Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
grinding noise from diff. *update w/ pics*

At least I think that's where it's comming from. It sounds like a wheel bearing going out, but I replaced the wheel bearing on the side that's causing the noise and it didn't help. The sound is only audible when it's under power, and it's not a constant sound. The faster the speed, the faster the sound. I pulled the diff cover and the pin was all chewed up around the flat spot in the middle. I replaced the pin, but it's still making the same noise. Do you guy's thinks it's the spider gears or do you think it might be the bearings on each end of the diff?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
i vote bearings. did you put friction modifier in with the gear oil? that should help some.

one for sure way to see if its the bearings is to pull the axle. there is a heat guard on the end that is black. if that is worn off and you can see silver metal, then your bearings are bad.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put the correct amount of friction mod. in when I installed it. The heat guard that you're talking about. Is that on the very end where the C clip holds it into the Diff., or further back?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
about 1/2" in from the c-clip. basically at the end of the splines. the heat thing is pretty much the whole black paint on the axle.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That didn't look particularly shiney when I pulled it last time, but I'll bet you're right and it's the differential bearings. I'll probably just try to get both sides. I wonder how much those run.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
theyre not too bad if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, just picked them up over my lunch hour. About $30 for both bearings and new races. Hope this cures the grindy noise of badness.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the bearing was deffinatly the problem. Check out the rollers and the race from the driver side:
:eek:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
wow, looks slightly used :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts