Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 64 1/2 Mustang Convertible is set up with a 93 Mustang short block with AFR 165 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, E303 cam, Edelbrock RPM intake, Edelbrock carburetor, and JBA headers. The engine is connected to a 98 4R70W transmission, controlled by a Baumann TCS. When the engine is idling, revved and held at any RPM, or driven normal, everything works great (no smoke). The problem is when I really get on it from a dead stop or even when at highway speed a lot of grayish blue smoke comes out of the exhaust and continues as long as I keep the pedal to the metal. I guess I could just drive normal, NOT! Any thoughts?

Doug

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just changed oil a week ago and now this afternoon the rockers are making clacking noise like the the lifters are not pumping up. I thought they were hitting the valve covers, since i used stock covers with two gaskets, so I took them off and let the engine idle (yea a little oil on the headers), still same sound. The valves were adjusted by a professional ford Mechanic, so I know they are adjusted correct. It kinda comes and goes, which makes me think lifters.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
the smoke is def. oil. it is common for older lifters. to have the seals crack and they loose their prime after sitting for awhile.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The heads are brand new AFR 165 less than a 100 miles since install. And how do you put a picture of your car on you post? Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
583 Posts
smoke on acceleration is getting past the rings. smoke on deceleration is in the heads.

don't take that too seriously but makes a good rule of thumb.

in a low gear like 2nd or 3rd run the car up to high RPM and just let the engine brake for a while, if you see alot of smoke on the decel its usually the valve guides.

·
Registered
583 Posts
deceleration causes high vacuum condition in cylinders which will draw oil through the valves and the rings... though rings will leak alot more in hard acceleration so if you get no smoke in acceleration and some in decel. then its usually in the head.

valve guides wont really leak in accel because the pressure of the cyclinders keeps them sealed off pretty well.

eventually either of these two conditions will show through at idle or light drive.

P.S. if your running an evac pump then all of this is naught.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Compression check, wet and dry, should give a good indicator. also, how do the plugs look. You need to see if it how many and which cylinders are affected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts