Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have a set of hot rod cams and a K&N cold air intake. what would be some good supporting mods to go along with the cams i have to pick up some more power?

Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got a custom tune when i put the cams in. i was thinking about the headers. which ones would give a muscle car growl? im not really looking for a raspy sound.

·
Registered
660 Posts
05stangGT said:
i got a custom tune when i put the cams in. i was thinking about the headers. which ones would give a muscle car growl? im not really looking for a raspy sound.
For a deeper muscular sound go with an H pipe. The headers themselves dont determine how raspy or deep the sound is.

·
Registered
660 Posts
05stangGT said:
ok thanks! does a H pipe give the same amount of power gain as an x pipe?
Im not 100% sure, but i heard H pipes are a little better in performance. Anyone correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Im not 100% sure, but i heard H pipes are a little better in performance. Anyone correct me if im wrong.
I think you lose a little low end torque with X pipes.

·
Registered
916 Posts
H pipes are more torque and low end. X Pipes are more HP and top end.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys for the advice. is there any type of long tube header and O/R H pipe that would help the most with my cams?

·
Registered
916 Posts
If you want to spend the money, go with kooks headers with their h pipe.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Those will net you a nice gain with the cams. BBK also seem to be pretty good with cams. But really all headers are going to work well with cams. Just some a little better than others and quality also a little better than others as well.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
DDTCM said:
Cams without headers are gonna be pointless. Let her breathe.
Would headerless cause crappy idle? Like yeah its sucks to the point of the engine dying while idling.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Butch said:
Would headerless cause crappy idle? Like yeah its sucks to the point of the engine dying while idling.
No it won't run like that if its tuned right. You just won't see the power that you would with headers and cams.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Stang23 said:
No it won't run like that if its tuned right. You just won't see the power that you would with headers and cams.
Ah I see. So cams need a tune? Does bama tune cams?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Butch said:
Ah I see. So cams need a tune? Does bama tune cams?
Ya Bama does. But to benefit the most with cams a dyno tune would be the best

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
muscledom said:
Yes they do
Stang23 said:
Ya Bama does. But to benefit the most with cams a dyno tune would be the best
Awesome. Well atleast a for now tune would be good, for now. My buddy had called the next town over and they wanted to charge em around $700 if im correct. But the thing was they wanted him to buy a program he would need. So would he be able to keep it? Ja jk of course not.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Butch said:
Awesome. Well atleast a for now tune would be good, for now. My buddy had called the next town over and they wanted to charge em around $700 if im correct. But the thing was they wanted him to buy a program he would need. So would he be able to keep it? Ja jk of course not.
700 for an email tune or dyno tune? And what kind of program are you talking about? Do you mean a handheld programmer?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts