Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the drag strip opens Friday the 26th, I'm going to try to be out there the night it opens up and go down the strip a few times.

Questions I have are, any el cheapo or, better yet, free things I can do to maybe open up a few ponies, or make it a little better off the line or down the track.

And, I'm not too familiar with drag racing, I've never been to or raced at a sanctioned track. Done a little drift, and some slalom. Any tips or tricks for launch, shift points, things like that? My mom dragged quite a bit in the late 80s, but she's never raced a manual car and in her words, she doesn't know how to get the best out of a 5 speed at the track and its been so long she's forgotten most of what she knew lol

My car is a 95 v6 5 speed, CAI, flowmaster true dual with x pipe and stock cats, still has egr and I want to say stock MAF.

Any tips/tricks or suggestions?

·
Registered
359 Posts
There's a at the track section on the site, might get a few mor replies there. Just a suggestion tho!

Can't wait to take my sixxer to the track! Ill defiantly be following your thread of people post some pointers. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
basically just hold rpms about 2k and roll into it...your first track visit will be more about learning the ropes then going for a good et. Ask lots of questions from guys in your class and have fun. i'm gonna say with your current mods you'll pull high 16s to mid 17s. good luck and let us know how you do :good:

·
Registered
779 Posts
basically just hold rpms about 2k and roll into it...your first track visit will be more about learning the ropes then going for a good et. Ask lots of questions from guys in your class and have fun. i'm gonna say with your current mods you'll pull high 16s to mid 17s. good luck and let us know how you do :good:
Like stated above your first time around you just wanna learn and pick up some tips from other racers. And have fun with it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I don't have high expectations, its a stock 6er, I just want to have fun.

I've noticed if I don't dump my clutch out, if I'm holding at around 2-2200 and come off the clutch the engine bogs down for a sec and then picks up?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ill def. Do that.

I'm gonna clean my maf, pcv, and a couple other things tomorrow. If I can get some piping I'm probably going to do away with my cats as well.

Any other maintenence ideas or tips for some "free horspower"?

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
lol nothing really if you're taking care of the car...you can run just a 1/4 tank to lighten your load. you can leave the jack and spare though...some say lose all the weight you can but i'm more about strategic placement of weight..and having a bit of weight right there over the rear to me isn't bad at all...your choice over all maybe run a few times doing both methods

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've done some "weight reduction" lol, gutted trunk (full of tools and floor jack right now so that was pointless), lightweight hood, simple crap like that.

I know on older dsm's there's a tonn of things you can do to open up almost 40 hp, I didn't know if these engines had anything like that.

I don't know how I'm going to get to my maf, there's security torx screws holding it in and I don't have any bits like that

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Have low or no expectations first time out. Expect low 16s or high 15s until you can manage a launch in the 2.2s with fast shifting. You have a peg leg, so launching is that much harder. Race against yourself, never mind the green light nor who is next to you.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have low or no expectations first time out. Expect low 16s or high 15s until you can manage a launch in the 2.2s with fast shifting. You have a peg leg, so launching is that much harder. Race against yourself, never mind the green light nor who is next to you.
Right on.

Kinda confused me there, what do you mean launch in the 2.2s? And I take it the peg leg is the 1 wheel peel? Lol

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Right on.

Kinda confused me there, what do you mean launch in the 2.2s? And I take it the peg leg is the 1 wheel peel? Lol
Yes. Open differential.

2.2 is your launch time.

All good runs, and really the only way to get a good time is to launch good.

A RWD peg leg should be pulling in 2.2s or even 2.1. That is the seconds it takes to cover the first 60 feet of the track. Launching ironically is also the hardest thing to master.

Get out there and run, see what you do, then we can dissect from there :)

Do you know how a drag timing tree works?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes. Open differential.

2.2 is your launch time.

All good runs, and really the only way to get a good time is to launch good.

A RWD peg leg should be pulling in 2.2s or even 2.1. That is the seconds it takes to cover the first 60 feet of the track. Launching ironically is also the hardest thing to master.

Get out there and run, see what you do, then we can dissect from there :)

Do you know how a drag timing tree works?
vaguely, my mom said about starting the launch at the last yellow right before the green?

got my maf cleaned today and scrubbed/sanded as many grounds under the hood as I could get my hands on and it made a HUGE difference, no more shaking at idle, slightly better throttle response, revs quicker.. threw a few rocks backing out of the driveway lol

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

ive seen and heard a lot from am drift guys about welding the spiders in the diff, they say as long as its done right that the only time they have issues is tight parking it squeels the tires. if I can get one for a good deal i'm going to pick up a 94-04 8.8 to swap in, would having the spiders welded in my current 7.5" be a idea worth trying?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
vaguely, my mom said about starting the launch at the last yellow right before the green?

got my maf cleaned today and scrubbed/sanded as many grounds under the hood as I could get my hands on and it made a HUGE difference, no more shaking at idle, slightly better throttle response, revs quicker.. threw a few rocks backing out of the driveway lol

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

ive seen and heard a lot from am drift guys about welding the spiders in the diff, they say as long as its done right that the only time they have issues is tight parking it squeels the tires. if I can get one for a good deal i'm going to pick up a 94-04 8.8 to swap in, would having the spiders welded in my current 7.5" be a idea worth trying?
Well, you drop on the last yellow if that is what you want to do, but when the light turns green, it doesn't clock your time until you move.

So even if it is green, you can sit there for a few seconds and launch your car properly or to your comfort level. The light being green just times how fast you react to it changing to green, the 1/4 mile timer is separate.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, you drop on the last yellow if that is what you want to do, but when the light turns green, it doesn't clock your time until you move.

So even if it is green, you can sit there for a few seconds and launch your car properly or to your comfort level. The light being green just times how fast you react to it changing to green, the 1/4 mile timer is separate.
Ok, that makes sense. So really, the green is reaction time between you and the other driver more or less?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Ok, that makes sense. So really, the green is reaction time between you and the other driver more or less?
Exactly.

For example, if you and the other driver have the same vehicle and for all intents and purposes of the argument, have the same power and driving ability to the exact point, then imagine this scenario.

Light is green and you react in 1.1 seconds and he reacts in 1.0 seconds. You both run a time of 12.5 but he wins by .1

Make sense?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Track opens tonight! I'm watching the weather in the area because its been hit and miss these past couple days.. going to take the hood that's on it off before I head out there (one 75mph trip on the freeway was enough for me to not trust this flimsy SOB) and hope that nothing comes up, as it usually does.. with all luck, ill post some times up later tonight!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts