Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my Stang is a 2014 (manufactered May 2013) and she's finally nearing 30k miles lol obviously I don't drive her much, especially since I have a work truck. So, i'm at like 28k right now. Being that the car is going to be 6 years old too, what should I really look at in terms of maintenace for 30k? I change the oil once a year, which is only at like 2500 miles. I've had the rear seal go bad and Ford changed it out, so since they drained it they put new in. What else am I really looking at for around 30k and this age of the car? Keep in mind I'm not that great at working on cars...sure I can change my own oil and I've done exhaust on it, but I'm still nervous about breaking stuff lol.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Do you still have your owner’s manual? All of them have a maintenance schedule in the back that shows what things Ford suggests doing at various mileage intervals.
Read the list, and you can choose what you think needs to be done, or you can surrender to your Ford dealer and just tell them to do the 30,000 mile service when your car gets there.
Sometimes just “doing” the 30K service package at the dealer is going to be cheaper than picking and choosing off the list, and paying the resulting full labor charges.
Here is a pretty good article that offers opinions/answers to your question:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/2011-2014-ford-mustang-maintenance-guide.html

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Lol my 2000 GT is at 37k.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You've surely changed the engine air filter, but what about the cabin air filter. It's very easy to change and you can get an activated carbon filter that will filter out pollen from Rock Auto. (www.rockauto.com)

·
Registered
708 Posts
I wish our 14 only had 30k on it. We have over 86k now. You drive em, you wear em out. Sure has been a great car.
Like has been said above. I'm a strong believer in preventive maintenance. I change our cabin air filter every year at the beginning of spring. I change oil every 5k. Have you had the differential vent updated? Have you had the radiator tank coolant check valve hose updated per the tech bulletins? Other than that you need to drive it so it doesn't dry up and crack. Oh yah- flush the brake fluid and the same with the coolant, it's getting old.

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

I wish our 14 only had 30k on it. We have over 86k now. You drive em, you wear em out. Sure has been a great car.
Like has been said above. I'm a strong believer in preventive maintenance. I change our cabin air filter every year at the beginning of spring. I change oil every 5k. Have you had the differential vent updated? Have you had the radiator tank coolant check valve hose updated per the tech bulletins? Other than that you need to drive it so it doesn't dry up and crack. Oh yah- flush the brake fluid and the same with the coolant, it's getting old.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Hey I'm all about ppl keeping their cars low mileage. Will let me grab a garage queen 11/12 A6 for cheaps when I get back from overseas... if I come back lol. I kinda like Europe...

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Yeah, I'm hoping for a lightly loved 18/19 Bullitt in the next year or two.
It will be very interesting to see what the used car prices are on those in a couple of years. I am betting that the green ones hold up much better than the black ones.......I wonder what the take rate is on the black ones compared to the green ones, and if the person who buys a black one even knows who Steve McQueen is.....lol.....

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
first thing, for the smartasses crying "read your manual," i posted this here for advice from fellow owners due to the AGE of the car, NOT the mileage. it's going to be 6 years old with not even 30k, so i wanted all of your opinions on anything else BESIDES the typical 30k stuff that can go bad with AGE.

thanks to all the non-smartasses who actually replied with something helpful :) guard, thanks for the link, good stuff. and kip, yep i've changed the cabin air filter maybe a year or two ago now

·
Registered
708 Posts
first thing, for the smartasses crying "read your manual," i posted this here for advice from fellow owners due to the AGE of the car, NOT the mileage. it's going to be 6 years old with not even 30k, so i wanted all of your opinions on anything else BESIDES the typical 30k stuff that can go bad with AGE.

thanks to all the non-smartasses who actually replied with something helpful :) guard, thanks for the link, good stuff. and kip, yep i've changed the cabin air filter maybe a year or two ago now
Sounds like somebody needs their wooby and a nap.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The owners manual has all the pertinent information in it including age. JUST READ IT.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
If it's an auto I would strongly suggest dropping the tranny pan, clean it out good, and replace 6 qts of quality fluid. I did that on mine at 25k and there was break-in fibers on the magnet. The number one thing people neglect is the tranny. I'm at 55k and will be doing that again this summer while adding a new filter.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
If it's an auto I would strongly suggest dropping the tranny pan, clean it out good, and replace 6 qts of quality fluid. I did that on mine at 25k and there was break-in fibers on the magnet. The number one thing people neglect is the tranny. I'm at 55k and will be doing that again this summer while adding a new filter.
+1 on this. I needed to have mine partially rebuilt at 51k, though that was likely due to a workmanship issue or dealer service dept abuse (I dumped that dealer). My 2013 is at 87k now, and I'm thinking of doing just what Hawkstang suggests when the tranny shop sends one of their coupons.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can do PH check on your coolant, change rear end gear oil and trans fluid.

My 2014 is at 46xxx miles and I recently did the manual trans oil and rear end oil. My coolant is doing good (used PH test strips and I am doing good enough) but summer of 2020 I will do a flush and change the upper and lower hose with the thermostat. At around 36k, my water pump went out and FORD fixed it and added fresh coolant to the system, so ya.

I took mine to the dealership and had them do a 30k inspection.

Also check out this link from American Muscle.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
You can do PH check on your coolant, change rear end gear oil and trans fluid.

My 2014 is at 46xxx miles and I recently did the manual trans oil and rear end oil. My coolant is doing good (used PH test strips and I am doing good enough) but summer of 2020 I will do a flush and change the upper and lower hose with the thermostat. At around 36k, my water pump went out and FORD fixed it and added fresh coolant to the system, so ya.

I took mine to the dealership and had them do a 30k inspection.

Also check out this link from American Muscle.
PH test on oil and coolant? For real? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Also American Muscle is a bunch of asshats... They might have a decent maintenance guide they got from somewhere but the maintenance guide is already in the owner's manual...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
PH test on oil and coolant? For real? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Also American Muscle is a bunch of asshats... They might have a decent maintenance guide they got from somewhere but the maintenance guide is already in the owner's manual...
They copied it from the Owner's Manual Scotty :whistling:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts