Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
I'm new to the community here and wanted to share a project I just completed on my 2007 V6. I couldn't for the life of me find a plenum/engine cover to fit on a 4.0. I know years back there was a short run of them but haven't been available for a few years now. So I decided to attempt the same plenum idea using one from a GT. After completing it with some adjustments and dremel cuts here and there, I mounted it and not sure if it looks right or not. I'm open to opinions!:D

Best regards,
Mustangindy

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Fiftyslost,
Thanks for the compliment. I attached it by using the hole at the back end of the stock intake manifold that is used to hold the spark plug wire clip in place then I drilled a hole in the port that looks similar at the front of the intake manifold that is factory plugged, I first measured from the fire wall to the existing spark plug wire clip holder hole then from that hole to the first hole at the top of the intake. I then placed the plenum on top and measured from the fire wall to the first hole location and then to the front hole so I could mark the plenum properly before drilling the needed holes. I fastened the plenum using a "push in" type trim clip with the ridges on it then in the front I was going to do the same thing but found a metal wheel/knob that had the right diameter and depth screw attached to hold the plenum in place. I had to only dremel the right back mounting bracket because the coil pack was in the way. I then cut a bit off near the egr valve so it sat perfectly flat. The plenum sits a bit more to the drivers side but it was the bast way to have it line up better with the throttle body.
Best regards,
Mustang Indy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Example of the plenum mounting locations on the V6

Below, I found a pic on-line of a 05-09 V6 plenum and circled the areas I used to mount the GT plenum ON MY v6. Hope this helps.The hole location on the right is the factory hole used to hold the spark plug wire clip, the hole on the left is plugged and would have to be drilled but not too deep. I placed a drill bit down the factory hole and marked the depth with a marker then drilled the plugged hole until the bit with the marker line was flush with the top of the hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the information mustangindy. That clears up all the questions I was having. I'm bidding on a cover now on Ebay. Thanks again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've seen many people attempt this with so so results but if you take your time and get the plenum in the right position, it actually comes out pretty good. Yes there are four ports on the sides instead of three but unless you examine it closely, you really can't tell. I think it helps improve the look in my opinion, especially with the lack of 4.0 plenums out there to buy.

Best regards,
Mustangindy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi mustangindy. I lost out on Ebay but bought one from CJPony for $84 delivered with promo code. Debating on the throttle body extension. Do you think it would fit? Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Fiftyslost,
I think the throttle body extension would work fine. You may just have to shave off a bit where the cover meets the top of the throttle but not 100% sure. It may just fit fine with minimal if any modifications.
P.s. $84.00 is a good price for that cover.

Best regards,
Mustang Indy

·
Registered
900 Posts
I think it looks good! I wouldn’t use so many badges but that’s me. Nice job ?

·
Registered
900 Posts
It’s easy to get caught up with all the decorations b/c they all look so good! Of course it’s all a matter of taste but too much can be distracting.
Stripes are another decoration that Ppl can go overboard with. I go back n forth with the c stripe on mine. When that was the only black on the car, it wasn’t a question of too much but now I have the hood, roof, deck lid, spoiler, rear panel and wheels blacked out. I still like it but some might think it’s too much. Not their car so too bad lol!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s easy to get caught up with all the decorations b/c they all look so good! Of course it’s all a matter of taste but too much can be distracting.
Stripes are another decoration that Ppl can go overboard with. I go back n forth with the c stripe on mine. When that was the only black on the car, it wasn’t a question of too much but now I have the hood, roof, deck lid, spoiler, rear panel and wheels blacked out. I still like it but some might think it’s too much. Not their car so too bad lol!
I hear you! If I were to attach every single decal, badge and strip I have, you wouldn't be able to tell there's a car underneath! lol! With so so many choices and cool looking items out there it is easy to go overboard. I did however slow down on the exterior (I think) with the exception of new eleanor style window scoops and lower scoops not pictured here yet.
Best regards,
MustangIndy

Attachments

·
Registered
789 Posts
Nice work on the whole engine bay "indy". The originality of little touches is what makes something unique from just a bolt on car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice work on the whole engine bay "indy". The originality of little touches is what makes something unique from just a bolt on car.
Hey, Thanks! Yes...I try to keep it looking somewhat decent. The motor just hit 206,000 miles this week so for the last 12 years I've tried to keep her looking young.

P.s. Not only bolt on's but a few internal mods as well.:cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't understand plastic covers on engines. I like to see the hard parts that do the work.
That said, your engine bay looks very tidy - I don't see anything looking out of place, so your install seems to be successful!

Alex

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't understand plastic covers on engines. I like to see the hard parts that do the work.
That said, your engine bay looks very tidy - I don't see anything looking out of place, so your install seems to be successful!

Alex
Hi Alxndr13, I hear you ! I just thought the stock intake manifold lacked styling and For many years I looked at it and disliked the look. Finally I decided to try and change it but couldn't find the 4.0 plenum covers anywhere, so I decided to use the GT 4.6 cover instead and was hoping it wouldn't look so bad.

Best regards,
Mustang Indy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Intake cover

Hi indy. Got my cover yesterday and installed it. Went without a hitch thanks to your help. I don't think I would have thought of the method you used. It worked well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi indy. Got my cover yesterday and installed it. Went without a hitch thanks to your help. I don't think I would have thought of the method you used. It worked well.
Hey Fiftyslost,
Yes! I'm glad you did it!... congrats brother. Happy to hear it went well. Post a pic if you can...love to see it.

Best regards,
Mustang Indy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Mustang Indu. Great job and looks super! Installed cover on my '12 V6 3.7 and it résolu dresses up the engine bay. Other thing I found to complete the look is the cover set over the battery and brake fluid tank. Cheers!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts