Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a common place to pick up a can of plasti dip? Also I'm looking for anyone with some pictures of dipping there grill? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Does anyone know of a common place to pick up a can of plasti dip? Also I'm looking for anyone with some pictures of dipping there grill? Thanks guys!
Home depot or lowes they have them.. Here some of mine when i dipped my grill.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Muscle car

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I couldnt upload the rest of it..

·
Registered
730 Posts
I got mine at home hardware. 20$ (canada) also homedepot has it. I just plasti dipped the Chrome part around the front grille. It comes out pretty thick though, very blotchy. It didn't come out like spray paint that I thought it would. Sorry I have no pics yet.

·
Premium Member
5,451 Posts
I got mine at home hardware. 20$ (canada) also homedepot has it. I just plasti dipped the Chrome part around the front grille. It comes out pretty thick though, very blotchy. It didn't come out like spray paint that I thought it would. Sorry I have no pics yet.
For this reason, I use Krylon's Black Fusion spray can paint, made for plastics on parts like this. Provides for a much better, smooth result.

I use a pre- cleaner (also available in spray can) to get any minute grease or oils off to get the best "paint stick", then a plastic primer (also available in spray can). I've had excellent results on all automotive plastics with this.

Vinyl paints also work excellent for plastics, as they have a flex agent in them.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
For this reason, I use Krylon's Black Fusion spray can paint, made for plastics on parts like this. Provides for a much better, smooth result.

I use a pre- cleaner (also available in spray can) to get any minute grease or oils off to get the best "paint stick", then a plastic primer (also available in spray can). I've had excellent results on all automotive plastics with this.

Vinyl paints also work excellent for plastics, as they have a flex agent in them.
The krylon black is what I actually used first a couple of months ago, it says no primer required on the can which was also the nice thing about it. But it started to chip away, maybe it didn't like the extreme cold we had this winter? I but 5 coats on it and it looked excellent! I hope the plasti dip stays on for the most part but I didn't get nearly as nice as a finish with it. Still not bad. No pics of it yet, the pic is with krylon.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Bumper

·
Registered
354 Posts
Theres some good sites like dipyourcar.com and the DipYourCar youtube channel for help on this sort of stuff. They've done whole Audi S4's and GTRs lol

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hey mike where in Canada you at??

·
Registered
354 Posts
Looks good shunc!

I'm curious how a lot of these dips would come out with the metallizer. Im hesitant to have a lot of matte emblems/wheels if my black car is going to have more of a shine to it when waxed.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Looks good shunc!

I'm curious how a lot of these dips would come out with the metallizer. Im hesitant to have a lot of matte emblems/wheels if my black car is going to have more of a shine to it when waxed.
For mine i used 2 cans and thats for both..

·
Registered
354 Posts
For mine i used 2 cans and thats for both..
Nice man. I'm looking at probably doing pony emblems / rims and maybe some small decals/hash marks or something to make the car slightly unique. I just want to make sure I dont overdue the dipping cause it detracts very quickly imo.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Nice man. I'm looking at probably doing pony emblems / rims and maybe some small decals/hash marks or something to make the car slightly unique. I just want to make sure I dont overdue the dipping cause it detracts very quickly imo.
Good luck bud, youl love it if not then just rip it off..

Reactions: MyLittlePwny

·
Registered
354 Posts
Good luck bud, youl love it if not then just rip it off..
Yep, thats my favorite part. Its the safest appearance mod I can do myself haha cause I can just peel it off.

Trying to figure out what second tone color I want to use on my stang so its not ALL black. I was thinking a nice charcoal to keep it subtle but unique. Im not too into the bright, loud colors.

Or white on black is pretty slick.

Throw up some pics when you remount the grill/chin!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts