Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well..I wasn't real sure where to post this exactly, cuz it covers so many fields. But I need to do some maintenance to my car and need some help on how to do it all.
First off I need new spark plugs, I can do this part, so no problem.
Next, I need to change the fluid in my auto trans..any help with tips on how to do this would be helpful.
I probably need to flush out my rear end as well.
And I also need to flush out coolant.
These are the things I see that need to be done...car has 53xxx miles on it..any more maintenance things I need to do please post and tell me lol.
Thanks
Brad

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeh...and I need to turn my rotors while I'm at it...

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And I finally broke down and bought the Gt foglights for my car...got sick of the cheap autozone specials that kept fogging up. I'm beginning to learn if it's cheap to begin with...it normally ends up more expensive in the end lol. That's why I only put in Mobil1 synthetic oil and the silver Fram oil filter and have a K&N air filter.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
K&N are good filters you just have to every few months take the CAI loose and check for oil residue on the MAF. It is a small inconvenience for a quality filter.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
lowflyn said:
Well..I wasn't real sure where to post this exactly, cuz it covers so many fields. But I need to do some maintenance to my car and need some help on how to do it all.
First off I need new spark plugs, I can do this part, so no problem.
Next, I need to change the fluid in my auto trans..any help with tips on how to do this would be helpful.
I probably need to flush out my rear end as well.
And I also need to flush out coolant.
These are the things I see that need to be done...car has 53xxx miles on it..any more maintenance things I need to do please post and tell me lol.
Thanks
Brad
All those are fairly easy to do, but can get very messy. For the rear-end, you have to remove the back cover and drain it that way. After it's drained, remove the cover and clean the mating surfaces. Reseal the surfaces and put the cover back on. Now on the other side at the upper right(driver's side) of the pumpkin, is a little hole where you can fill up your rear-end. Make sure you use some friction modifier. The coolant is very easy. At the lower left (passenger's side) of the radiator is a valve called the petcock valve. Open it up and all your coolant will come out of the engine. Not all 100% will come out because of twist and bends in some of the coolant lines, but 99% of it will , so the little left over is minimal. After it stops draining. Close the valve and refill through the top of the radiator. I'm not sure about the tranny because I have a 5-speed, but when I had a Cheby, i had to drop my tranny's pan at an angle to let all the fluid drain into a bucket and then I could change the gasket and the tranny filter. I'm not so sure this is the same way. I'm sure some else could help.

·
Registered
214 Posts
How hard is it to change the filter in a auto tranny?

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
i never worked on an auto mustang but, the are all the same, im not sure if it has a drain plug so just take of the bolts from the front of the trans and let it drain at an angle then take off the rest of the bolts and the trans pan should fall right out. next clean the pan with a rag. then take off the filter, it might have bolts or it might be held on by and o ring so if it doesent have bolts on the filter just pop it out by pulling on it, replace teh filter, then the gasket u can use rtv if you like but i suggest cork gaskets. then install the pan good and tight. put in your favorite fluid (synthetic). and your done

·
Registered
214 Posts
232stang said:
i never worked on an auto mustang but, the are all the same, im not sure if it has a drain plug so just take of the bolts from the front of the trans and let it drain at an angle then take off the rest of the bolts and the trans pan should fall right out. next clean the pan with a rag. then take off the filter, it might have bolts or it might be held on by and o ring so if it doesent have bolts on the filter just pop it out by pulling on it, replace teh filter, then the gasket u can use rtv if you like but i suggest cork gaskets. then install the pan good and tight. put in your favorite fluid (synthetic). and your done
I was hoping it was like this, thanks

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
The biggest suck about it is sliding under the car to do it. If you know someone with a lift it sure is easier to do BY GOD!!!!

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
oil change every 3k

clean air filter every 10k (k&N) or replace oem pos every 3k

change tranny fluid EVERY year with filter

change rear end fluid every 3 years

change power steering fluid every 3 years

change brake fluid every 3 years

rotate tire every 3k if they are huge and expensive lol else as you see fit i would say at least 9k

align your car as needed but get her checked every 12k~ or so at least if you are around alot of horrid roads maybe every 9k ( i go every 6k)

fuel filter every 10k

fuel injection cleaner every oil change

clean your maf after every K&N air filter re oiling (week after then again after a month cuz that crap gets on the wires and = loss in milage and rough idle, use on contact NO residue electronic parts cleaner)

check hoses every year

check belt every 6 months to a year

change your coolant EVERY year before winter! you would be amazed how much crap you get out of the system being partly aluminum!

keep your air pressure set correctly for your tires it = longer tire life and better gas milage.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Dont forget to change your Power Steering fluid every 60,000 miles or ever 3-4 years. I change mine every 2 years but I live in a somewhat humid enviroment. if you live in a dry climate you might wait 4 years. Every years P/S fluid absorbs water fromthe atmosphere brake does it faster and should be changed every 3 years at the very least. In just a few years 20% of your brake fluid can be water. The more milky it is the more water. Power Steering fluid might get 10% water after a few years which contributes to PS whine and failure and in brakes a spongy feel or corrosion inside the brake calipers which locks them up and destroys the boot and seal.

So be sure to change all the fluids !!!!

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Damnit..I have alot to do to my car...and as far as the little stuff, like rotating tires and oil and such...i always do that on a schedule I have setup for that. Need to get a schedule set up for the rest of it..O and BTW..is it easier to come in from the top or bottom on spark plugs. My car is sitting outside cooling off at the moment and I'm just making sure I can get to all the plugs from the top...

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
yea I need to change my ps fluid... its 3 years nearly or a tad over.... just a pita, how to you recommend changing it for the most ease, and also how do you go about filling it back up correctly and getting it back in running shape?

the number one killer of autos is not changing the tranny fluid and heat... so get a trans cooler, every 20 degrees will nearly double your trans life.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't give a F about the auto trans as long as it lasts for another 100k and the engine as well..then they're both going in the scrap pile lol

1 - 20 of 70 Posts