Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a local reputable performance shop gave me a quote "gears will range from $175-300 and a programmer will be $380.00. labor for everything installed will be about 4 hrs = $280.00" seems a bit high in my opinion. My cousin said me n him could do it in about 8 hrs but i don't wanna mess with it honestly.

·
Premium Member
19,573 Posts
That is a normal price for gears

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Shows how much i know lol. Ill be savin up for that then. Id rather a pro do it right the first time so it'll be worth the extra money. Should be a first good mod.
So what gears are you going with? I payed $800 parts+ labor to have my 4.10's installed

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

And GREAT first mod.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking 3.73 bc it is my DD and i do a good deal of highway driving. Correct me of im wrong it comes stock with 3.27 gears so itll be a noticeable difference. They also gave me a quote of 5500 for a procharger kit installed and tuned, but thats almost how much i payed for my car. Right now im lookin at gears and then a full exhaust system from headers to tips.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I was thinking 3.73 bc it is my DD and i do a good deal of highway driving. Correct me of im wrong it comes stock with 3.27 gears so itll be a noticeable difference. They also gave me a quote of 5500 for a procharger kit installed and tuned, but thats almost how much i payed for my car. Right now im lookin at gears and then a full exhaust system from headers to tips.
I did 4.10's and I don't regret it at ALL. It might be diffrent in the 05-09 ones tho.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$100 is a steal! I was told my top end would drop dramatically and i would tach at about 4k on the highway @ 70 mph if i went with the 4.10. Sounds a bit embellished, but i think 3.73 would be a good fit for me.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Psh, that's really cheap. A lot of people will quote 400-800 for gear install. I put in 3.90's. well worth it.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
cheap installs on gears end up coating you more than having it done right the first time, just FYI. Even high dollar installs can have issues but they usually cover it (get warranty in writing on gear whine etc else they will blame it on "racing"....)

·
Registered
559 Posts
cheap installs on gears end up coating you more than having it done right the first time, just FYI. Even high dollar installs can have issues but they usually cover it (get warranty in writing on gear whine etc else they will blame it on "racing"....)
My install is cheap because he owns his own business as a mechanic. He doesn't have to pay any workers or anything, plus I know him very well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
GreenBean 1809 said:
$100 is a steal! I was told my top end would drop dramatically and i would tach at about 4k on the highway @ 70 mph if i went with the 4.10. Sounds a bit embellished, but i think 3.73 would be a good fit for me.
It was still under 3k Rpms at 70 with my 4.10s.

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

iLLRedGT said:
It was still under 3k Rpms at 70 with my 4.10s.
In my old 04* sorry forgot to add that

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.