Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been pushing the limits of my car on some backroads, and the car has some pretty nasty understeer, the car enjoys going straight through turns

i read a short article on suspension tuning, and they say running a harder spring in the rear should reduce understeer, and a decent performance alignment would help out

i have some GT springs to put in the rear along with V6 stang springs up front, so it should lower the car, and i found some decent alignment specs for the car, should this help balance the car out, or will it not really help much?

·
Registered
529 Posts
You just have to be careful that your car never oversteers (drifting not being considered here) Oversteer is a very unstable condition and therefor very dangerous. This is the primary reason that most cars out there have a high understeer gradient. Neutral steer is ideal of course, but tuning it to that point is expensive and if people tinkered with it they may drive it into oversteer and the car companies don't like that idea.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
well i didnt mean to promote oversteer i just ment to try to get it back to a more neutral state.

·
Banned
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
because its not so fun when youre about to get in an accident, you swerve and your ass end slides out...then youre really screwed

while oversteer can be fun, its not what im looking for, i want to be able to set this thing up to be able to handle on the track, and on the backroads, and when youre having to be gentle on the gas because your ass end slides around, it costs you time

·
Registered
414 Posts
If the swaybars you have are the same as a GT then you could get an adjustable swaybar from steeda. That way you could crank the adjustable bar up until the car was more neutral.
and yes a heavier rear sway will increase the tendency to oversteer, thus decreasing the tendency for understeer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts