checks speed, too.
+1. When they had the tpms integrated in the abs it could tell difference in speed. (A low tire will turn faster). I think in 08 they made it so its just a sensor inside the tire (band or in valve stem) cuz if all four tires were low with the old set up you wouldn't get a low light cuz there was no speed difference.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
UltArc said:
No it does not measure speed or help the cars speedo compensate for a low tire.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Dub9stang said:
+1. When they had the tpms integrated in the abs it could tell difference in speed. (A low tire will turn faster). I think in 08 they made it so its just a sensor inside the tire (band or in valve stem) cuz if all four tires were low with the old set up you wouldn't get a low light cuz there was no speed difference.
93slowstang said:
No it does not measure speed or help the cars speedo compensate for a low tire.
Thank you for clarifying. I didn't think so, but didn't want to cLl someone out, and I didn't have the energy or time to research before work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts