Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first thing I was wondering about:

If someone could explain what exactly a "tune" and "ghost cam" is for my car. When I've looked up ghost cam on YouTube it sounds pretty bad ***. Could someone give me some information of if I could even get it for my 2014 v6 with everything stock besides the axle backs so far. Also where or how much it would cost, I live in Wisconsin.

The next question I have is a exhaust related question:

I currently have Pypes Pype Bomb Axle backs and they sound amazing, but I still want a stronger note. I'm no mechanic so I don't know really the difference between long and short tube headers or which i'm eligible for, maybe both? Anyways I was considering purchasing one of the following BBK OFF-ROAD X-PIPE, BBK CHROME TUNED LENGTH SHORTY HEADERS, or FORD RACING CUT AND CLAMP X-PIPE. I have no idea which would sound better with my current axle backs and not sound like trash, so looking for some insight from people more knowledgeable.

(P.S. if you have a better tip on what I should do to my exhaust next within the same price range please let me know.)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
You'll have to have a SCT hand held tuner, then buy a ghost cam tune from MPT. You can be 100% stock and have a ghost cam tune :) This is my Mustang with long tube headers and a catted x pipe with magnaflow street axlebacks. https://youtu.be/RbJXEhMfJRY

·
Registered
737 Posts
You'll want to have an off-road mid pipe for a cam tune, otherwise you'll ruin the cats.

X pipe sounds ricey, H pipe has a deeper tone which you said you were looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Actually MPT has a new ghost cam tune that's apparently safe for cats, however I wouldn't recommend it for your daily driving tune. I'm planning to get it myself but I would only use it at shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
737 Posts
An off road mid pipe is cheap and you don't have to worry about "safe for cats" tunes, all while being able to daily it without an issue.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am interested in this as well. Been wanting to do the ghost cam tune for awhile, but at the moment other things (like new wheels) are more important to buy than a lope sound for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Actually MPT has a new ghost cam tune that's apparently safe for cats, however I wouldn't recommend it for your daily driving tune. I'm planning to get it myself but I would only use it at shows.

^^ I kind of thought I heard this somewhere... has anybody actually daily driven with stock/aftermarket cats??

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've had the ghost cam lope for mine since late March for my daily driver. I drive a lot and it's mostly through lake Mary which is just outside Orlando. The traffic is horrible with the constant stop, wait 15 mins then go. I would say it's somewhere between 8-10,000 miles nice putting it on and problems for any stock parts yet

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have the latest MPT ghost cam tune on a economy tune which is my daily driver . I also have it on a 93 octane performance tune. BBK shorties , stock cats & Flowmaster axle backs. No issues. ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1469138661.936930.jpg

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
^^ are you running the ghost cam tune daily?

No. I run it for a week at a time. Sometimes a couple times a year. Its not only a ghost cam tune at idle, but it pulls just as hard as my normal 93 octane MPT tune when getting on it :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it true that an Off road mid pipe can get you a fine up to $25,000? Wtf. I thought it was just the name of it. Not looking to pay fines like that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also can I get a catback exhaust if I have axle backs? Or would the catback replace my axlebacks and pretty much a waste of money? Not a pro with exhausts so kind of confused, all I see is the axlebacks and some piping. Or what is the piping called, can I just purchase the rest of the system with my axle backs?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Really you don't need the "extra piping" between your off-road or catted mid pipe and your mufflers. The factory "over-the-axle" pipe flows plenty for the displacement of our 3.7 motors. Pretty much your productive performance upgrade will be your choice in header, H or X mid pipe, and choice of muffler.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Also can I get a catback exhaust if I have axle backs? Or would the catback replace my axlebacks and pretty much a waste of money?
A Catback consists of mufflers and "extra piping". An axleback consist of mufflers. The only difference is the "extra piping".

Not a pro with exhausts so kind of confused, all I see is the axlebacks and some piping.
Take a look at my pictures below (you may have to rotate the pictures). The two pipes together are the "extra piping" you get from catback exhaust.

Or what is the piping called, can I just purchase the rest of the system with my axle backs?
Dynomax call those extra piping intermediate pipes or some people call them over axle pipes. The only way you can turn your axlebacks into a catback exhaust without replacing everything:

1. Get a custom mandrel bend of over axle pipes (not sure of pricing)
  2. Look up part number 55567 & 55568 for dynomax. Both of these pipes are 2.5 inch and bigger then stock. The price of both pipes should be around $45-50 each. Do note places like CarID, summit racing, jegs.etc will say they have those pipes in stock it is a lie lol. One of them I believe part #55568 is in backorder(avg 3weeks-1month) the other one you can buy fairly easily.

As a general FYI do note those pipes neck down to 2inch close to the xpipe/off road pipes. Everything else should be good to go.
As a side note if your installing those overaxle pipes yourself do note it is a PITA. If someway you can buy ones that are two-piece do it that way lol. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So do you think my local exhaust shop could come up with something for me that's custom to my axle backs and setup a full catback? And having the rest of the piping with the axle backs & catbacks will improve my car sound or hp wise?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Ghost Cam & Exhaust

As long as you don't go true duals, you'll get more HP with no cats.

They should be able to fabricate no problem, my local shop fabricates down pipes, up pipes, and a load of other custom parts for turbo cars.

H pipe will give you the best sound as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts