Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my intake manifold on my 2002 GT with a brand-new Ford OEM intake (already ordered from a Ford dealer, but it's on back-order). Since I'm putting a brand-new manifold on the car, I decided I didn't want to put my dirty, 18-year-old throttle body/plenum back on, so after doing some online research, I decided to buy an Accufab F7046K 70mm throttle body/plenum unit (I know it's pricey, but I didn't read anything bad about it in the various forums, and I like the looks of it - I've attached a picture of it). Since that 70mm throttle body is bigger than the 65mm throttle body I believe is stock on these cars, I'm also going to buy a "cold air" intake (quotation marks are because I know that, with the probable exception of units that actually mount the air cleaner inside the fenderwell, none are truly "cold air"), and I'm hoping for some advice on that.

A. What are generally considered to be the best "cold air" intakes for '99-'04 Mustangs, with a two-valve 4.6 liter? I'm kinda leaning towards this JLT Next Generation Ram Air Intake - anyone know if that's any good, or have experience with it? I realize the filter on that is not in the fenderwell, but it's at least got somewhat of a "heat shield", and I like the way it looks better than the in-fender ones (I'm also attaching a photo of it).

B. I'm considering getting a tune, to take better advantage of my new throttle body/plenum, and the new intake I'm wanting to buy, and to help "wake the car up", so to speak. I've always considered getting a tune, but I've never done it, and I don't really know that much about running a tune. I was looking at the Bama X4/SF4 Power Flash Tuner with 2 Custom Tunes for '99-'04 GT/Bullitt, at American Muscle for $399 - is that thing any good? Is there something better for roughly the same or similar amount of money?

I should probably mention that I also have a Walbro TU229HP-2 high-pressure 255LPH fuel pump, which I never yet installed (I bought it because it normally costs roughly $215, and I saw it listed on Amazon one day for about $65 - brand-new!). It's listed as a direct replacement for the stock fuel pump, and a tune isn't required for it, but if I wanted to upgrade my fuel injectors, I'm sure a tune would help/be needed.

So, any input/info/advice on buying a CAI and a tune/installing/using it, would be greatly appreciated! I realize the throttle body/plenum and CAI won't probably give me any noticeable increase in power, but that's not really why I'm buying them. Just want some new parts that might add a few horsepower, and that improve the engine compartment look.

Thank you! Accufab F7046K 001.jpg JLT Intake 002.jpg

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
You could have cleaned your throttle body and plenum and been fine. Stock airbox too, not restrictive. A good tune you can contact James Gordon at www.tuningbyjames.com and get a solid remote tune. You will need a SCT3 or newer and a wideband which you should have anyway.

Reactions: dmw_4814

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Airaid intake that I got from 4wheelonline 3 years ago. I know CAI's don't provide huge power gain but I like how it looks, though the tubing is plastic.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I realize I could've just cleaned up my stock throttle body/plenum, but I just prefer putting a brand-new one on my new intake manifold (which, by the way, was already at the dealer, when I went to pick up all my other parts. It was originally on back-order).

I'm still not 100% decided on if I'm going to buy a CAI kit or not, as I've always wanted to buy one of those CDC Shaker hood scoop kits. They're pricey, but I love the look of the shaker hood scoop on a Mustang (I've spent WAY too much money to sell my car now & go buy a 2003 or 2004 Mach 1!). The only problem is I don't like the look of that black, plastic applique that you're supposed to install on the hood. But, my ultimate goal is to have the car wrapped in this color-changing vinyl wrap called Volcanic Flare, with the rear spoiler; the roof, and the center section of the hood wrapped in a matte black (or, Carbon Fiber), so if they can wrap over that, and make it appear as just a bulge in the hood, then... We'll see.

Will the air inlet tube of the stock airbox fit onto a 70mm throttle body, without any issues? Sorry I'm clueless about this, but I've never upgraded the throttle bodies on any previous Mustangs I've owned.

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
They can wrap over it. The CDC shaker is ridiculously expensive for what you get but the shaker is cool... honestly you could probably find a Mach hood and the shaker setup for the same price. The applique is stupid looking IMO as the plastic piece but not sure if it wouldn't look good painted or wrapped so its a seamless look. The real issue is the front isn't flush with the front of the hood. If the applique went all the way down to the front like the Mach bulge did it would look way better.

I wouldn't get a CAI if I were you. No gain to be had.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts