Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
The internet can be the great bastion of misinformation, but it is also the collection of millions of folks knowledge.

Blackcoyote....I think it's great you are learning to do things yourself. With that said, you really should do two things.

1. Go to a parts store and buy a Chilton's manual for your car. It will be one of the best purchases you make. I have either a Chilton's manual or Helm CD for all my vehicles (and I bet the majority of the other guys on this site do also).

2. Before you start a project, with manual in hand, search YouTube for a vid of the car project you are about to start. You are working on things that are very serious (brakes). Its not that you can't do it, but you want to ensure that you are doing it correctly.

·
Registered
461 Posts
We rode bikes and skateboards. We did freestyle and built our own ramps. A visit to the ER meant we were dying.
Hahahaha....I got a broken right clavicle from BMX freestylin. Man those were the days. Nothing to do but hang out with the guy's eating junk food and riding bikes. Not a care in the world....until someone got hurt... Hahahaha. Thanks for brining me back. Awesome memories.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Hahahaha....I got a broken right clavicle from BMX freestylin. Man those were the days. Nothing to do but hang out with the guy's eating junk food and riding bikes. Not a care in the world....until someone got hurt... Hahahaha. Thanks for brining me back. Awesome memories.
No cares, no videos, and no pictures. What happened with the guys, stayed with the guys.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Building tree forts out of stolen real estate signs, tramping through the woods pretending it was Middle Earth, sunshine and stupidity....memories.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Building tree forts out of stolen real estate signs, tramping through the woods pretending it was Middle Earth, sunshine and stupidity....memories.
.....and a collection of the battery powered construction zone warning lights.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
....and shopping trolleys from the local Safeway....

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
What? You didn't try to ride them down the steepest local hill, Jackass-style? You missed out man! I can hear the sound of crashing chrome steel in my mind to this day.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
What? You didn't try to ride them down the steepest local hill, Jackass-style? You missed out man! I can hear the sound of crashing chrome steel in my mind to this day.
Great, now I need to go get a cart and try to find what I missed.

4Wheelers, a ski rope, and a wake board was our thing. All we needed was a little bit of water.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Stealing baby coach wheels for our go carts....back from the days when Bill Cosby was still just a funny guy.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
We have officially hijacked this thread. It is now ours. Yes, we are bullies. NOW GIVE ME YOUR LUNCH MONEY!

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I recommend this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Class-Soulcraft-Inquiry-Value/dp/1594202230

or, the Wisdom of the Hands, an essay by Doug Stowe

as inspiration to all who understand the value of hands-on work.

I spent most of the last 15 years teaching shop classes and ended that journey teaching automotive and woodworking to alternate ed kids. I really do miss the work and the kids from time to time. Of late, I've been struck down with severe inflammatory arthritis and, for the first time in my life, I can't do these things I love so much. I struggle with this mightily as something that has defined my life for over 35 years is gone, for who knows how long, maybe forever.

While my drag bike sits, I'm still making my way to the track with my car and shooting loads of nitrous through it so, all is not lost but, anyone who's out there doing their own work, I commend you. Be safe, learn before you touch things but, I congratulate you on taking a risk few seem willing to these days.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am quite competent and capable in sustaining myself. The only worry I would have in a world disaster is disease and other people.

Then again, I grew up hunting, camping, fishing, etc. Most of the men in my family are also Marines.

I didn't grow up in the "smart phone" society though. I remember when the internet was first introduced. I remember dial up. I had once of the first bag phones, and then a phone actually mounted in my car.

I stayed in this magical place called "outside" with my friends. We rode bikes and skateboards. We did freestyle and built our own ramps. A visit to the ER meant we were dying.

If only we could live in that world again.

·
Registered
497 Posts
For the car's sake please don't try changing the brake fluid by yourself. You'll have the lines full of air & you might kill someone.
I have done my own brake work, on my cars and motorcycles. Thank you for your concern, but honestly bleeding brake fluid is not difficult to do correctly.

:cool:

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
It can be tricky on ABS vehicles like this. Thankfully this car is no BMW, that requires a special tool for everything. Still, it can be a challenge to fully replace the fluid and bleed all the air out. I use a power bleeder myself.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have done my own brake work, on my cars and motorcycles. Thank you for your concern, but honestly bleeding brake fluid is not difficult to do correctly.
:cool:
I think he was making the point to BlackCoyote not Scurfie. I believe the point was if BlackCoyote was at such an early stage of learning to change brakes, it's one thing to do a pad swap, but an entirely different thing to bleed calipers and brake lines.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I recommend this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Class-Soulcraft-Inquiry-Value/dp/1594202230

or, the Wisdom of the Hands, an essay by Doug Stowe

as inspiration to all who understand the value of hands-on work.

I spent most of the last 15 years teaching shop classes and ended that journey teaching automotive and woodworking to alternate ed kids. I really do miss the work and the kids from time to time. Of late, I've been struck down with severe inflammatory arthritis and, for the first time in my life, I can't do these things I love so much. I struggle with this mightily as something that has defined my life for over 35 years is gone, for who knows how long, maybe forever.

While my drag bike sits, I'm still making my way to the track with my car and shooting loads of nitrous through it so, all is not lost but, anyone who's out there doing their own work, I commend you. Be safe, learn before you touch things but, I congratulate you on taking a risk few seem willing to these days.
It's nice to find a fellow drag bike racer.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts