Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anybody has made their non-functional scoop actually functional? Was thinking of fabbing out some sort of duct once I finally get my CAI. I'm sure someone must have already done this but I thought I'd ask ya'll before I start trolling the Internet.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
fomoco4life said:
Wondering if anybody has made their non-functional scoop actually functional? Was thinking of fabbing out some sort of duct once I finally get my CAI. I'm sure someone must have already done this but I thought I'd ask ya'll before I start trolling the Internet.
Look down a couple post this was just posted.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
i've seen a couple of people do this...usually they regret it due to making their engine bay dirty all the time..and having water fall directly down on top of where the coils are since there's not trap for a functional scoop.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
fomoco4life said:
This is all but totally point less!.. You won't be able to create a "Ram Air" affect, so about the only thing you'll do is just make a really fancy Fender Mount CAI!.. My advice is don't do it!.. It is a waste of time!..

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I like the Look and functionality of a shaker, but I prefer the looks of our scoop. I was looking to pipe some sort of duct to my CAI to make it an actual RAM system. I'll keep researching... the more air the better

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
fomoco4life said:
Well I like the Look and functionality of a shaker, but I prefer the looks of our scoop. I was looking to pipe some sort of duct to my CAI to make it an actual RAM system. I'll keep researching... the more air the better
One problem!.. It doesn't actually Ram anything!.. The best it does is just help to funnel out side air to the filter!.. I've researched it myself, and basically by the time the air reaches the filter it has slowed down to much for it to be effective!.. In the end you'll end up with wasting time and money with next to no gains to show for it!..

For a "Ram Air System" to be effective you'll have to completely seal off the scoop to the hood!.. Our scoops are just for show so they are simply bolted down!.. Next you have to route the air to the filter and make sure that is also sealed off!.. Then you have to seal off the filter housing to everything else minus your "Ram Air" setup!.. One little leak in the entire system and you loose that Ram Air effect!.. But like I said above, by the time the air gets to the filter it has slowed down so that you no longer have that Ram Air effect!.. Just think of where your Hood Scoop is in relation to where your air filter is, and then the distance the air would have to travel from the scoop to the filter!.. It's just to far!.. For it to even be some what effective, your scoop would have to sit right above or right in front of your air filter!.. Not to mention the speeds that you'll have to travel at for it to take effect!..

Like I've said I already researched it and I'm just trying to save you from wasting your time and money!.. Save your cash and time for a mod that will actually affect your performance in a positive way!..

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
fomoco4life said:
Mine is fully functional, it makes my motor run a slight cooler than before. I get no dust or water in mine, ill post a link of what I did. http://motortalkblog.com/2010/12/05/how-to-make-a-01-04-mustang-gt-hood-scoop-functional/.
It's very easy to do and I always thought it was dumb to have a hood scoop that didn't work. I have ran very high speeds with mine like this and never a problem I would do it again if I had to all and all I'm happy with it.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Ryan7racin said:
Mine is fully functional, it makes my motor run a slight cooler than before. I get no dust or water in mine, ill post a link of what I did. http://motortalkblog.com/2010/12/05/how-to-make-a-01-04-mustang-gt-hood-scoop-functional/.
It's very easy to do and I always thought it was dumb to have a hood scoop that didn't work. I have ran very high speeds with mine like this and never a problem I would do it again if I had to all and all I'm happy with it.
Here's some pics.....

Attachments

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Eturner said:
Did the same thing with mine!.. Even took it a step further and removed that underwood blanket!..
And you don't like it? I haven't had any problems with mine at all, and when it rains I get zero water in mine. Im sure it doesn't give it anymore power or anything like a ram air but I did make it run a little cooler. Before my temp gage was dead even up and down now it runs a little on the cold side.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Ryan7racin said:
And you don't like it? I haven't had any problems with mine at all, and when it rains I get zero water in mine. Im sure it doesn't give it anymore power or anything like a ram air but I did make it run a little cooler. Before my temp gage was dead even up and down now it runs a little on the cold side.
Didn't say I didn't like it!.. Simply that it don't give it a "Ram Air" affect like the OP is looking for!..

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
the temp gauge in our car is kinda useless though..it's one of the first gauges i put in my last two stangs (autometer temp gauge).

i would however like to see some under hood temps taken Ryan if you have a friend with a new edge GT. Yes it won't be exact but with some similar running conditions before the testing you can get a couple temps and then do an average.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts