Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to get new tires because mine are 8 years old and dry rotted and they said that they wouldn't put new tires on and they said they wouldn't because the tires on it are rubbing, what could be causing this? Too big of tires? It is happening on both sides.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They said it could be a bent a-arm too, but why would it be both sides.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

My 100th post! Classified here I come!!! Woo hoo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
225/60/r15 is what's on it, stock they are 225/55/vr16. Could it be that they are 5 to wide? Am even right with this? They are in millimeters to right? 225mm/55mm?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Get stock sizes tires back on it. It should tell you the size in the driver or passenger door. If that's not it possible a arm problem.

Jadams
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,162 Posts
How fo you get a 15" tire on a 16" rim
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,890 Posts
DerekJohnScott said:
225/60/r15 is what's on it, stock they are 225/55/vr16. Could it be that they are 5 to wide? Am even right with this? They are in millimeters to right? 225mm/55mm?
The first number is the width, second is the sidewall height
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,890 Posts
Burkeys96GT said:
That is true but the second number Is a percent of width as height so sidewall is 60percent of 225 mm
Kinda...that's the general idea. All manufacturers vary on what the sizes actually measure however.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Your size tire is just fine. There's something else that's causing it to rub. You should have plenty of room with those tires. You can even put 16 and 17" wheels with wider tires then you have now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sybesma07 said:
Your size tire is just fine. There's something else that's causing it to rub. You should have plenty of room with those tires. You can even put 16 and 17" wheels with wider tires then you have now.
Could it be that they are simply turning too far? They only rub when I turn as far is I can.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,444 Posts
Could it be that they are simply turning too far? They only rub when I turn as far is I can.
Your tire size is fine. The factory rack limit clips may not be there. Especially if the rack has been changed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
Let me get this straight....


You have stock wheels correct? ( turbines )
It hasn't pulled left or right on the highway?
And it's rubbing or wearing on the inside or the tire?
What vibrates, the car or the steering wheel
And 225 is mm wide 55 is the RATIO to the sidewall to the width of the tire.
Finally, do you hear it rubbing when you turn the wheel lock to lock and drive slowly in a circle?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stock rims, doesn't pull, doesn't shake except for the flat spots on the tires they only rub when I turn as far as possible. There isn't really any wear on the tire, just the grease is rubbed of the a arm where they touch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
Well from that I can tell you the things it isn't...

Which sometimes is and isn't much help

Only rubbing lock to lock usually means wheels/tires too big but you have stock which means since the are stock it can't be offset.

Since it doesn't wear/pull/shake the alignment is NOT out ( or at least not out enough to be of concern )

No vibration means that the balance is correct.

The only thing you can do really is change the wheels and tires and see if the problem persists.

If it does, then it has to with something else on the suspension or something in the steering as previously mentioned is bad. ( Out of my area of expertise :( )

I hope this contributes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
93slowstang said:
Your tire size is fine. The factory rack limit clips may not be there. Especially if the rack has been changed.
That's what it is. I've got the part ordered. Thanks for the help!

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

wc3john said:
Well from that I can tell you the things it isn't...

Which sometimes is and isn't much help

Only rubbing lock to lock usually means wheels/tires too big but you have stock which means since the are stock it can't be offset.

Since it doesn't wear/pull/shake the alignment is NOT out ( or at least not out enough to be of concern )

No vibration means that the balance is correct.

The only thing you can do really is change the wheels and tires and see if the problem persists.

If it does, then it has to with something else on the suspension or something in the steering as previously mentioned is bad. ( Out of my area of expertise :( )

I hope this contributes!
Thanks for the help! Luckily it isn't the the wheels so I don't have to get new rims. Phew.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top