Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seeing what kind of gears I should get for my 96 v6 its an auto, also what changes could I see performance wise? Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
4.10 gears and a bearing kit will make a huge difference in the driving experience every single time you drive the car. It never gets old, it's such a huge improvement accelerating from a dead stop or merging on the highway. You can still get Ford bearing kits 7.5" from stangmods.com.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Big thing is to research your area, on who can do the job and how much. I do have the 410 gears, I don't really know anything about the Bearing kit that was mentioned. You will notice a huge difference with it, be cautious with it when you first get it done, take time to get use to the difference in the gears, don't just hop in the car and slam on the gas (BIG NO,NO).

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Also remember I mentioned that stangmods.com is the only place I know of to get Ford gears (as apposed to Motive)- reputable Mustang shop is important.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Will the 4:10's kill my gas mileage on my v6 auto?
You may notice a little change in the mileage. I did notice a little change while on the HWY. It is said that: you will lose alittle on the HWY, but will gain a little in the city driving. I have noticed that.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
My shop "recommended" that I get a set of Ford gears to, in their words: "help eliminats any gear whining or tolerance issues that may occur"- I myself would go out of my freakin mind if I hear any squeaks, noises, whining of anykind, anywhere, especially with how expensive they are and difficult to get installed.
Let it be known, I do not work on Mustang differentials every day for a living, so I only went with their advice and my gears are absolutely quiet.
You can Google the words- "Mustang Motive gear whining" and read up on it.
Also-stangmods.com sell both kinds, just gears, just rebuild bearing kits, or combo deals-FYI

·
Banned
2,801 Posts
Wouldn't it matter all in who puts the gears in? Rather than it being a certain gear that whines?

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

I'm asking this to make a point. Motive is a pretty good gear pack from what I heard. It's all about how you install them

·
Registered
384 Posts
I used to build gearboxes (not differentials) for a living. I have installed well over 500 sets of ring and pinion gears in Foote-Jones "Max Power" Spiral Bevel gearboxes, and I can tell you this with absolute certainty... different gear manufacturers use basically the same gear grinding equipment but use different tooling and techniques.

Some have a more pronounced spiral cut, while others are cut with more of a straight edge to the teeth. The way the gears are hobbed and ground is going to make a HUGE difference in the way they sound and how long they last. As soon as I opened a package and saw the gears, I could tell how they were going to sound under load.

The depth to the root of the gear teeth on the pinion and the corresponding depth of the teeth on the ring gear is also a consideration where noise is a concern. Some grind deeper than is necessary thus allowing for continual adjustment to correct backlash issues as the gears wear down.

This excessive root depth causes somewhat of a reverberation or cyclic hum. This is a great thing if you want long lasting gears that can be adjusted to compensate for wear, on the other hand though, this is a poor choice for a gear design if you want smooth and quiet.

Also, the amount of carbon in the steel and the degree to which the gears were heat treated will also have a great impact on the sound that is delivered from the gearset as it is rotating under load.

Simply stated: Not all gears are alike, and not all gears CAN BE ADJUSTED to run quietly.

As I stated above, my experience is in huge industrial gear boxes that are used to drive automotive assembly lines, coal mines, etc... not automotive differentials. However, the principles and manufacturing techniques are the same. Industrial and Automotive ring and pinion gears are made to the same standards and with basically the same equipment.

That being said... I would buy Ford gears, simply because I have never heard a stock mustang differential whine. People with 8 second cars don't care what their differential sounds like. People with daily drivers do.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Good Info "Just_John". Thanks for adding that Info, it sounds about right.:headbang:

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I used to build gearboxes (not differentials) for a living. I have installed well over 500 sets of ring and pinion gears in Foote-Jones "Max Power" Spiral Bevel gearboxes, and I can tell you this with absolute certainty... different gear manufacturers use basically the same gear grinding equipment but use different tooling and techniques.

Some have a more pronounced spiral cut, while others are cut with more of a straight edge to the teeth. The way the gears are hobbed and ground is going to make a HUGE difference in the way they sound and how long they last. As soon as I opened a package and saw the gears, I could tell how they were going to sound under load.

The depth to the root of the gear teeth on the pinion and the corresponding depth of the teeth on the ring gear is also a consideration where noise is a concern. Some grind deeper than is necessary thus allowing for continual adjustment to correct backlash issues as the gears wear down.

This excessive root depth causes somewhat of a reverberation or cyclic hum. This is a great thing if you want long lasting gears that can be adjusted to compensate for wear, on the other hand though, this is a poor choice for a gear design if you want smooth and quiet.

Also, the amount of carbon in the steel and the degree to which the gears were heat treated will also have a great impact on the sound that is delivered from the gearset as it is rotating under load.

Simply stated: Not all gears are alike, and not all gears CAN BE ADJUSTED to run quietly.

As I stated above, my experience is in huge industrial gear boxes that are used to drive automotive assembly lines, coal mines, etc... not automotive differentials. However, the principles and manufacturing techniques are the same. Industrial and Automotive ring and pinion gears are made to the same standards and with basically the same equipment.

That being said... I would buy Ford gears, simply because I have never heard a stock mustang differential whine. People with 8 second cars don't care what their differential sounds like. People with daily drivers do.

Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, Exactly. What I was wanting to say but don't have the knowledge. Thanks for the info, I will save it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts