Mustang Evolution Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
677 Posts
Quick update. I had the driveline shop that was fixing a rear end leak (bad gasket) take a look at the front suspension. The passenger inner tie rod end is starting to go too, so I asked them to replace it. Will see if that takes care of the rest of the noise when I get it back tomorrow.
Keep us posted, looking forward to the update.

·
Pigpen
1,407 Posts
OK. have the car back. They replaced the right inner tie rod and aligned the vehcile. I had previously replaced the outer tie rod ends plus replaced the stock front sway bar bushings with polyurethane. Car is quieter (and no longer intermittently pulls to the left while braking) but there is still an occasional pop/squeak from the front left. Nothing in the suspension is loose or worn that the shop could find, so I'm chalking it up to some old bushings starting to complain. I'll keep an eye on it, and for good measure put a couple of pumps of lube into all the poly bushings on the car.

The main reason I took the car to the shop was for a leaking diff gasket. They replaced it with silicone and refilled, but they must have been really generous with the fill. Thing is venting like a mofo, even with the latest TSB that relocates the vent using a piece of hose. Guess I'll have to do a couple of hot laps to vent off the excess fluid...

Reactions: crjackson

·
Administrator
677 Posts
Excellent news, about your popping noise fix. Regarding the venting of gear oil, they do make catch/drain-back devices. Have you considered one of those?

Reactions: tym_v6

·
Pigpen
1,407 Posts
I've considered that...seems like there are a number of aftermarket ones out there and Shelby even used to put one on their builds. That said, my rear is leak-free when properly filled (wow, don't take that phrase out of context), so I am tempted to let it vent the excess until it assumes the correct level. Another advantage is the breather guarantees an open system in which no excess pressure could build up to damage seals, etc.

·
Administrator
677 Posts
I've considered that...seems like there are a number of aftermarket ones out there and Shelby even used to put one on their builds. That said, my rear is leak-free when properly filled (wow, don't take that phrase out of context), so I am tempted to let it vent the excess until it assumes the correct level. Another advantage is the breather guarantees an open system in which no excess pressure could build up to damage seals, etc.
Some of the capture mods are free breathing too. Mine has vented oil even from the factory fill. I’ve had mine at (undisclosed speed, WAY past the odometer’s abilities). After that run, I had oil from the vent. I’m considering this mod down the road myself.

·
Pigpen
1,407 Posts
Some of the capture mods are free breathing too. Mine has vented oil even from the factory fill. I’ve had mine at (undisclosed speed, WAY past the odometer’s abilities). After that run, I had oil from the vent. I’m considering this mod down the road myself.
You're right. Some Googling shows the JLT rear axle expansion tank is pretty popular, and it has a provision for relocating the factory vent so the system remains open and there is no risk of overpressure. Looks to be part number JLT-AX05.

I think I'm going to be cheap and see if the venting stops after a few days of city driving, and if not, expansion tank time. It's been really hot here lately which probably results in slightly higher rear axle temps.

·
Administrator
677 Posts
You're right. Some Googling shows the JLT rear axle expansion tank is pretty popular, and it has a provision for relocating the factory vent so the system remains open and there is no risk of overpressure. Looks to be part number JLT-AX05.

I think I'm going to be cheap and see if the venting stops after a few days of city driving, and if not, expansion tank time. It's been really hot here lately which probably results in slightly higher rear axle temps.
Yeah, it’s on my short-list. I already use a JLT catchcan on the engine since boosting it, and it works great. The quality of the product is awesome.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive air manifold

Reactions: David Young

·
Pigpen
1,407 Posts
Yeah, it’s on my short-list. I already use a JLT catchcan on the engine since boosting it, and it works great. The quality of the product is awesome.

View attachment 304561 View attachment 304562
My V6 engine compartment is a lot less clean and pretty, but I too have the JLT catch-can for the pass-side PCV. I've had it on there almost since day one and it works great. Some people had issues with the fittings crapping out, but no problems wth mine.

·
Administrator
677 Posts
My V6 engine compartment is a lot less clean and pretty, but I too have the JLT catch-can for the pass-side PCV. I've had it on there almost since day one and it works great. Some people had issues with the fittings crapping out, but no problems wth mine.
I’ve had no problems either. I ordered one for the drivers side too, but it didn’t fit to my CAI properly so I sent it back. I’m going to try again later when I have some time to let the car go to the custom shop. They’ll have to make a mount, and refit the hoses.

That’s a pic of a dirty jewelry box (engine bay). It looks much nicer these days, and I’ve added some dress-up items. I’ll take an updated pic one day

·
Pigpen
1,407 Posts
So I got tired of the puddles of gear oil venting out of the rear end every time I drove. With the car on level ground, I removed the fill plug on the differential housing and was treated to a geyser of gear oil--over one quart. The driveline shop must've filled to the plug hole on the Ford Racing aluminum cover I have, which is 2" higher than the differential fill plug. So the thing was way overfilled.

·
Administrator
677 Posts
I was gonna suggest that (I have the same cover), but I didn’t want to second guess you. Mine vents a tiny bit when I’ve been hooning around on a hot day. But not enough to dribble onto the driveway. Maybe you won’t need anything now. :)

·
Pigpen
1,407 Posts
I was gonna suggest that (I have the same cover), but I didn’t want to second guess you. Mine vents a tiny bit when I’ve been hooning around on a hot day. But not enough to dribble onto the driveway. Maybe you won’t need anything now. :)
I mean, I might buy the parts anyway, 'cuz more mods...LOL.

Yeah, I thought they just overfilled it a little...glad I checked as I was so wrong and risking my car earning the name "Pigpen."

• Haha

·
Administrator
677 Posts
Luckily the vent did it’s job … Do you want me to change your profile descriptor from “Premium Member” to Pigpen?

·
Pigpen
1,407 Posts
Luckily the vent did it’s job … Do you want me to change your profile descriptor from “Premium Member” to Pigpen?
LOL...YES.

·
Pigpen
1,407 Posts

·
Administrator
677 Posts
BTW - When you get that SRA JLT-Catchcan, start a thread and post some good pics.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts