Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let you guys know about this. I got an underdrive pulley about a year and a half ago, and in that time I've gone through 3 serpantine belts. They go fine for a while, then they start squeeling and eventually die. One shreaded itselfand tore up my fire blanket and battery holder, the other just started falling off. I've fixed this on mine and I figured I'd let everybody know about it. Since the belts stretch a little over time, having a belt where the tensioner is all the way out when it's tight, isn't the greatest way to go about it. Currently I'm running a 95.5" belt and it works great. The tensioner is nice and tight and it won't squeel. I also can't just slip the belt out from under the idler pulley anymore like I could with the longer belt. If anyone else is having this problem, try the smaller belt. It's also cheaper than the 96.8" one. the 95.5 was only $15 as opposed ot the $28 for the bigger one.
Wish i would have though of this $70 ago :oops:

·
Registered
941 Posts
huh, that's funny, what underdrive setup do you have? i have a 25% underdrive on the crank only and am running a 96.6" with no problems, and have for a couple years.

·
Registered
941 Posts
sorry rellik, i was reffering to horse's belt problems. serpentine belts do need replacing, but your car is what, 5-6 years old? i wouldn't think you'd need one already. when you do buy one, i suggest a Gates brand... it should last forever... and it's warrantied forever i think too. the down side is that mine was 30$ i think.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an ASP 25% underdrive pulley

·
Registered
941 Posts
oh, and for the record i have the exact same pulley (25% ASP) and year car as horse's. 96"-96.5" both work fine from what my friends have said as well.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i've installed a few 96.8" belts and didn't like how they felt, so I sell 96" belts with my UD pulleys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts