Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Although the road test in this month's Car and Driver is about the new Camaro V6 (which by all accounts is a pretty decent combination), this paragraph made me smile and is sure to raise the ire of some here:

"Six cylinder engines are legitimately desirable in imports - BMW's, Jaguars, Porsches - yet in pony cars they've always been plagued by the Rodney Dangerfield syndrome. As the old Camaro/Challenger/Mustang rap goes, V8's are for those serious about performance, V6's are for secretarial pools and rental fleets."

Flame suit on.......remember folks, Don Sherman said it, I only posted it........

·
Premium Member
6,813 Posts
Back then it was for the most part true. That SOHC straight 6 out of those late 60's Pontiacs was a mean little dude, though. Sure there's others but that's the only one I can think of at the moment for the muscle car era.

Adventure till you drop.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Back then it was for the most part true. That SOHC straight 6 out of those late 60's Pontiacs was a mean little dude, though. Sure there's others but that's the only one I can think of at the moment for the muscle car era.
My parents bought a brand new 1967 Mustang coupe for my brother just before he left for the Air Force. Lime Gold, 200 cubic inch 6 cylinder with a three speed manual.
That Mustang cost $2,700 out the door, and I inherited it when my brother left. I drove that straight six for three years in High School -- fun car!
I still think of the OHC 6 in the LeMans as the precursor of the GTO. They put that in the Firebird too, didn't they?

·
Premium Member
6,813 Posts
Correct. It's also the one I was talking about as well. A customer of mine had a juiced up version (69 Firebird Sprint) of it back in the day. Wheels spin in all 4 gears. No way near stock.

Adventure till you drop.

·
Registered
789 Posts
My Dad built a dragster for Roy Dunn of Humboldt county fame, that had a 235 Chevy in it. Thing was an absolute terror. Set many a record. Later the same car and frame got a 265 then a 283 before the NHRA said you could no longer use home made frames. That was in the days of front engine & smokem till the end.:thumb:

·
Registered
141 Posts
315hp and 31mpg i dunno how anyone could hate on the v6 mustangs of today... but what the europeans are doing is providing a turbo 6 cylinder (imo the straight 6 is the better set up ; BMW) and ford went and put the 4 banger back in with a turbo *bang head on wall*

the new ecoboost is something a lot of people like, but it doesn't fit right in a mustang... i would rather see them dig up the old 300 straight six that came in these cars before the 289 was even available and then twin turbo THAT and tell me you don't have a sick 6 cyl mustang then!

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with Strange Mud. Gimme then V8 everyday.
I agree -- especially for the convertible. I always put the top down before I start it up in the garage just to listen to the V8 light off.........then of course, there are the tunnels in second gear, and a RIIIIIIIP to higher rpm's! Goosebumps every time!:dance:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Although the road test in this month's Car and Driver is about the new Camaro V6 (which by all accounts is a pretty decent combination), this paragraph made me smile and is sure to raise the ire of some here:

"Six cylinder engines are legitimately desirable in imports - BMW's, Jaguars, Porsches - yet in pony cars they've always been plagued by the Rodney Dangerfield syndrome. As the old Camaro/Challenger/Mustang rap goes, V8's are for those serious about performance, V6's are for secretarial pools and rental fleets."

Flame suit on.......remember folks, Don Sherman said it, I only posted it........
I read that also in Car and Driver. We traded in our 2013 MCA Sp. ED. eight days ago for a 2016 GT. Note the avatar picture. I really missed the V-8 sound and as much as I liked the 305 HP six in the MCA [ same HP as my 2004 Mach 1] I needed that sound again. The 16 is light years ahead of the last mustang and I'm soooooo happy now.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
it is interesting how Ford/Chevy value the Turbo/V6 engine choices. At the Home Show this weekend they had the new Camaro.....the side windows are something I'm surprised to see on something besides a concept car. I'm gonna guess only 14-15" high.

·
Registered
192 Posts
315hp and 31mpg i dunno how anyone could hate on the v6 mustangs of today... but what the europeans are doing is providing a turbo 6 cylinder (imo the straight 6 is the better set up ; BMW) and ford went and put the 4 banger back in with a turbo *bang head on wall*

the new ecoboost is something a lot of people like, but it doesn't fit right in a mustang... i would rather see them dig up the old 300 straight six that came in these cars before the 289 was even available and then twin turbo THAT and tell me you don't have a sick 6 cyl mustang then!
300 straight 6 was never in the Mustang. A 200 and a 250 6 were used.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Rodney is the nickname for my V6. I named it that because of the "no respect" aspect V6 Mustangs get. Great quote.

·
Registered
141 Posts
300 straight 6 was never in the Mustang. A 200 and a 250 6 were used.
oh my bad lol i still mean the 300 straight six used in the 80s model F150s and i'm sure many other vehicles ford made as well. thing would take outrageous amounts of abuse, i can't say i know for sure the 200 and 250cid would as well.

·
Registered
192 Posts
oh my bad lol i still mean the 300 straight six used in the 80s model F150s and i'm sure many other vehicles ford made as well. thing would take outrageous amounts of abuse, i can't say i know for sure the 200 and 250cid would as well.
F series and Ford Vans is where it was used. It used also in the full size Bronco.

·
Premium Member
6,813 Posts
My parents bought a brand new 1967 Mustang coupe for my brother just before he left for the Air Force. Lime Gold, 200 cubic inch 6 cylinder with a three speed manual.

That Mustang cost $2,700 out the door, and I inherited it when my brother left. I drove that straight six for three years in High School -- fun car!

I still think of the OHC 6 in the LeMans as the precursor of the GTO. They put that in the Firebird too, didn't they?
Remembered another one. Before the Muscle car era they had those Twin H power Hudson Hornets. Some wicked 6 bangers back in the 50s.

Adventure till you drop.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Remembered another one. Before the Muscle car era they had those Twin H power Hudson Hornets. Some wicked 6 bangers back in the 50s.

Adventure till you drop.

It is still hard for me to believe that they made race cars (and successful ones at that) out of those bulbous creations....but you are right -- those old Hudson sixes beat all comers.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts