Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Automatic=4.10 Gears
Manual=3.73 Gears
Generally that's how the cars are set up. You pick up a set of gears, a bearing rebuild kit, and a bottle of Fords friction additive.
There are a few manufacturers to choose from, if you want a set of Ford gears stangmods.com are the only place I know of who still have them for the 7.5" differential.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Good, solid info above. :good:

It is highly recommended that you have the gears installed professionaly. Unless you are experienced in gear changes and are familiar with shimming and reading micrometers and calipers, I'd have a reliable shop perform the work. Just be sure to get a written contract from the shop stating that any grinding or overly loud whine is due to improper install or faulty parts.

Expect to pay 300-500 for install. It would also be worth your while to pick up a traction lok (limited slip differential). It can be installed at the same time as the gears and will open up power to both wheels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sonicpony03 said:
Good, solid info above. :good:

It is highly recommended that you have the gears installed professionaly. Unless you are experienced in gear changes and are familiar with shimming and reading micrometers and calipers, I'd have a reliable shop perform the work. Just be sure to get a written contract from the shop stating that any grinding or overly loud whine is due to improper install or faulty parts.

Expect to pay 300-500 for install. It would also be worth your while to pick up a traction lok (limited slip differential). It can be installed at the same time as the gears and will open up power to both wheels.
Yea I have before I jus dnt kno wat I should go with.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Generally the rule is 4.10's for autos and 3.73's for manuals as said above.

3.90's are a happy medium between the two but are hard to find these days for the 7.5" rear. My guess would be that you might find them for an older fox body 7.5", but most guys upgrade their foxes to 8.8"s.

4.10's can be too steep for manuals, and somtimes 3.73's aren't enough bang for the buck for autos, but people have done them in both transmissions and been happy.

For an auto, 4.10's will get you moving, but you can expect to lose .5-1.5 mpgs on the highway, but you might actually gain some mileage in the city.

If you're an auto, I say go for the 4.10's, you don't REALLY buy a mustang for mpgs :D

For manuals, I'd say 3.73's...3.55's would be more tame, and 3.90's would be more wild, but are harder to find for the 7.5".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sonicpony03 said:
Generally the rule is 4.10's for autos and 3.73's for manuals as said above.

3.90's are a happy medium between the two but are hard to find these days for the 7.5" rear. My guess would be that you might find them for an older fox body 7.5", but most guys upgrade their foxes to 8.8"s.

4.10's can be too steep for manuals, and somtimes 3.73's aren't enough bang for the buck for autos, but people have done them in both transmissions and been happy.

For an auto, 4.10's will get you moving, but you can expect to lose .5-1.5 mpgs on the highway, but you might actually gain some mileage in the city.

If you're an auto, I say go for the 4.10's, you don't REALLY buy a mustang for mpgs :D

For manuals, I'd say 3.73's...3.55's would be more tame, and 3.90's would be more wild, but are harder to find for the 7.5".
Thanx I have a manual stang so I'm definitely gonna look into the 3.90 gears. By any chance u kno the factory diff gears??

·
Registered
472 Posts
V6_Stang said:
Hell yea especially for the v8's
Lol these guys are saying that apparently 3.73 don't make a difference Lol. 4.10s will affect my mpg & I don't want it to. Question tho. What do gears do for u anyway? Does it get u to a speed faster or what

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LMNO said:
Lol these guys are saying that apparently 3.73 don't make a difference Lol. 4.10s will affect my mpg & I don't want it to. Question tho. What do gears do for u anyway? Does it get u to a speed faster or what
Lol I get wat ur sayin. Gears (depending on which one u get) pretty much affect how quick u accelerate and top end. Example 3.73 gears give u great topend and 4.10 give u better and quicker acceleration. And of course u can experiment with anything in between to ur liking.

·
Registered
472 Posts
V6_Stang said:
Lol I get wat ur sayin. Gears (depending on which one u get) pretty much affect how quick u accelerate and top end. Example 3.73 gears give u great topend and 4.10 give u better and quicker acceleration. And of course u can experiment with anything in between to ur liking.
Top end as in more power in the higher rpms lol

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thats probably the last thing in going to get. Currently I want to get the kooks longtube headers &off road x pipe to go with my roush off road catback exhaust. Just waiting to get some money Lol

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

U don't gain HP off of gears right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LMNO said:
Thats probably the last thing in going to get. Currently I want to get the kooks longtube headers &off road x pipe to go with my roush off road catback exhaust. Just waiting to get some money Lol

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

U don't gain HP off of gears right?
Lol I kno money is always n issue. No hp gain from gears.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanx I have a manual stang so I'm definitely gonna look into the 3.90 gears. By any chance u kno the factory diff gears??
should be 3.27 you can always run your axle code on the door sticker and/or check the tag on the diff cover (if its still there...)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts