Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys sry if i am asking a stupid question but i am new to the 5.0 and i was wondering what this ghost tune is? What it requires?if its bad car the car and where i can get it? Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
...plenty of threads on it if you'd searched.

It simulates loping cams on the car. Bama and Lund write them for sure but not sure who else.

Generally requires a manual tranny and o/r pipe.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
nosympathy has it right on. There's no damaging effects of the Ghost Cam tune, just poor gas mileage. Also, you're required to have an O/R mid-pipe and manual transmission if interested in our Bama Performance version.

Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions!

Shane

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
Shane is all over it tonight! Love AM! They are te best!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
My ass? Was joking relax there buddy lol I personally love the sound but wish it could be real. Love the old school thump so calm your jets

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

...I averaged 15 on it driving city streets the few days I ran it...

9mpg my ass.
Hey are those the stock rims just plasti dipped? Doing that next they look good

·
Registered
672 Posts
I had never heard of the ghost tune, so that is kind of awesome. I have a ton of catching up to do with the new stuff; I had been Fox body only for so long that I haven't realized how kind of awesome the new technology is haha.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
My ass? Was joking relax there buddy lol I personally love the sound but wish it could be real. Love the old school thump so calm your jets

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Hey are those the stock rims just plasti dipped? Doing that next they look good
you can get it for real, they make loping cams for the 5.0 just isn't going to be a few hundred to get. I promise they will run far better than the tune does. The tune runs kinda funny if your in a low enough RPM range it tries to start the lope while in gear and driving and it makes the car bounce and shudder.

Else wise it sounds badass. I've also come closer to stalling the car with that tune than I care to mentioned. If you start to let the clutch out right at the wrong point in the lope it will cause the engine to stall haha.

yes stock 11 wheels plasti dipped. I plan on buying new rims and wheels at some point and time but them being black and not silver makes it hurt less haha. That silver with my bright red and black theme was ugly.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Ya I'm waiting til it gets warmer to do mine but they look sick plasti dipped . And do they really making loping cams that's awesome prob 2k at least installed lol is there performance gains from that and same negative effect on mpg ?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Ya I'm waiting til it gets warmer to do mine but they look sick plasti dipped . And do they really making loping cams that's awesome prob 2k at least installed lol is there performance gains from that and same negative effect on mpg ?
performance gains I am not sure. I have not researched them that far. Mainly because if I do that I without a doubt void any chance of a warranty on my car. My dealer is pretty cool but they said no to changing the cams. I don't blame them honestly.

it shouldn't affect mpg as the cams are just causing the cylinders to fire in a different pattern and cause the lope. Unlike the tune that is dumping unburnt gas and messing with the timing tables to cause the pretend lope. That is why Bama doesn't offer it for cars with cats as it dumps a lot of unburnt fuel down the exhaust and could damage stock cats.

I say could as it may not, but there is a chance. I think a few of the other places will write the tunes if you have cats.

now that I look for them can't find any cams that cause loping for the 5.0 but I know it has been done and they exist. Shop down the street from me did cams on a 5.0 that caused lope. I forget what brand they use, will have too find out again.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
it shouldn't affect mpg as the cams are just causing the cylinders to fire in a different pattern and cause the lope. Unlike the tune that is dumping unburnt gas and messing with the timing tables to cause the pretend lope. That is why Bama doesn't offer it for cars with cats as it dumps a lot of unburnt fuel down the exhaust and could damage stock cats.

I say could as it may not, but there is a chance. I think a few of the other places will write the tunes if you have cats.
Il look into it as well power of google when I'm home later
Any kind of aftermarket camshaft that causes an engine to naturally lope at idle, will impair gas mileage to an extent. The reason for "lope" is the intake and exhaust valves temporarily being opened at the same time. This isn't efficient at low RPM's and results in a lower dynamic compression. However, if the same pattern continues at higher RPM's, the extra valve overlap becomes efficient for making power, since intake velocity is increased at high RPM's.

Our Bama Cam tune simply takes advantage of the 4v 5.0's variable valve timing. We're able to increase the valve over lap at idle, by choice, even though it's less efficient. With the extra valve overlap and lowered dynamic compression, torque is drastically decreased. So, by making only the low RPM's or idle very rich, we're able to increase torque and make the vehicles drivable, without a rich WOT. Thus, we require a catless mid-pipe for our Bama Cam tunes. Which, is the similar technique that is used for aftermarket camshafts with a naturally lopey/rough idle.

This should save you some time google searching! Let me know if you have other questions!

Shane

·
Registered
275 Posts
you can get it for real, they make loping cams for the 5.0 just isn't going to be a few hundred to get. I promise they will run far better than the tune does. The tune runs kinda funny if your in a low enough RPM range it tries to start the lope while in gear and driving and it makes the car bounce and shudder.

I have had a Jon Lund 93 octane Ghost Cam tune on my '11 GT for about a year now. While the gas mileage impact can definitely be felt, my car is not a dd, and if I want gas mileage on a particular day, the Stang is likely not what I will be driving.
That said, I have not experienced any of the bounce and shudder described above. It has been amazing how docile and tractable this tune is at low rpms.

PS- I still get close to 20mpg at hwy speeds w/the Ghost Cam Tune. Obviously less around town or with my foot in it (duh).

·
Registered
275 Posts
you need an off road X-pipe, not over axle pipe. X pipe does not touch your axle back flowmasters.

·
Registered
275 Posts
yep- got long tubes on my car

1 - 20 of 38 Posts