Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found it today, any ideas on how much it should run, talked to a guy I know at ford, said an hour of labor plus the seal... so not to bad from the sound of that.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
this is the seal where the driveshaft meets the differential right? if so, replace it yourself its not a hard task.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gonna go early next week or the next and get her fixed....

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im gonna get my friend sam to help this way I can help do it but wont screw up :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
havn't you had rear end problems before? or was that someone else... :confused:

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ive broke all kinds of stuff in my rear end :) this however was just wear and tear probably.... i dont abuse my car or have i been to the track or anything just something thats happend, im listening for any noises for a low fluid sign, nothing yet i think it will be fine till next week but its getting fixed then.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The 8.8 rear used a crush spacer to set pinion bearing preload. The correct way to replace a pinon seal is to replace the crush sleeve too. You have to torque the pinion nut down to several hundred foot pounds and measure preaload, then keep torqing the pinion nut down till you reach the preload spec, too far and you get to do it all over again with a new crush sleeve.

I doubt you got the tools to do it. This might be a case of letting the dealer do it is a good idea.

Or you can replace the crush sleeve with a solid spacer and shims.

http://www.ratechmfg.com/fordspbs.htm

Steve

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the guy thats helping me works at ford, so we will be doing it there with his tools i wouldnt do this in my driveway to much hassel and tqing it down would be a major pita.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
SpectorV said:
the guy thats helping me works at ford, so we will be doing it there with his tools i wouldnt do this in my driveway to much hassel and tqing it down would be a major pita.
if you have a lift., torquing= no problem

·
Registered
349 Posts
If you don't have spaghetti arms then 200+ ft/lbs of torque isn't tough.

This is definately one job where having the right tools is a virtual requirement.

Steve

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i can do 200 ftlbs no problem lol i should have got a pic of brent trying to break a bolt loose when we were installing his s/s lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts