Mustang Evolution Forum banner

GT500 Bumper... Worth It?

3K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Flashjmg 
#1 ·
Ok, got down to the nitty gritty of going with a GT500 bumper today.

The bumper itself is around $350 (I'm pretty sure I can get it for this, I need to get a freight quote from Tousley to see if I can get it for less). Grills $370 and the lower valance is $160.

So, is $880 + paint worth the price of something as simple as a new bumper? When I look at slapping in a black billet grill for as little as $170, it seems really excessive. Maybe I can go the CDC grill and custom fab a lower grill to resemble the GT500. Decisions, decisions.

Who here has a CDC grill on their V6? Any pics?

#3 ·
If its what you really want get it.I love the look of the CDC grill.I feel the same probably as you
when I buy new aftermarket parts.You question if its worth the money,then later we do it all over again.I just ordered more parts for mine.Sorry to say im loosing the mod battle.

#4 · (Edited)
Well, I've been trying to see how I could duplicate the GT500 look without spending near as much. The first thing I noticed is Roush fog inserts get close to GT500-esque. What if you painted them? Did a render on one just to color it a bit Looks pretty good I think.

Next, is lower grill. Ours isn't as tall as the GT500 opening, but Roush adds an upper lip to theirs to make it seem bigger. Hmm. Easy enough to duplicate with vinyl. However, they don't seem to sell this open grill that looks almost identical to the GT500 lower grill, except no vertical splitters? If I could get this lower grill, I could add my own vertical splitters. It'd be darn close.

Attachments

#7 ·
I like the rendering a lot.

I want to do a GT500 bumper eventually as well but I can only justify it if my current cover gets nicked up or damaged.. I have the foglight option on my car and have thought about painting the black inserts on them to match my car to give it more of a GT500 look.

#5 ·
My opinion is, no. $1000 for a slightly different look in the front? The stock 13 front is close enough to the GT500 imo. I like your front as is. You've got the stock front bumper with a GT500 style hood. It's different and I like it. Just grab a different grille.

But hey, it's your money not mine. Just my opinion man. When it comes to stuff like that, if you like it then it's money well spent!

#6 ·
Snaguin....you just were wanting the fog light set up on that right....? Roush kit will require mod of factory bumper (why I'm not going with that). AM has pic of cdc grill on a ghig, as well as sema shots of the trufiber ghig vert. Id just get the cdc set and get the factory fogs (cheaper on ebay)...can't see 1K in a bumper either. Now 1500 in a ram air / heat eaxtractor hood...well (hand raised)..LOL

#8 ·
I still have my stock grilles (I swapped them for MCA grilles) and I have thought about taking a dremel to them to clean out the insides so the lip would still be there... If you need lots of pics of the stock grilles for the v6 out of the car LMK. I will take a bunch. Maybe you will get some ideas and could cut yours up to make them replicate the GT500 grilles.

#9 ·
I wanted to add that the stock upper grille when viewed from the back side has a perfect edge that is molded into the hex shaped grille openings that in my opinion would be very easy to cut along straight with a fine jewelers saw or a coping saw and it would look very similar to the 2010-2012 GT500 opening. You would still leave the sides that are nonfunctional in the design of the hex shapes, just cutting the center out. As I said it is almost like they put a lowered cut line in the piece for you to do it yourself but is most likely that way from a molding process when they are manufactured. You can see it with the grill out..

#11 ·
I love the look of the GT500, but I like it for the purpose. That big gapping open mouth goes to something. The supercharger needs air, for power and cooling.

On a v6, without adapting the wheel wells, side panels or additional hood air extractors, you are basically INCREASING your drag coefficient by a considerable amount for the sole purpose of looks.

If you like it, go for it. Just keep in mind the impairment on a racetrack/drag strip, and the subtle decrease in fuel economy.

#12 ·
I have the hood heat extractor, so I do have a bit more area for the air to flow. The only reason I would be doing it is for looks though.

I love GT's LED fogs in the grill, and can dump $300 on a working setup with the grill. But, you're stuck with a stock grill and pony unless you modify... so many options I think I'm overwhelmed atm. I've never owned a car with such a large aftermarket before.

#13 ·
i HEAR YOU.....hence the idea for the Roush upper to go with my already installed black cs/gt lower...wide open airflow, and will look better with LED back lighting

#15 ·
Well,i cheaped out on my grill.I cut out alot of the honeycomb on my upper grill.I left enough for it to be strong, then i plasti dipped the whole grill.I have way more airflow and I also painted the front of my radiator with black engine paint to give a total
black appearance.I like it and it was only labour and some paint.

#20 ·
Here is mine, I had one of the first grilles from CDC other than on their shop cars, as part of a package I won from them.

This one is a photoshop with the tri-bar on the grille, although I plan to put it on the other side so it doesn't block air flow to the intake. It also photoshops paint on the RTR front splitter.

#21 ·
Here is mine, I had one of the first grilles from CDC other than on their shop cars, as part of a package I won from them.

This one is a photoshop with the tri-bar on the grille, although I plan to put it on the other side so it doesn't block air flow to the intake. It also photoshops paint on the RTR front splitter.
Love your car JimC!!

#22 ·
Wow. I absolutely hated that chin spoiler, until I saw your PS of it red. It looks way better.

We'll see what happens. I still haven't decided yet. Time is a great thing to have when making decisions like this. :)

#29 ·
2013...your Stang kicks ass...Looks awesome that way!
But got to agree...dont put the emblems on....find something different to badge it with.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

other than the shelby on the back side..that seems to work. need to get custom GTS emblems from Shelby......

#31 ·
Yea I'm still contemplating on what I should do to my dinged up front end. I keep goin back and forth and when I see a thread like this it makes me kind of want to get the gt500 front end. However I like the billet look but think the AM ones look kind of plasticy and cheap. I do need a new lower grill cause mine got knocked off in the accident last month. I don't know if I like the hole in the grill like the gt500 has. Lol. And I like the mustang badge on it. Not sure what to do. 1000 plus bucks for a bumper that may be too much.... :/

What was that air ram cooling option u guys said?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.