Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the 3.73's that I ordered from ford when I bought my car and have had no issue at all with gear whine until now. It's bad in first and second and I am just wondering if a fluid change would erase this or is it a warranty issue or just something I have to live with.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Gear whine from the rear end doesn't vary with gears selected. It's road speed and load related. Noise in gears is your MT-82, I'd bet.

·
Registered
145 Posts
5LHO said:
Gear whine from the rear end doesn't vary with gears selected. It's road speed and load related. Noise in gears is your MT-82, I'd bet.
Would you be able to get a video/audio of the whine? Whine was the leading cause to me swapping out the MT-82 for the Tremec mag xl. Before the swap my trans sounded like an old kenne bell cobra supercharger.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya exactly same here. During the Statesboro summers you can't here anything but sense the temps have dropped I have rattles and transmission whine

·
Registered
53 Posts
Matt you know this is Rusty right haha? Yeah these getreg tranies make noise. They definitely need to be warmed up.

·
Registered
265 Posts
During the past 1000 miles or so, I've been noticing a faint 3.73 Torsen whine on my '14 TP at highway speeds. When I decellerate, the whine goes away, and comes back when I level off or accellerate again. She's a 6-MT and has 2300 miles on the clock. I haven't found a solid fluid brand change consensus hereabouts. Can the experienced Torsen owners give me advice on fluid brands to try, or should I be steered directly toward Ford for inspection and possible repair? I really hate to have her exposed to rectum surgery. Anbody have a reliable silver bullet that will keep her out of the shop and the hands of strangers?;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Put some redline in the tranny and keep on truckin.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's the differential that whines.
Oh, I thought y'all were saying it was his trans. If it's the diff. did he use the right rear end fluid and additive if required?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Oh, I thought y'all were saying it was his trans. If it's the diff. did he use the right rear end fluid and additive if required?
This started out to be a differential whine thread and turned to tranny. I fired it up again, because the thread title plainly described MY problem.

I can verify my problem is not the tranny. I had a friend drive it down the interstate, while I dropped the seat backs and stuck my head into the trunk area. The whine is definitely coming from the differential. Now, my Torsen and tranny both are still running on factory fill. She only has 2300 miles on the clock. Can you suggest an alternative fluid that meets any/all Ford standards, and is the suggestion proven to help/cure faint whining? Or am I better off letting Ford diagnose and fix it before I change fluid?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would take it to ford. That's what your warranty is for
I understand warranties and their purpose. I just really hate for them to "f" around with it. But, I guess I could take it to my Quicklane manager friend first and let him check it out. He's also a service tech. If he notes the problem, he will slip me through the system a lot easier than my going to Service alone.

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
I understand warranties and their purpose. I just really hate for them to "f" around with it. But, I guess I could take it to my Quicklane manager friend first and let him check it out. He's also a service tech. If he notes the problem, he will slip me through the system a lot easier than my going to Service alone.
I say go for it :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
i changed my rear gear to a FR3.73 and changed lockers and mine whines too. ALOT of whine is a worry but a lil is ok(per what i was told by AM when i ordered the gear)but i was nervous as all get bout it and Ford techs say its fine and both my mechanics say its fine as long as the backlash and pinion depth are within tolerance with a good mesh you should be good to go Boss. But i understand better safe than sorry

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
During the past 1000 miles or so, I've been noticing a faint 3.73 Torsen whine on my '14 TP at highway speeds. When I decellerate, the whine goes away, and comes back when I level off or accellerate again. She's a 6-MT and has 2300 miles on the clock. I haven't found a solid fluid brand change consensus hereabouts. Can the experienced Torsen owners give me advice on fluid brands to try, or should I be steered directly toward Ford for inspection and possible repair? I really hate to have her exposed to rectum surgery. Anbody have a reliable silver bullet that will keep her out of the shop and the hands of strangers?;)
I have the exact same problem man, although i dont have the torsen, but do have 3.73s. Literally the exact same thing as your describing though. Seems to be the loudest between 60-65 mph in 6th gear.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i changed my rear gear to a FR3.73 and changed lockers and mine whines too. ALOT of whine is a worry but a lil is ok(per what i was told by AM when i ordered the gear)but i was nervous as all get bout it and Ford techs say its fine and both my mechanics say its fine as long as the backlash and pinion depth are within tolerance with a good mesh you should be good to go Boss. But i understand better safe than sorry
Thanks for your input. I'm old skool and have been a lifelong user of the Ford 9" differential. Never had one whine before, so I want to make sure this Torsen is checked.

I have the exact same problem man, although i dont have the torsen, but do have 3.73s. Literally the exact same thing as your describing though. Seems to be the loudest between 60-65 mph in 6th gear.
I only notice whine at highway speeds. Being it's faint, I'm going to get it checked out and documented, in case it gets worse later on.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts