Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to be buying a dual exhaust system for my car soon. :D I hear about this GT-Dual Exhaust take off system. Now comparing that to other systems out there such as magnaflow, borla, etc., is the performance about the same? Is it mainly just a matter of diffferent sound out of different mufflers?

I'd actually rather have the muffler sound quiet except a boost in idle sound would be cool. As long as the performance would be there. (I know I won't get much out of it now, but maybe when I get my CAI, Ported Intakes, Heads it should :)

Plus I would like to go with the ultimate sleeper look for my car. I don't want any mods at all to my exterior or interior really... if I'm going to spend any $$ for my car it's going to be in the engine... even though its only a v6. Some of these cars won't expect it ;)

Thanks

·
11,873 Posts
Gt take offs are stainless steal so they wont rust. Others like MAc arent and tend to rust. Other than that its mainly sound. besides you can always put new mufflers on a gt take exaust if you want something louder

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yeah, I saw got with the GT takeoffs just so you can get all of the hardware you need and such -- plus the stainless pipes do help. And then go ahead and get yourself a pair of Magnaflows or Flowmasters. Me, myself, I went with a GT takeoff system and then tossed out the mufflers for dual stainless steel Magnaflow XL mufflers along with stainless dual DTM exhaust tips.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
gt takeoffs aren't really a system per-say, just a set of catbacks taken off of a gt mustang. they are pretty good, and while the mufflers are quiet on our cars (less displacement = less air volume) they are stainless steel, and the tailpipes and tips are polished, so they look very sharp. they also tend to be very cheap, usually taken off by GT owners that are upgrading to custom exhaust themselves...

as for other systems, bassani and borla catbacks are also stainless steal, but they are extremely expensive, and not really recommended unless you'll be building a new engine

mac, flowmaster and magnaflow are alright, but as was stated, they aren't stainless steel, so they WILL rust, probably sooner as opposed to later. so if you just want dual exhaust, go with the GT takeoffs, you can always replace the mufflers later on

·
Registered
614 Posts
Your wrong there. Flowmasters, Macs, and Magnaflows are available in stainless steel. I have stainless steel Magnaflows.

I will agree all the Mac and Magnaflow mufflers I have seen were stainless

All the Flowmasters I have seen were Aluminum but that is not to say you cant get them in stainless

·
Registered
38 Posts
get the GT takeoffs. they are cheaper than buying a whole system. i recommend trying to find a GT takeoff system from EBAY or from the classifieds of any mustang forum. i bought mine for $150 from a guy off of Mustang World. thats a hell of a lot cheaper than any brand name system out there.

·
11,873 Posts
Concordium said:
get the GT takeoffs. they are cheaper than buying a whole system. i recommend trying to find a GT takeoff system from EBAY or from the classifieds of any mustang forum. i bought mine for $150 from a guy off of Mustang World. thats a hell of a lot cheaper than any brand name system out there.
I agree

Welcome to the site

·
Registered
941 Posts
darkling said:
gt takeoffs aren't really a system per-say, just a set of catbacks taken off of a gt mustang. they are pretty good, and while the mufflers are quiet on our cars (less displacement = less air volume) they are stainless steel, and the tailpipes and tips are polished, so they look very sharp. they also tend to be very cheap, usually taken off by GT owners that are upgrading to custom exhaust themselves...

as for other systems, bassani and borla catbacks are also stainless steal, but they are extremely expensive, and not really recommended unless you'll be building a new engine

mac, flowmaster and magnaflow are alright, but as was stated, they aren't stainless steel, so they WILL rust, probably sooner as opposed to later. so if you just want dual exhaust, go with the GT takeoffs, you can always replace the mufflers later on
a "system" includes headers, midpipe and catback. gt take offs are just another catback. the best thing you can do dollar for horsepower is to get gt take offs. if you don't like the sign, find some used or cheap new muffs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts