Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a dumb question, but how do I look up what gear ratio I have? The dealership had no idea and I'm clueless, lol. I haven't changed them, so I think they would still be stock for a '12 GT. Seems like they are 3.31, right?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you serious? Don't yank my chain because I'm going out there tomorrow and looking! Haha!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, mine is a 6-speed MT, so I guess I'll just have to go look tomorrow. What should I be looking for, btw?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Are you serious? Don't yank my chain because I'm going out there tomorrow and looking! Haha!
Yes he is serious...Go look now...A flashlight is all you need.You can't miss the sticker.You said 2012 gt right?It will be on there.You manual or auto?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Manual. Car is out in the parking lot (living on base). I'll look tomorrow, lol. In the mean time, would it be worth the money to change them out for 3.73? It's a daily driver, so mpg is somewhat a concern, but just as long as it stays above 22mpg on the interstate, I can live with it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
You will lose mpg's.I would say you would get 21-22 still.Some will take off on this debate.The dreaded Mpg topic.Everybody claims different.As for is it worth it to change them out?? You don't know yet if you got them but I doubt you do or you would feel it in the seat.To answer question....All of it depends what you want out of the car.If you are into performance and like to play and race some then hell yeah change it.Let all mods begin!Personally I could care a less about MPG's.It's like when somebody sees your car and its modded to hell and they say that sounds good....is it fast?hows the mpg?I'm like who gives a ****.Wanna race it?No, I do not have deep pockets and I drive it about every day.I am 43 and still a HP junkie!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha! Well said. I suppose I'll have to look into it tomorrow. It feels fast to me, but this is my first real V8.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Interested....Keep us posted man!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah should be rite on the right side of the differential, I have 3.73's and I love them and on highway with intake tune and exhaust I have seen 27 MPG on the highway but with my foot I unfortunately get 16 average Lmfao but I bought a V8 so I gotta live with it ha ha

·
Registered
903 Posts
Thats right!! Hell you can press reset and be going slightly down hill and get 30 mpg .LOL! But reality is 21-23 on HWY and when playing in town or back roads I see 13-14!Thats playing! With most avg. like 20115oh said 16 is about right. Not being funny but if I was really worried on mpg I would have got a fiesta.LOL!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found out there was a gear code on the door. With the VIN and information. The only one I can remember is BB is the code for 3.73's. I don't remember the other but I'm sure u can Google it

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

OK DD is 3.55's and GG is 3.31's. It will say the code on the white sticker when u open the driver's door

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
If you have the lower gears and not the 3.73's. Go to a 3.90 gear. It really is the perfect gear for the manual cars. Keeps you in 4th gear in the 1/4 mile. 4.10's will put you shifting to 5th at a low rpm right at the end of the track. If you was and auto 4.10 at least with 4.30's being the best. I will actually be switching my 4.10's out later for a 3.55 since I have the supercharger going on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rbsmitty514 said:
I found out there was a gear code on the door. With the VIN and information. The only one I can remember is BB is the code for 3.73's. I don't remember the other but I'm sure u can Google it

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

OK DD is 3.55's and GG is 3.31's. It will say the code on the white sticker when u open the driver's door
Well, it appears that I have 3.31's. Any suggestions on where the best place is to get 3.90's? I might make that my next mod when I get to Cali.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Well, it appears that I have 3.31's. Any suggestions on where the best place is to get 3.90's? I might make that my next mod when I get to Cali.
Shop around with all the vendors.Also don't buy just any 3.90 gear.Quality is gonna be your happiness.Some whine more than others.Cheap ones with big power and 5000+ launches will broke with some eventually.Jmho

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
back n a stang said:
Shop around with all the vendors.Also don't buy just any 3.90 gear.Quality is gonna be your happiness.Some whine more than others.Cheap ones with big power and 5000+ launches will broke with some eventually.Jmho
Thanks! Any brands that I should be looking for? I've never actually shopped for gears, so this is all new to me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I looked around a little bit and it looks like Ford Racing does nit make them, but Motive and Richmond do. Reviews vary, but it seems that Motive gears are generally okay with a good installer. I am considering just going with 3.73 by FRPP instead of the 3.90's by Motive. Will upgrading from 3.31 to 3.73 be worth my while?

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
GT_Man said:
Well, I looked around a little bit and it looks like Ford Racing does nit make them, but Motive and Richmond do. Reviews vary, but it seems that Motive gears are generally okay with a good installer. I am considering just going with 3.73 by FRPP instead of the 3.90's by Motive. Will upgrading from 3.31 to 3.73 be worth my while?
Yes you'll notice a Difference with 3.73, if you really want 3.90 Richmond will be fine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts