Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im changing my brake pads on my car, I did the rears with no problem. Just went to do the fronts and my wheels are free spinning, I've tried with my e brake on and off, is this normal or could it be a seized piston?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
What? The ebrake isn't connected to the front wheels. Sometimes they move a bit due to wheel balance but it sure ain't a seized piston or it wouldn't move.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Your front wheels will be able to spin freely if they are off the ground. Not sure why you would think this is an issue.

Using an ebrake only locks the rear wheels.

You should always break the lugs loose while the vehicle is on the ground.

Having an automatic in park or a manual transmission in gear and having the drive wheels off the ground isn't a smart move if you are using the transmission to stop the wheels from turning while trying to break the lugs loose. All that force is going straight to your transmission and that is bad.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I'm scared you are working on a safety system like brakes but seem to have so little understanding of how a car works.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just wondering because as I'm trying to remove the lug nuts it's a pain in the *** because the tire is spinning. Was just wondering if this is normal.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Of course its normal. The brakes shouldn't be dragging while the car is moving and they aren't applied, right?

..and yes, bust em loose on the ground.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right, I guess what I should've posted was whether or not loosening the lug nuts on the ground is what most people do, or if they just have someone apply the brakes.

·
Registered
188 Posts
People are so harsh lol Bro loosen them while the car is on the ground but do not take them off, then put the car up and take the nuts off and then the tire. Same goes for putting the tire back on, tighten when the car is on the ground. Just because the rears worked the way u did it, don't do that again you might break something. Just a heads up, really research everything before you do it so you don't mess it up, even the easy stuff like removing tires, where to place the jack etc.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I thought this was a joke at first too :lol: Remember fellas, we all had to learn this stuff at some point also....:thumb:

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I don't, it was probably near on to 35 years ago. What's missing these days, among many smartphone addicted, are what I call "grandfather skills". There was a basic mechanical competency many more people possessed. They could change a tire, fix a toilet, change a stove element, get a lawnmower started, etc.

If the apocalypse happens tomorrow, the survivors are ****ed, because no one can do anything anymore.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I don't, it was probably near on to 35 years ago. What's missing these days, among many smartphone addicted, are what I call "grandfather skills". There was a basic mechanical competency many more people possessed. They could change a tire, fix a toilet, change a stove element, get a lawnmower started, etc.

If the apocalypse happens tomorrow, the survivors are ****ed, because no one-man do anything anymore.
I notice the same thing.

It gives one hope that there are still people like BlackCoyote who are not afraid to jump in and learn to do their own automobile maintenance. And is not afraid to ask questions along the way.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts

If the apocalypse happens tomorrow, the survivors are ****ed, because no one-man do anything anymore.
I am quite competent and capable in sustaining myself. The only worry I would have in a world disaster is disease and other people.

Then again, I grew up hunting, camping, fishing, etc. Most of the men in my family are also Marines.

I didn't grow up in the "smart phone" society though. I remember when the internet was first introduced. I remember dial up. I had once of the first bag phones, and then a phone actually mounted in my car.

I stayed in this magical place called "outside" with my friends. We rode bikes and skateboards. We did freestyle and built our own ramps. A visit to the ER meant we were dying.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I notice the same thing.

It gives one hope that there are still people like BlackCoyote who are not afraid to jump in and learn to do their own automobile maintenance. And is not afraid to ask questions along the way.
Stray, I have to agree with you. Everyone starts somewhere.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts