Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 2012 race red V6 premium with perf pkg. I've added a rear decklid spoiler (from Ford) and a MMD front hood scoop. I'm about to swap out my stock V6 front facia for a GT with a Boss lower valance. Bought the parts; bumper cover, GT grille, Boss valance, grille surround, and bumper braces.

Anyone have any helpful hints about pitfalls to avoid when removing/replacing the front bumper cover and grille on a 2012 V6? Anyone know of someone else who has done this type of conversion?

If all goes well, I should end up with one smokin' hot red stang. I'll be sure to post a few photos.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
So are you asking how hard it is to get the bumper off or am I just being stupid?

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
Lol, they're not heavy. I've never done the V6 to GT front end conversion but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night. Haha, no but I have removed my GT bumper several time and its a cinch. I actually added the chin spoiler to my C/S fascia today. image-3561265590.jpg My Grille being off is unrelated to the install of my splitter. I've got the Saleen grille but its got a crack that I'm trying to repair. I just haven't gotten around to it. :)

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Just grip where the body panel breaks and pop it goes. Just undo your chin spoiler and skid plate. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I've done it so many times I can do it in 10 minutes top

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Literally, it i snappy. Everything on this car is snappy and push pins. Kinda scary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks fellas. From all accounts this should really be do-able in my backyard garage with some simple tools and alot of patience. I hope to only have to do this once myself.

As a sidebar, my homework into the headlight wiring harness indicates there is only one version of the harnes that works for all models. Is this in fact the case and if so will it simply be a matter of hooking up the driving lights on the GT grille to an existing "free end" plug on the harness? Or do I have to buy a new harness component. I know I have to replace the switch, but that's a fairly simple (and cheap) swap.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks fellas. From all accounts this should really be do-able in my backyard garage with some simple tools and alot of patience. I hope to only have to do this once myself.

As a sidebar, my homework into the headlight wiring harness indicates there is only one version of the harnes that works for all models. Is this in fact the case and if so will it simply be a matter of hooking up the driving lights on the GT grille to an existing "free end" plug on the harness? Or do I have to buy a new harness component. I know I have to replace the switch, but that's a fairly simple (and cheap) swap.
There should be provisions for it. If not, do not wire them to the headlights. Use the parking lights instead. Should be a very straight forward and yes shadetree easy. Good luck and give us some pics. I want the grill and light housings, but I want to keep my v6 front end. I also need some factory v6 Fog Light housings if anyone has them. I can do some sweeeeet trade deals.
HID Unlimited Altamonte - Altamonte Springs, FL - Car Parts & Accessories, Automotive Customizing | Facebook :D Let me know.

-Aaron

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did it to mine it's a lot easier than in looks. I thought I was getting in over my head by doing it myself but it was surprisingly easy. As for the headlights, I didn't have to touch any wires for then, but I did add the fogs if that's what ur talking about. Getting the fog wiring into the drivers compartment was the only hard part.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Due to the difference in the grille and the requirement for a grille surround on the GT, you can't swap out the V6 grille for a GT grille without changing the whole bumper cover. Sorry. The best you'll be able to do is install the lower valance 3" fog lights. Fortunately you can source them quite easily through ebay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I need your help. I have a 2010 Mustang V6 Project., and I need to know if the gt bumper you can adapt on it?. I do this because I want to put the gt grille with the lights, and I've read that I need to change the bumper, is this correct or do differently? Thank you very much for your help

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Biggilbert said:
Hello I need your help. I have a 2010 Mustang V6 Project., and I need to know if the gt bumper you can adapt on it?. I do this because I want to put the gt grille with the lights, and I've read that I need to change the bumper, is this correct or do differently? Thank you very much for your help
I think there is an adapter, but there may not be. I would just switch the front ends. I think the six front end looks...unattractive, to not offend anyone. But that is my opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts