Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ME Bloodhound
14,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this weekend i'm going to finally be picking up my first Mustang (2001 Bullitt) and the interior is clean as hell, but the paint could use some work. Nothing major with the paint but it could use some pretty good polishing, so i was wondering if you all know a good machine polisher/buffer that won't break the bank for someone still in High School with pretty small paychecks from work.

Keep in mind that the Mustang is going to be parked outside because the garage is for my parents cars (Hyundai Sonata, and Corvette), i just don't want to take it to a shop and pay a ton of money for a complete detail when i know how to do everything myself and have extreme attention to detail.

Thanks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
So this weekend i'm going to finally be picking up my first Mustang (2001 Bullitt) and the interior is clean as hell, but the paint could use some work. Nothing major with the paint but it could use some pretty good polishing, so i was wondering if you all know a good machine polisher/buffer that won't break the bank for someone still in High School with pretty small paychecks from work.

Keep in mind that the Mustang is going to be parked outside because the garage is for my parents cars (Hyundai Sonata, and Corvette), i just don't want to take it to a shop and pay a ton of money for a complete detail when i know how to do everything myself and have extreme attention to detail.

Thanks.
My only word of caution would be that you are practiced using a buffer or rotary machine, if yes than great. If not I would suggest buying a Dual Action or DA machine which is very safe and effective. Several choices for less than 300.00 new...not sure on used ones. check out Autogeek.net or other sites for prices and options. I personally have a Meg's G110v2 and love it. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
My only word of caution would be that you are practiced using a buffer or rotary machine, if yes than great. If not I would suggest buying a Dual Action or DA machine which is very safe and effective. Several choices for less than 300.00 new...not sure on used ones. check out Autogeek.net or other sites for prices and options. I Peter resonantly have a Meg's G110v2 and love it. Hope that helps.
Thats what Ill be buying soon as I suck with a regular rotary.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I used an el cheapo Turtle Wax buffer from WalMart and it worked wonderfully. It costed me all of $25 (not including pads and detailing supplies of course)
It even worked on the wet-toilet-paper-soft gel cost of my carbon fiber hood.
This is 12 year old paint that the previous owner left outside in the sun for 10 years with only a coat of Walmart wax once a year.
It's amazing what determination and (a whole lot of) patience can do even with sh*tty tools.
One of the photos (bluish tinged light on paint) is under a scratch-finder light before and there's an after later on somewhere. Same light, different paint reflections from hazing and swirls.

I threw in some photos of my old black 03 v6, mom's 07, dad's 07, (it's an awful photo, I'm sorry) and my old Corvettes (both with factory paint - 35 and 28 year old paint) for good measure. They were all detailed with the same stuff, same method, same buffer, same me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
the cheaper ones really wont do much to help you, get a real one or pay someone that knows what they are doing to use theirs to buff out the car, if its older be careful if you cut the clear down it may not have enough to cut it etc

·
Registered
704 Posts
the cheaper ones really wont do much to help you, get a real one or pay someone that knows what they are doing to use theirs to buff out the car, if its older be careful if you cut the clear down it may not have enough to cut it etc
Well, yes and no.
If you know what you're doing and have enough free time, a cheap one works great.

If you ask me, buffers are like house paint. You can get a gallon of Behr Super Premium mixed-by-Jesus-himself for $25 or a gallon of whatever the middle-of-the-road paint is in your area (Sherwin Williams, etc.) for $15. Both cover your walls, both take the same amount of coats, and both last for years and years and years.
Just don't get the bargain brand garbage and you're probably fine if you have a decent amount of skill.

I totally agree with getting a 7424 if you have zero experience and are seriously concerned that you'll ruin your paint, but if you're confident and know you have the time and patience to put into it then don't spend 3x as much for a brand name.

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
Well, yes and no.
If you know what you're doing and have enough free time, a cheap one works great.

If you ask me, buffers are like house paint. You can get a gallon of Behr Super Premium mixed-by-Jesus-himself for $25 or a gallon of whatever the middle-of-the-road paint is in your area (Sherwin Williams, etc.) for $15. Both cover your walls, both take the same amount of coats, and both last for years and years and years.
Just don't get the bargain brand garbage and you're probably fine if you have a decent amount of skill.

I totally agree with getting a 7424 if you have zero experience and are seriously concerned that you'll ruin your paint, but if you're confident and know you have the time and patience to put into it then don't spend 3x as much for a brand name.
See I'd rather not take 3x's longer I started with a Wal-Mart special and saved up for the 7424. I'd like to upgrade the 7424XP soon. It's supposed to be easier on the hands

·
Registered
704 Posts
See I'd rather not take 3x's longer I started with a Wal-Mart special and saved up for the 7424. I'd like to upgrade the 7424XP soon. It's supposed to be easier on the hands
Fair enough, I can respect that!
I suppose I should try out a higher end model and see how it compares to my old sh*tbox workhorse.

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
Fair enough, I can respect that!
I suppose I should try out a higher end model and see how it compares to my old sh*tbox workhorse.
Your Turtle Wax one sounds better than the the MVP I bought at Walmart. I searched high and low to find the 7424 for a good price.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm surprised you even found a 7424 for a good price.
I started looking after that last post but can't bring myself to pay for one on a college student salary (a whopping $3000/annually).

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
I'm surprised you even found a 7424 for a good price.
I started looking after that last post but can't bring myself to pay for one on a college student salary (a whopping $3000/annually).
I bought it from tools plus it was right as they were changing to the 7424XP also look on eBay. It took me probably a month and I still had to swallow the price a little

·
Registered
366 Posts
My husband bought me a 7424XP, I think for my birthday last year! He got it at Amazon.com for an awesome priceso I practiced on our 1989 Ford 150 Econoline van. haha I learned "what to and what not to do" on the van so I wouldn't mess up my car. I love it. What I dont like is having to go online to get the pads. that sucks!

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
My husband bought me a 7424XP, I think for my birthday last year! He got it at Amazon.com for an awesome priceso I practiced on our 1989 Ford 150 Econoline van. haha I learned "what to and what not to do" on the van so I wouldn't mess up my car. I love it. What I dont like is having to go online to get the pads. that sucks!
Yeah especially when your in a hurry, or want to do it this weekend

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yeah especially when your in a hurry, or want to do it this weekend
Ohhhh SO True! This past week I decided to detail his Van but noticed the roof is peeling. (one of those Earl scheib paint job $139.99, 10 years old) so, Ive decided to paint it! That is after l prep, sand, tape, primer, maybe sand again then paint.... Using Aerosol paint cans! SO STAY TUNED!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Griots has a nice setup also. They brought out a 3" version also. That one is really nice! A guy in my Mustang Club did a demo at one of our shows on a members car and he used a Griots stuff and this buffer.

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
Ohhhh SO True! This past week I decided to detail his Van but noticed the roof is peeling. (one of those Earl scheib paint job $139.99, 10 years old) so, Ive decided to paint it! That is after l prep, sand, tape, primer, maybe sand again then paint.... Using Aerosol paint cans! SO STAY TUNED!
I thought you had a compressor and a gun

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

Griots has a nice setup also. They brought out a 3" version also. That one is really nice! A guy in my Mustang Club did a demo at one of our shows on a members car and he used a Griots stuff and this buffer.
Yeah it looks nice I bet it's made by PC

1 - 20 of 21 Posts