Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've searched and read several threads about the dreaded 5.0 "tick" and even listened to the videos of those who have it. I know what the "tick" sounds like.
If you've ever listened to the metallic sound that your exhaust makes as it cools down after shutting the car off? --- more of a soft metal "tang" or "tink"............our new 2015 with 3,500 miles has started making this noise on startup. The noise solely comes out of the passenger side tailpipe, where it even echoes out and is loudest at the tailpipe. It cannot be heard all of the time, and seems to be related to startup and being in gear at lower rpm's.
Anyone else ever heard this from their's?

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
exhaust/engine heat up noise? does it go away after engine is warm? Intermittent?
No, it has happened when the engine is full warm, like after a run on the freeway -- then driving slowly past a wall, I can hear it.
Seems to be the loudest at warm startup after the engine has been sitting for a couple of hours, but it's not fully cooled. Literally sounds like two pieces of small metal being tapped together somewhere in the right side exhaust....a soft metallic "ting". There is no noise out of the left side pipe at all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are you in a high humidity area? Condensation off ac or cooling system? I'm in GA and my car nearly pisses on my drive.

Yes it's fast, no you can't drive it.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Are you in a high humidity area? Condensation off ac or cooling system? I'm in GA and my car nearly pisses on my drive.

Don't think so --- our humidity here is as dry as anywhere (typically under 20%).....and I know the sound of the AC dripping....that's a HISSSS....TINKG!, and this is for sure a metal on metal sound and echoes INSIDE the right exhaust. You can actually hear it echoing down the pipe, making it a hollow sound as well.
And the car seems to run just fine otherwise.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you done any exhaust mods? Now you have my curious.

Nope, stock as a rock...........and thank you for your interest. The sound is somewhat intermittent, so it makes it difficult to record and post a video.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wonder if one of your CAT's has started to come apart?
Unless it gets a lot worse, I am only 1,500 miles from my next oil change, so I will take it to the dealer at that point.......I was wondering if it could be part of the exhaust as well. Would a couple of tanks of bad gas cause this as well?......I don't think so, as the noise seems to be in the exhaust, not the engine compartment.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
I'm not sure about the bad gas......although I'd think the knock sensor would be responding and ****** the ignition and you would notice the decrease in power.
I have noticed (since I put the GT500 twin tip mufflers on) that when I have the AC on the exhaust note changes..........not a sound like yours though.
As long as doesn't get any worse I'd have it checked when you have the oil changed.
The only car I had a similar issue was my 86 5.0l Capri. It had less than 5000 miles and I started hearing kind of the same noise...........a CAT had gone bad...they replaced it under warranty and it never happened again.
Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is your resonator, mine did the same and after I did the cat back no more noise

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is your resonator, mine did the same and after I did the cat back no more noise
That could very well be, as the noise seems to be generated within the right side exhaust pipe only. Could you tell what came apart inside the resonator after you took yours off?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The dealer will warranty the system because I know another person that had it replaced by the dealer, it appears to be a loose weld in the resonator, I just put on the Borla sport cat back and that was that ?

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dealer will warranty the system because I know another person that had it replaced by the dealer, it appears to be a loose weld in the resonator, I just put on the Borla sport cat back and that was that ?

I just love forums like this when you have something going on with your car and you can expand your knowledge base by tapping in to other's experiences. Thank you for your suggestion as to where to have the dealer check.
I happen to love the sound of the stock exhaust, and with a convertible, it is plenty loud enough (and quiet enough at times) for my tastes.....

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I couldn't stand it any more......just thinking it might be something major wrong with the car was having me lose sleep, so I took it into the dealer this morning.
They put it up on the rack while running and listened to the entire right side pipe with a stethoscope. They said the noise was coming from inside the right side muffler (which is what it seemed like to me too, as the noise was the loudest standing just in front of the RR wheel).
A new muffler is on order, and will be here in a couple of days. The service writer said that he's never had to order a new muffler for a new car in like a decade......so for now, I am glad it does not appear to be more major than a loose baffle......and praying they are right.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ask them if you can see the muffler they take off. I'd love to see it cut open and find the "culprit" if possible. And just to see what the chambers look like on a stock piece.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ask them if you can see the muffler they take off. I'd love to see it cut open and find the "culprit" if possible. And just to see what the chambers look like on a stock piece.
I'll see what I can do, but usually they need the old piece to claim warranty repairs....maybe not on such a large piece.
It would be nice to see what the heck came apart, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The exhaust is all one piece on the Gt and comes off as one big piece, How do they intend to replace just a muffler ( cut it) ?

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The exhaust is all one piece on the Gt and comes off as one big piece, How do they intend to replace just a muffler ( cut it) ?

Yeah, I asked the same thing....and was told that they would do the install....maybe I'll call them back and ask again......
Just got off the phone with them, and what they ordered ( which of course is on back order until Sept...) is both mufflers and tips, and they clamp on to the rest of the assembly about two feet in front of the rear axle.....???

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
Sounds like its time for an axleback... Or whatever its called on the 2015 cars.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts