Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally wanted 3.73 gears, but then I thought "I want to put the BEST I can on my car" so idk if 4.10 gears would be better

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Best in what sense? If you are buying the same brand (would only get FRPP) then they are of the same quality.

The ratio depends on several factors. Auto/Manual. Tire and rim size, What application is the car going to be used for i.e street/strip, street only, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile car, road course, Tranny stall converter flash (if auto), gear ratio of transmission, gas milage if that is a concern, power adders... I could go on and on.

What are you looking to do with the car and how is it driven.

Use one of these (lots of different ones online)

http://www.cargister.com/calculator-gear-ratio

Type in the gear ratio final drive, tire size, gear ratio of each gear in tranny etc. and it wil spit out real numbers for you RPM, Speed wise.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use my car every day but I want to be able to be fast if I do race it, I have 19in. Wheels, manual transmission

·
Registered
744 Posts
Sanguin said:
If you go 4.10 with a manual, you'll hate yourself DDing it. Way more shifting.
This. 4.10's are overkill IMO for DDing. Go with 3.73s they will be perfect.

·
Registered
42 Posts
+1 I just had my 3.73 gear upgade this past weekend. Boy does it feel like another car from the stock 2.7's. Only ding is that I am using 6th gear more than I had crusing on the surface streets. IMO This should have been my first upgrade.

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
For me, I went with the 3:31 gearing, due to mileage concerns. I drive almost 700 miles a week, and I liked the MPG rating of this V6. The 3:31 was a big difference (for the better) over the stock gearing in the way of quicker acceleration. I know I'll never see the advertised 31 MPG the stock V6 is supposed to get, but with 3:31's, I get an honest 23.8 to 24.2 MPG with highway driving.

I'll bet the 3:73 is a blast (no pun intended) to drive with.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Every gear ratio number higher is about a 5% increase in torque FYI. In my last Mustang I went from the stock 3.31 to a 4.30 but it was an auto. I had friends go with 4.10's and I drove their cars plenty. The first gear was short. (though so was mine but I was an auto)

Same car with 4.10's got a 3.73 gear (blew up the rear with the 4.10's) and it felt better in first as it was a longer pull and easier to get on and off the clutch but it did feel as though it was bogging.. Solution: Supercharger!

I would go with the 3.73 personally if those are the only two ratio's you are looking at but if you are open to others a 3.55 would be a bit better on gas... 3.90 would be a good choice if you want a bit more jump from the 3.73...

Overall though. Most even with a v8 will say a 3.73 is a good all around gear for gas and fun driving and will allow for a supercharger to still have good range of power.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
So how is the jump on the 3.9's?
it will raise the rpm about 125 more in each gear when at speed more than 3.73 gears... So not much more gas consumption. They will accel slightly quicker a 3.73 as well. My advice would be to use the calculator and figure out rpm at 45, 55, 65, etc. This will be your best tool since it is a street car first.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
My biggest concern about the 3.73 gears would be, will it be too much tire spin on the stock tires for a 2011 v6 plus? I have a 11 V6 and want to get rid of the horrible 2.73 stock gears. (Man they $uck). I'm looking to leave the stock tires on it and am concerned the 3.73 gears will spin the stock tires like crazy when punching it from a dead stop. I am thinking maybe 3:55 gears would be better in the sense of less tire spin for the stock tires. If your spinning, you ain't moving.

Any thoughts on 3.73 compared to 3:55 gears when it comes to one keeping stock tires.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
My biggest concern about the 3.73 gears would be, will it be too much tire spin on the stock tires for a 2011 v6 plus? I have a 11 V6 and want to get rid of the horrible 2.73 stock gears. (Man they $uck). I'm looking to leave the stock tires on it and am concerned the 3.73 gears will spin the stock tires like crazy when punching it from a dead stop. I am thinking maybe 3:55 gears would be better in the sense of less tire spin for the stock tires. If your spinning, you ain't moving.

Any thoughts on 3.73 compared to 3:55 gears when it comes to one keeping stock tires.
They spin but not crazy spin. I have 4.10'a on my auto and mine spin crazy lol but I'm getting new shoes for my pony. Some 305 size shoes so yea that's gna help alot!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts