Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I do a custom 4.2L in my v6 and new tranny to support it? All parts would mostly come from SSM and done by Napa or a place like that, or should I sell my v6 and get a GT, and work on it from there? I like the fact that I could have a sleeper v6 but the GTs will always hold price better. I can get my v6 to put out 5-600 HP. Any thoughts?
I'd be looking to get a 03-06 GT.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
everyone has their own opinion, you have to weigh the pros/cons and figure out the real world cost and if what you end up with will make you happy.

The more mods you do to a vehicle the more trouble and hassle you WILL have, thats just part of it.

I decided for me it was better to save and buy what I wanted as a GT or Mach 1 simply wasnt enough to satisfy me.

Building a 500-600hp V6 will probably end up costing you way more than you expected and in the end you will wish you never started the project, that would be my honest opinion but you never know.... plus its not as easy as it sounds to do... and you may give up a ton of drivability.

I would NOT EVER do this for my daily driver, only a weekend car and especially if you can not afford breaking stuff and massive downtime.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to make myself a nice weekend driver that's fast as hell but a good streetable car during the week to get to work etc. I only drive like 20-30miles a day. That's half the reason my 03 mustang only has 80k miles on it I don't drive a lot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I personally think you should up grade your v6. Because every one will be expecting a high power v8... But how many people can say they have a 600 HP v6?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ true that. It would just take money and time 5k in the engine with out FI. and idk how much in the tranny, would have to find a place to do that.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Well my friend will soon have his 05 V6 up to about 450 horsies, and he has smashed soooo much money into that thing, they are very VERY expensive.

It is much much easier and cheaper to get up to that horsepower with a GT, but it's really about what you want.

Yes a GT will hold a bit more value, especially a well done custom, but a V6 will sell much, much more easier.

IMO if you're wanting a weekend driver, build the GT how you want it and get the horsepower you want, half the people I know that have custom GTs drive them to work occasionally and still have them special on the weekends.

The common reason (not applying to me ha!) people buy a V6 is because they're not too interested in horsepower and are concerned with gas, you seem to be very interested in horsepower and trust me, my sixxer only gets 18.5 MPG, which is sometimes less than the GTs, so its not an issue with gas, and I drive around 50-60 miles a day if I don't do much.

But do what you want, just weigh the pros and cons :)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes mine 6 gets 17. So it's about the same as a GT. Its either a GT or a 77 vette stingray

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Yeah, so it really comes down to how much money are you willing to spend, because a GT would be cheaper.

Damn. 69 stingray is what I would get if I had to pick a Chevy, ha!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya I've seen several here for good prices and I love the old non-computer non-emmsion carb engines

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Yeah and not to mention 1969 was the peak of absolute straight up sex cars. Some beautiful legends were made that (ironic) year!

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
SpectorV said:
everyone has their own opinion, you have to weigh the pros/cons and figure out the real world cost and if what you end up with will make you happy.

The more mods you do to a vehicle the more trouble and hassle you WILL have, thats just part of it.

I decided for me it was better to save and buy what I wanted as a GT or Mach 1 simply wasnt enough to satisfy me.

Building a 500-600hp V6 will probably end up costing you way more than you expected and in the end you will wish you never started the project, that would be my honest opinion but you never know.... plus its not as easy as it sounds to do... and you may give up a ton of drivability.

I would NOT EVER do this for my daily driver, only a weekend car and especially if you can not afford breaking stuff and massive downtime.
I agree with this 100% if you plan on it as a DD then go with a GT, personally I'd want the GT either way.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
+1. A GT will cost a couple extra bucks over a V6 in the short run, but will save you thousands in the long run for those hp #s!.. Unless you want some thing that is more unique, I would go with the GT!.. There is no replacement for displacement!.. I have two friends with some built up Mustangs!.. One is a GT and the other is a V6!.. Both spent roughly the same exact amount in their engines!.. The V6 is fully built and has almost 500hp at the wheels!.. The GT is built and has 600hp at the wheels!.. The V6 is a weekend only car!.. The GT is almost a daily driver!.. Know what you want before you dive in!....

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Problem with the GT is insurance, but so is insuring a 77 classic vette. I might do the vette cuz of the carb system and the older engines r SO much easier to work on. If I could find a 1970 Mach 1 or Fastback I'd buy that.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
My insurance would be just as much if it were a V6!.. Most insurance companies still consider the V6 a sports car or muscle car!..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts