Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
friend got a 2007 mustang GT, (hopefully he joins here soon himself) it is bone stock and he said he is getting 370 km (231 Miles) per tank. and when my 07 was stock i was getting over 450+ km (281 Miles) probably more. any ideas as to why his car is so inefficient? I get over 500 km (312 Miles) now after some mods and a tune :)

Thnx

·
Registered
307 Posts
Silversky545 said:
Not as well kept, heavy foot, auto, uses 87 octane, dirty filter and or tb, the list goes on and on
+1 on the heavy foot. I can usually get close to an extra 50 miles on my tank just by wearing a lighter shoe lol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm getting about 280-290 miles per tank on my commute with a mix of highway and city driving. Hell I've gotten over 30 mpg before on a 200 mile trip keep it on cruise control! Needless to say it's not how I drive a mustang all the time!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can't say that mine is even close to stock or that I am light footed but I get about 200 out of a tank. Just throwing that out there. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use to get 312 per tank but now I get 260 per tank don't know why ?mabe I should do A tune up but I only have 40 k on a 2006 it's wierd

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Pattyboy said:
I use to get 312 per tank but now I get 260 per tank don't know why ?mabe I should do A tune up but I only have 40 k on a 2006 it's wierd
Did you change tire size?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
One thing to note is actual mpg. When my light comes on, 400-450 miles, I can run to 475-550 miles. I drive a solid 10-20 miles into my "no fuel left!" zone.

So he might be getting fine mpg, but he fills up at a different time. I believe the 2012 v6 has a light come on around 14 gallons used, from experience. Others will have to chime in about yours and his years. But if someone thought there tank was empty and filled up when the light came on, in a 2012, they would be losing 62 to 84 miles per tank.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Aggiesrok said:
He would have to have a MASSIVE size jump. Like, 10 inches bigger lol

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
UltArc said:
One thing to note is actual mpg. When my light comes on, 400-450 miles, I can run to 475-550 miles. I drive a solid 10-20 miles into my "no fuel left!" zone.

So he might be getting fine mpg, but he fills up at a different time. I believe the 2012 v6 has a light come on around 14 gallons used, from experience. Others will have to chime in about yours and his years. But if someone thought there tank was empty and filled up when the light came on, in a 2012, they would be losing 62 to 84 miles per tank.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

He would have to have a MASSIVE size jump. Like, 10 inches bigger lol
It changed your speed as well as your odometer. Bald tires vs new tires can knock your speedo 5 mph at 70.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Aggiesrok said:
Yes I did I had 17 " changed it to 18 " but I lowered the size of tire and also went wider I guess that may be the reason . I'm sure that can be adjusted right

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Pattyboy said:
Yes I did I had 17 " changed it to 18 " but I lowered the size of tire and also went wider I guess that may be the reason . I'm sure that can be adjusted right
A smaller diameter will turn faster and show more distance. I had the same problem after changing tire profiles. I fixed it with my SCT tuner, you can tell it the revs per Mille of your tire and correct your speedo. Discount tire has a calculator on their website for how much your speed will be off by changing tire size.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Aggiesrok said:
It changed your speed as well as your odometer. Bald tires vs new tires can knock your speedo 5 mph at 70.
I don't think bald tires could function that low. Cutting two inches off the size would not be drive able. Tread is usually an eight of an inch or so, if the tires didn't pop, all of the wiring would behanging out. Maybe if the tire pressure was crazy low, it might also have that affect.

Aggiesrok said:
A smaller diameter will turn faster and show more distance. I had the same problem after changing tire profiles. I fixed it with my SCT tuner, you can tell it the revs per Mille of your tire and correct your speedo. Discount tire has a calculator on their website for how much your speed will be off by changing tire size.
Every inch is 2.7%. keep in mind increasing tire size is like lowering your gearing, and decreasing tire size is like increasing the gearing.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I don't think bald tires could function that low. Cutting two inches off the size would not be drive able. Tread is usually an eight of an inch or so, if the tires didn't pop, all of the wiring would behanging out. Maybe if the tire pressure was crazy low, it might also have that affect.

Every inch is 2.7%. keep in mind increasing tire size is like lowering your gearing, and decreasing tire size is like increasing the gearing.
My tires have more than an 1/8" of tread. But remember that it's double that because it affects the diameter, so 1/2" of tread has a 1" diameter effect. Add in a lower than normal tire pressure and bumping up to a larger tire. My speedo was off by 5 mph after changing to a 1 plus tire size, maybe it was off to begin with. But it does change your speedo and odometer.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Aggiesrok said:
My tires have more than an 1/8" of tread. But remember that it's double that because it affects the diameter, so 1/2" of tread has a 1" diameter effect. Add in a lower than normal tire pressure and bumping up to a larger tire. My speedo was off by 5 mph after changing to a 1 plus tire size, maybe it was off to begin with. But it does change your speedo and odometer.
If you bumped up a tire size, and never changed the computer, then low tire pressure and low tread should have evened it out.

But I do get what you are saying. I have always driven total junk to save my money for a decent vehicle, so economy tires are definitely different than ours. I noticed our speedo's are huge, which I think is made to account for different tire sizes, since we can have 17,18,19, or 20. It might even go higher, as a factory option.

One reason I bought instrumentation is to ACTUALLY see how fast I am going-our speedo guessing game is not fun to me lol

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I get 31.6 mpg if i keep my foot out of it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts