Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know what it is, but for some reason my car gets very crappy gass milage. Im talking like 150 - 180 Miles to the tank. Any ideas of what might be causing this? And how much do you guys normally get? 98, V6, Auto is what I have.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
i get around 300 in town miles to the tank, around 360 highway miles to the tank

but then, my stang is completely stock

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
OK, first of all, don't check your miles per tank, check your mpg, tank miles is totally inaccurate. I recently checked the mpg on a combined city-highway fillup on my GT and got around 18.5+ I was happy with that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rick0636 said:
OK, first of all, don't check your miles per tank, check your mpg, tank miles is totally inaccurate. I recently checked the mpg on a combined city-highway fillup on my GT and got around 18.5+ I was happy with that.
I totally agree with this. The gauge on the tank is heavily electronically dampened, and not accurate.

We can make you a program for max MPG if it is really an issue...

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Where in South Carolina do you live? Maybe if you live close enough I can help you out replacing a few things like your fuel filter and other stuff.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
98VroomVroom said:
I dont know what it is, but for some reason my car gets very crappy gass milage. Im talking like 150 - 180 Miles to the tank. Any ideas of what might be causing this? And how much do you guys normally get? 98, V6, Auto is what I have.

Does the car drive good? Idle rough. Does it do anything out of the ordinary?

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
last TOG i got 18.6mpg hehe i didnt drive nice and easy that week. on a TOG i cna go norm. about 250-300miles (from the dash readout)

·
Registered
30 Posts
It sounds like its time for a tuneup for you buddy... 150-180 miles per tank is bad unless you have a lot of mods or you just floor it everywhere! I drive pretty aggressively and when I floor it every where I still get about 250... if I drive nice about 320, talk about a difference! Anyways, for max mpg the best speed to go is 55 mph, after that speed your mpg drastically drops off. This assumes you are either in 5th speed or overdrive 4th. If you have a 6th gear, then 65 would be best for you. Learning to drive for MPG can be a bit tedious if you really like driving, youll have to go the speed limit, not floor it to pass cars just to get a second ahead of them, accelerate slowly on onramps to the highway and onto main roads from a stop, etc... Here is what I would do if you haven't had it done recently:
Change fuel filter
Change O2 sensors
Change oil
Change oil filter
Change spark plugs (get autolites, the local store can help you)
- Also, gap them yourself! Get a gapper from the store too, its not hard at all.

Change spark plug wires

Run a three stage system fuel system cleaner through your engine
- 1st stage is throttle body cleaner, you spray it through your intake while the engine is running
- 2nd stage is a liquid that is drawn in through your vacuum lines into the upper intake and decarbonizes your intake
- 3rd stage is a fuel injector cleaner that you poor in your tank
If your injectors are bad, you might have to get them professionally cleaned.

Change your air filter

If you do all of this and you still have problems with gas mileage, do you have any smoking from your exhaust or does it feel like maybe one cylinder isn't firing? Your coil could have gone bad and a cylinder isn't getting a spark, or the Cam position sensor is out and you are in the limp driving mode so to say.
Dan

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
what are your driving habits? get on it every chance you get? burn down some rubber at every stop sign & redlight?

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
i manage 21-23mpg city/hwy mix with my mods normal driving getting on it just a bit of everythign. I just clean my injectors every oil change and change the fuel filter all that little stuff helps.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
You can only gap copper plugs, platnium plugs are preset. If you try to regap them they could crack.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
255 seems kinda low for 20mph, i do nearly 300 a tank and get 21-22~ when i do the math

·
Registered
11 Posts
I normaly get about 21-23 mpg in the city, but that is when I nurse the throttle and my last road trip I got 27mpg! But even when I go to the track and drive aggressivly I get at least 18 mpg.

·
Registered
19 Posts
bet u guys wish u had my beater, 30 mpg no mater how i drive it (well almost no matter) its a 99zx2 :) it could get cold air, and ud pullies. that would give it more power (120 flywheel:nonono:) and better gas milage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts