Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this may come off like a stupid questions, but I must ask. I purchased a 2013 GT in June, it is automatic, so that my wife can occassionaly drive it, when needed. I have noticed when I push it, it hesitates for a few seconds and then takes off, I am just wondering if this is normal. I think it is because automatic doesn't shift gears as fast as manual, but now and days automatic's have been improved. As I mentioned, it is not a huge hesitation, it is probably about 2-3 seconds. Any thoughts or imput?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Ucfknight said:
I think most people will tell you that a good tune would eliminate that problem.
Agreed. Most times the tunes rewrite the shift points of the mustang.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Maybe have Ford tune it or adjust it if thats all your concerned about. No since it jeapordizing your warranty over this if your not into modding. Just my opinion

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Turn the traction and stability control off and get back to us on how that feels.

The auto is pretty soft out of the box, though so, don't expect miracles.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
5LHO said:
Turn the traction and stability control off and get back to us on how that feels.
You may have just caused a accident, lol.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've got an auto too and I know what you're talking about. I have a CAI and tune, just got 3.73 gears and there's still a little lag if I floor it... Not what I've experienced in manuals. I would guess, since I'm certainly not a mechanic, that it takes a couple seconds for the computer to respond to the input and send the signal properly to the transmission on what to do. In a manual, it's different because you're already engaged in 1st and you're manually controlling the shift and transmission engagement points, not a computer. Does this make sense, or am I full of $hit? LOL!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mine has a delay between 1st and 2nd at WOT with traction control on and off. With it on it'll delay then chirp the tires. With it off it'll delay then roast the tires. Not sure it my tune needs some adjusting or what.

·
Registered
227 Posts
CorDog009 said:
Mine has a delay between 1st and 2nd at WOT with traction control on and off. With it on it'll delay then chirp the tires. With it off it'll delay then roast the tires. Not sure it my tune needs some adjusting or what.
I don't have that delay between 1st and 2nd at WOT unless I'm letting off the throttle at high RPM. Is you're car hanging for a moment at 7,000 before 2nd engages?

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
good ole drive by wire, its in the tune and can be tweeked but that will void the warranty :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A tune is what I was thinking also, I am in the process in purchasing a Steeda CAI with a tuner from Bama

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have a 07 so it might not even matter to you guys. But i had the same problem, got a tune and fixed it by 1000% shifts are much firmer, throws you in the seat more, and no delay anymore.

·
Registered
594 Posts
the auto is pretty tame from the factory but with 4 simple mods it will be amazing....cai/tune/3.73 gears/drag radials with this setup you will consistently be able to get low 12s high 11s... on the street an auto will never seem as fast as a manual because of the control factor but it will be faster than the manuals with the same mods

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
SpectorV said:
good ole drive by wire, its in the tune and can be tweeked but that will void the warranty :(
I know, frustrating. Can go Procal w/ standard warranty, but I have extended. :(

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
A tune is what I was thinking also, I am in the process in purchasing a Steeda CAI with a tuner from Bama
jrsyedb,

You'll be shocked how much the CAI/Bama package will change your GT. I think this is exactly what you're looking for. We drastically help the throttle hesitation, plus pick up a descent amount of hp/tq throughout the powerband. Also, in the future you may want to consider 3.73 gears to increase your acceleration even more!

If you have any questions, just let me know!

Shane

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don't have that delay between 1st and 2nd at WOT unless I'm letting off the throttle at high RPM. Is you're car hanging for a moment at 7,000 before 2nd engages?
Yea it's right at 7,000 or so. Not letting off the throttle, foot flat on the floor. I could probably count to 2 during that time.

·
Registered
227 Posts
CorDog009 said:
Yea it's right at 7,000 or so. Not letting off the throttle, foot flat on the floor. I could probably count to 2 during that time.
I'm thinking its within the tune, mine did that before I tuned it too. When you run the tune on an auto it changes the shift strategies of the transmission and it makes them quicker and firmer. If you're not into that for daily driving than you're prob gonna have to live with it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've got a custom 91 Torque tune in the car now. I'd like to be able to raise the part throttle shifts and shift firmness for sure. I can barely feel most of the shifts.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Smoke said:
Do u have that tune
No, no tune yet b/c of extended warranty. I knew Id have plenty of suspension, chassis, body mods etc., to do early in the warranty, but didnt realize there'd be do much throttle lag out of the box. I dont drag often though so not a huge deal. Just annoying and Id like to be rid of it in less than 7 years!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts