Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So help me out. I have big plans for the stang this summer. I just need to hear what kind of money ill be needing here. I want to finally supercharge her. A vortech. And I want cams. How much would it cost me to get a vortech and cams installed and tuned do you think? I need a number to work toward.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
How hard is a vortech install. I don't think I could install cams myself.
bluegrassfever6,

The Vortech installation is definitely rated at an expert level, but it's a good first big project IMO. That is assuming you've tackled a few projects in the past. The V3 Vortech is especially better to start with because it's self lubricated (no need to tap oil pan) and the 2v GT's don't come with an intercooler that you have to install. So, you're basically adding a major bolt-on mod haha. Also, I would have a shop do the fuel pump if you're not comfortable about dropping the gas tank.

Good luck!

Shane

·
Registered
991 Posts
To expand on Shane's great advice, Vortech includes a voucher to send your ECU in for a base tune to be installed. This removes another issue with installing any FI setup at home: where to tune and how to get there. A dyno tune will still net you the most power, but having a tune that will get you around until then is a serious bonus.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if I just bought a vortech kit and had that installed and tuned forgetting about cams. What am I looking at for price there.

·
Registered
991 Posts
bluegrassfever6 said:
So if I just bought a vortech kit and had that installed and tuned forgetting about cams. What am I looking at for price there.
Only your shop can tell you labor cost since there is no book time on something like that.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Bluegrassfever huh??? From Kentucky? If so what part? I would contact Codynelson about the vortech install and pricing, he's from WV and might even still be selling his cheap.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Vortech installs are very easy. Hardest part is oil pan tapping. If you use a v3 you dont even need to worry about that. The bracket is seriously fice bolts to the front of the timing cover. If you get the basic kit you do t need to run piping or anything.

If you want a front mount intercooler setup then the install is slightly more time consuming because all of the piping. Cxracing make a basicaly bolt in piping and intercooler kit for vortech kits though.

Just make sure the keep it under the 450rwhp mark. If you dont, you will put multiple holes in your block. Fun experience.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So this is what I've come up with. I'm just gonna do cams this year. Save up money for the charger for next year. How much would it be for the cams, the install, and the tune?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Over 1k, possibly 2k.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts