Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thats surprising as hell to hear there are places in Ca. with no emissions test requirements.I figured every ounce of that state required it??I haven't tried doing a search yet,but are you aware of the year when the use of catalytic converters began and will a converter being used on a vehicle that was never equipped with one help it not smell like raw gas or will it need something like a smog pump added in order to function properly??

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
There are several, well, actually 18 (plus parts of 6 more) counties that are relatively sparsely populated, and do not require emissions testing.

They started putting catalytic converters on passenger cars in 1975.
Yes. An older vehicle can be retrofitted with a catalytic converter with the same success, along with all of the shortcomings, of the mid to late 70's early 80's cars.
It was a difficult balancing act getting catalytic converters to work properly on carbureted engines without overheating the cats. Along with using air injection to help control the exhaust temperature, they used solenoids on the carburetor that would not allow the throttle plate to slam shut when the accelerator was suddenly let off, thus preventing the dumping of raw fuel into the exhaust system.
Before the widespread use of catalytic converters, some vehicles used only upstream air injection as a means of controlling emissions by helping the unburned fuel in the exhaust system to fully combust.
Electronic Fuel Injection made it much easier to precisely control the Air Fuel Ratio, which, in turn, made it easier to control the exhaust temperature.
And the rest is history, as they say.

I honestly believe that the majority of automobile engines would still be carbureted if it were not for the ammendment of the Clean Air Act in 1977 which significantly lowered the allowable vehicle emissions.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
Wow thread necro from hell.

An 85 is carb'd and doesn't even have a computer so why are you asking about codes? Also EGR didn't start till 1986 IIRC so if you don't have EGR then you don't have to worry about it. I'd also check to see if a car that old is exempt...

To answer the question of the orignal poster 7 years ago and this one... no you don't get non EGR heads drilled out. And for 94/95 cars those use an external EGR anyway so that person 7 years ago hopefully figured that out although GT40 heads aren't exactly economical by the time you get the heads $200, then get machine work and valvejob done $300 and then any new valve guides/seals, better spirings/keepers etc... another $200-$300. You might as well buy a new set of Trick Flow 170s at that point. I'm speaking from experience.

If you are gonna do a HCI, get TFS 170s, a cam from FTI and then either a ported lower Cobra/Explorer/GT40 intake or a good aftermarket intake.
Wow, I was surprised to see this one pop up in my email. Lol

I guess I got lucky with my gt40p heads, had the valves re-seated, and bought upgraded springs and still came out under $400 vs the 1200-1400 for trickflow heads depending on where you buy them. With those heads, a ported explorer intake, and a FRP E-303 cam my 93 made a little over 300hp to the tires for well under $1000.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
There are several, well, actually 18 (plus parts of 6 more) counties that are relatively sparsely populated, and do not require emissions testing.

They started putting catalytic converters on passenger cars in 1975.
Yes. An older vehicle can be retrofitted with a catalytic converter with the same success, along with all of the shortcomings, of the mid to late 70's early 80's cars.
It was a difficult balancing act getting catalytic converters to work properly on carbureted engines without overheating the cats. Along with using air injection to help control the exhaust temperature, they used solenoids on the carburetor that would not allow the throttle plate to slam shut when the accelerator was suddenly let off, thus preventing the dumping of raw fuel into the exhaust system.
Before the widespread use of catalytic converters, some vehicles used only upstream air injection as a means of controlling emissions by helping the unburned fuel in the exhaust system to fully combust.
Electronic Fuel Injection made it much easier to precisely control the Air Fuel Ratio, which, in turn, made it easier to control the exhaust temperature.
And the rest is history, as they say.

I honestly believe that the majority of automobile engines would still be carbureted if it were not for the ammendment of the Clean Air Act in 1977 which significantly lowered the allowable vehicle emissions.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wow, I was surprised to see this one pop up in my email. Lol

I guess I got lucky with my gt40p heads, had the valves re-seated, and bought upgraded springs and still came out under $400 vs the 1200-1400 for trickflow heads depending on where you buy them. With those heads, a ported explorer intake, and a FRP E-303 cam my 93 made a little over 300hp to the tires for well under $1000.

Yeah Ive read threads/posts quite frequently where someone confuses the thermactor system passages with the egr system. Eventhough they're both used for emissions, they're two separate systems.Like you eluded to,the 94-95 5.0 has that metal pipe that runs between the passenger exhaust manifold and the egr valve to feed the exhaust gases directly to the valve,which prevents you from having to rely on egr passages inside the intakes and heads to route the gases to the intake side of the egr spacer (which is how its done when running a 86-93 egr valve/spacer setup) I think it would have been a better way to feed egr gases to the 86-93 models too because the intakes and the throttle body would not have been exposed,directly/indirectly,constantly to hot exhaust gases,eventhough the egr spacer has coolant running through the tb side of it to supposedly help with that.The egr spacer could then be removed,with a delete plate in its place to mount the throttle cable bracket.However,that metal pipe on the 94-95 models does tend to split with age,so it would have to be repaired/replaced
after so long.Id still rather have that egr setup vs the Foxbody setup on my 91 LX.

·
Super Moderator
17,831 Posts
Yeah me too and that is the EGR setup used on the 96-04s as well. Pipe to the valve at the intake although its way easier to get at the 94/95 one than any modular one... Lots of ppl just delete it, although there is 0 benefit to doing that besides a cleaner engine bay really. I don't have to have one here at all where I live but if I move back to the States or go on to Germany I damn sure will so its gonna stay on.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
I dont know if the pin I made in 2012 is still up, but hp wise there is no benefit and no draw back either to removing the egr system. I deleted mine mostly because I didn't feel like paying to replace parts that I intended to delete down the road when I started modifying the engine. The thermactor was worth getting rid of all the way, especially in weight savings. Now though I dont have to deal with fuel injection or emissions so my 90 has none of it. Lol

·
Lorraine's driver
8,172 Posts
I dont know if the pin I made in 2012 is still up, but hp wise there is no benefit and no draw back either to removing the egr system. I deleted mine mostly because I didn't feel like paying to replace parts that I intended to delete down the road when I started modifying the engine. The thermactor was worth getting rid of all the way, especially in weight savings. Now though I dont have to deal with fuel injection or emissions so my 90 has none of it. Lol

I didn't even know you were still on ME, slowstang. Good to hear you still have your Mustang.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,172 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,831 Posts
****, hope everything was ok. My father in law was just in one of those... woke up on the road with his knee split open, concussed, broken foot, broken arm and 3 busted ribs thank god an actual nurse was driving about a half mile behind him and administered first aid. Jackass texting in a minivan drifted over and head on at 50mph, he only made it because he was in a pretty good sized truck and even then... Dude in the van tried to claim it was his fault and lawyer/police report shut that down quick, looking like 5 figures from the insurance company and the lawyer wants to go to court in a civil suit because its so cut and dry.

So yeah that's my story, hopefully yours wasnt that bad and if it was I hope you got a good chunk of $$$ out of it.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
I had just got done with a 32hr crunch working on it to fix throttle issues and address some reliability issues because my wife had to use my daily. On my way to work the car was acting a little more ready to go and a wet road made the car slide and a mailbox jerked it back the other way. A tree finished the job so no money, but no ticket either. It did make me realize how fragile the foxes are, especially after most bones in my left hand and wrist were broken, severe concussion, a few broke ribs from the seat belt and the burns from the airbag, which didnt stop my head hitting the steering wheel. 20160307_053126.jpg

·
Lorraine's driver
8,172 Posts
I had just got done with a 32hr crunch working on it to fix throttle issues and address some reliability issues because my wife had to use my daily. On my way to work the car was acting a little more ready to go and a wet road made the car slide and a mailbox jerked it back the other way. A tree finished the job so no money, but no ticket either. It did make me realize how fragile the foxes are, especially after most bones in my left hand and wrist were broken, severe concussion, a few broke ribs from the seat belt and the burns from the airbag, which didnt stop my head hitting the steering wheel. View attachment 258429

Looking at the pic...I think luck was on your side too lol.

I've seen a guy in front of me before slide one way and hit something and immediately slingshot off the road the other direction. It's amazing how fast that happened watching it go down.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
Looking at the pic...I think luck was on your side too lol.

I've seen a guy in front of me before slide one way and hit something and immediately slingshot off the road the other direction. It's amazing how fast that happened watching it go down.
Had the mailbox not been there I would have likely been able to maintain the car on the road, but that wasnt the case. I enjoy my new fox but it I dont have the same Joy's driving it that I did with my gt.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts