Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Proud 2013 V6 PP manual owner here. I've been reading all the great exhaust posts and like the feedback on the GT500 deletes on the V6. I'm hoping someone will have answers to the following questions.

- I like the pricing on the GT500 mufflers, and see that on the 2012 V6 only the inlet piping needs to be sized and welded. Does anyone know how much adjustment needs to be done to the exhaust hanger to fit the 2013? Any photos of hanger adjustment? (Trying to get quote for install from local muffler shop)

- Some have mentioned a loss of MPG with exhaust changes. What has your experience been with the GT500 swap and fuel efficiency (other than the heavy right foot after initial)?

Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did a little more looking around and I'm thinking the exhaust hangers are not very different on the '13. AM lists most of their axle backs as '11-'13. Even the GT500 exhaust lists as '13 compatible. I'm guessing it's just Magnaflow that is differentiating the '13 for V6 and GT, maybe due to their hanger design? Any warnings with the axle back fitment from fellow '13 owners before I pull the trigger??

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me know how it goes. I would love the GT500 exhaust as well. Are you buying yours from AM?
TheStig,

Trying to get a quote on welding and install from my local muffler shop before I order the exhaust just to make sure this doesn't turn into a major headache (that's why I'm trying to figure out this exhaust hanger question). In fact there is a youtube video of someone installing the Magnaflow Street axle-back on a '13 V6, and the axle-back system is listed as 11-12 only.
2013 Ford Mustang V6 Magnaflow Exhaust - YouTube

I plan on picking it up from AM. They seem like a great company, plus free shipping! Wish there were more videos/soundclips of the GT500's on '13 V6's. One guy on youtube has a few good videos, otherwise everything else is pre-2011. Magnaflow Streets are my second choice. I'll let everyone know how things go.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think I found a used set of GT500 mufflers and there fairly cheap. . So I think in the new year I'll go ahead and get them. So we're gonna have to get the install info for this.

That set up sounded pretty good eh? Not raspy , but rather deep and rumbly. I was surprised

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice! BTW been doing more searching and found another youtube video of a 2012 V6 with the GT500's. It's a procharged car. Sounds really nice, with that great burble. Here it is if your interested. Good luck with your install. I'm sure it will come out great!

Procharged v6 - YouTube

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
You'll like the sound of those GT500's. I have a set on my 2011's. I had no issues with the hangers, as they were the same as my stock ones. Perhaps the 2013's are different. My local muffler shop did the welding and install for $80.00.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bucko,

Thanks for the input. It was your posts and photos on the GT500 install that got me thinking about this as an option. Did the GT500's affect your gas mileage in any way? (better/worse/same?) Thanks.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Bucko,

Thanks for the input. It was your posts and photos on the GT500 install that got me thinking about this as an option. Did the GT500's affect your gas mileage in any way? (better/worse/same?) Thanks.
Just mufflers unless straight pipes will not affect the mpg

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update - Installed GT500 axle-backs today. Had a brief discussion of what needed to be done with the muffler shop, they took the car and it came back looking great. Fitment looks excellent. As many have said the 4" tip fills the valance very nicely. How do they sound? It's very close to what I was looking for in a DD exhaust. Fairly quiet under normal driving with a nice aggressive, slightly unrefined sound when you get on it. The youtube videos by howisit305hp are pretty accurate. Although in real life the note is a little deeper (definitely not as deep as the Magnaflow Streets sound on youtube though).

As far as installation. The front most brackets looked like they fit with no issue. The passenger side rear bracket looks like it needed to be rotated to bend over the top of the muffler. The driver side rear bracket looks unchanged to me. Here are a couple photos of the rear brackets for anyone interested. Hope they help.

Driver side

Passenger side

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Update - Installed GT500 axle-backs today. Had a brief discussion of what needed to be done with the muffler shop, they took the car and it came back looking great. Fitment looks excellent. As many have said the 4" tip fills the valance very nicely. How do they sound? It's very close to what I was looking for in a DD exhaust. Fairly quiet under normal driving with a nice aggressive, slightly unrefined sound when you get on it. The youtube videos by howisit305hp are pretty accurate. Although in real life the note is a little deeper (definitely not as deep as the Magnaflow Streets sound on youtube though).

As far as installation. The front most brackets looked like they fit with no issue. The passenger side rear bracket looks like it needed to be rotated to bend over the top of the muffler. The driver side rear bracket looks unchanged to me. Here are a couple photos of the rear brackets for anyone interested. Hope they help.

Driver side

Passenger side
VIDEO lol

·
Registered
569 Posts
Keep the stock size mid pipes and only will affect sound. If you're looking for sound and performance, go for long tube headers, shorty x pipe with cat delete (if you want to risk breaking the law), and cat backs. Borla is ridiculous. That with the ATAKS is crazy. I have the s types and that is loud enough. But, I digress, just mufflers is okay. No performance gain or loss. All gain will be in intake, headers and a wider pipe down the car. Loss will be in too big mid pipes an a restriction free axle back. Hope I could help.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
VIDEO lol
Haha, I'm not the most tech savvy so the video may be a stretch for me. Did you see how big those pictures ended up being? That wasn't on purpose! Saw your exhaust video. Nice setup. Thanks for sharing.

Keep the stock size mid pipes and only will affect sound. If you're looking for sound and performance, go for long tube headers, shorty x pipe with cat delete (if you want to risk breaking the law), and cat backs. Borla is ridiculous. That with the ATAKS is crazy. I have the s types and that is loud enough. But, I digress, just mufflers is okay. No performance gain or loss. All gain will be in intake, headers and a wider pipe down the car. Loss will be in too big mid pipes an a restriction free axle back. Hope I could help.
Good advice. Wish I could find some good dyno sheets as each mod was added. Seems to be a lot of CAI dyno sheets but not a lot for catback/axlebacks. I've heard the same thing, that going too large on the pipes can cause a loss, especially on the low end. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Haha, I'm not the most tech savvy so the video may be a stretch for me. Did you see how big those pictures ended up being? That wasn't on purpose! Saw your exhaust video. Nice setup. Thanks for sharing.

Good advice. Wish I could find some good dyno sheets as each mod was added. Seems to be a lot of CAI dyno sheets but not a lot for catback/axlebacks. I've heard the same thing, that going too large on the pipes can cause a loss, especially on the low end. Thanks.
Thanks man! And bro the video doesn't have to be like OMG badass quality we just need to listen not see hahah

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Glad they worked out for you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks man! And bro the video doesn't have to be like OMG badass quality we just need to listen not see hahah
Ok here's a video of the GT500's driving down the street. Strapped a point and shoot to my license plate so the video and sound isn't the best (definitely not "OMG badass") but gives a good sense of the sound. Towards the end hit about 5K rpm. Be sure to turn up the sound since there's some static.

2013 V6 GT500 axle-backs - YouTube

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Ok here's a video of the GT500's driving down the street. Strapped a point and shoot to my license plate so the video and sound isn't the best (definitely not "OMG badass") but gives a good sense of the sound. Towards the end hit about 5K rpm. Be sure to turn up the sound since there's some static.

2013 V6 GT500 axle-backs - YouTube
They sound pretty good man. Get an uncatted H-Pipe from lethal performance and it's gna be sweet

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
That sounds great. I like. Disregard santos, you don't need an o/r mid. Perfect as is! :p

I do hate all these new 13's with the quad tips.. Mine isn't so different anymore :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts