Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 40 of 120 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,321 Posts
This should give ya a real clear example of how much the car was over reacting when it was stock. Timing was way off, knock sensors were going nuts, torque management was kicking in, etc.

I have NO DOUBT that the car is gonna make a pretty significant improvement the next time I strap it down.....especially in the mid-range RPM's. It looks like it's going to make a REALLY solid gain there.

Yeah just all over the place. Don't need to know much about tuning to see how erratic It is

·
Registered
455 Posts
You talking about the one causing the issue with the surge around 2900 RPM's? I haven't seen any updates yet, so I would assume not. The best bet would be to talk to guys that are beta testing the software, they usually get the trials of any software updates before it's released to the public. I used to beta test for EFILive and some of the things you recommend make it into public release and some don't....just depends on what the hot item is during development.

I'll data log this tomorrow on a "cold" start and see how it's doing down low in the R's. When I loaded this revision on the car it was already warm and I didn't notice any surge down low. It seems to go away right when the coolant temp hits 150*'s.
I have the same issue with mine when it is cold it will surge
like crazy! But is fine after it warms up!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Trust me, you're not the only one. It's not isolated just to Mustangs either. My '14 Focus did it, guys have reported it in the F150's, etc. There ahs to be something in one of the tables referencing throttle position, coolant temp, and / or load because those are the parameters that I see jumping around right at 2900 RPM's.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Good info thanks!
If you go up to post #16 you'll see where I caught in the logs. I also sent those into Paul and noted the spots it happens. Not sure what will come of it, but it's always good to note the problems.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I don't have a base file for this car in HP Tuners format, but in the '05 - '10 cars there is a spot where the ECM swtiches the cam timing from low speed to high speed at 1900 RPM's. I'm wondering if this is what's going on in these cars, but at 2900 RPM's and if it also affects the CMCP's.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Got revision 6 from Paul last night and got it loaded on the car. The weather isn't looking real good for smashing in the car the next few days, but if I get a break I'll put some hits on it. More than likely this should be the last set of small corrections before the car is ready to see what it can actually do, as the last version was actually really good......just a few little knock sensor hits around 5000 RPM's.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Annnnnd, we're good. It's at the point where the knock sensors are now trying to add timing vs take it away. The car is pulling really well and Paul is happy with the tune, so it's time to strap this sucker back down and see what she does. It'll probably be Thurs afternoon or Friday before I time to put it back on the dyno.

If you look at the logs below you can see where the knock sensors are showing negative values. This isn't pulling timing, this is adding timing, which is what you're looking for. The closer the knock sensor can stay to zero on the negative side, the closer the tune is to being dead on an not relying on the sensors to keep it from detonating.

This was banging 1st through 4th gear.....

This is WOT in 4th gear....

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Annnnnd, we're good. It's at the point where the knock sensors are now trying to add timing vs take it away. The car is pulling really well and Paul is happy with the tune, so it's time to strap this sucker back down and see what she does. It'll probably be Thurs afternoon or Friday before I time to put it back on the dyno.

If you look at the logs below you can see where the knock sensors are showing negative values. This isn't pulling timing, this is adding timing, which is what you're looking for. The closer the knock sensor can stay to zero on the negative side, the closer the tune is to being dead on an not relying on the sensors to keep it from detonating.

This was banging 1st through 4th gear.....

This is WOT in 4th gear....

Hey Silver - I'm happy to see and hear that you're in good shape ! Keep me in the loop if there's anything else I can lend a hand with and I look forward to seeing the pulls!

Alex

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well, long story short, the baseline SCT tune made more power and the curves followed each other exactly.

Best numbers....
Stock - 380 hp
Bama - 387 hp
SCT Baseline - 390 hp

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Here's the net result of several tanks of fuel, lots of thrashing on the car, and more than a little patience on my part.....

The base file (blue) is the one that was originally sent with no logging, no drive time.

The 6th revision of the tune (red) is the one after all the logging and thrashing on the car.

The ONLY spot the revised tune out performed the base line tune was from 6500 - 6700 RPM's, otherwise the base file was ahead of it the entire time.

·
Premium Member
5,321 Posts
Here's the net result of several tanks of fuel, lots of thrashing on the car, and more than a little patience on my part.....

The base file (blue) is the one that was originally sent with no logging, no drive time.

The 6th revision of the tune (red) is the one after all the logging and thrashing on the car.

The ONLY spot the revised tune out performed the base line tune was from 6500 - 6700 RPM's, otherwise the base file was ahead of it the entire time.

Wow

21 - 40 of 120 Posts