Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have divorced dual flowmaster 40s with stock cats and i want it to be louder but still stay legal cause california smog laws suck! would adding an H pipe make it louder or just deeper or reduce the noise? i want it to be louder cause whenever a GT with an exhaust pulls next to me, i get extremely jealous and DONT TELL ME TO BUY A GT OR V8! im already looking around but dont have the cash.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Go buy a GT then... TROLLOLOLOL

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well, an h pipe won't make it louder... but will sound a lot better. Maybe go with a better flowing muffler since you can't take your cats off... try flowmaster 10's

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bmabbott said:
Well, an h pipe won't make it louder... but will sound a lot better. Maybe go with a better flowing muffler since you can't take your cats off... try flowmaster 10's
So adding a little h pipe could hurt the noise right?

·
Registered
502 Posts
An h pipe will give it a deeper tone not louder. Only way to get louder is with CARB approved high flow catalytic converters

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dgerow12 said:
An h pipe will give it a deeper tone not louder. Only way to get louder is with CARB approved high flow catalytic converters
Yeah but I don't have the cash to put 4 high flows on. That's easily $1200 so screw that haha. So adding a little cross pipe just makes a nice deep rumble but doesn't hurt the loudness?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Actually the high flow catalytic converters from American muscle run about 200 per SET. You would need to check out with them whether they are carb approved but they say they pass MOST emissions tests

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually the high flow catalytic converters from American muscle run about 200 per SET. You would need to check out with them whether they are carb approved but they say they pass MOST emissions tests
i forgot that AM had catalytic converters. but knowing california laws, they probably wont be legal

·
Registered
420 Posts
austinknoll said:
i have divorced dual flowmaster 40s with stock cats and i want it to be louder but still stay legal cause california smog laws suck! would adding an H pipe make it louder or just deeper or reduce the noise? i want it to be louder cause whenever a GT with an exhaust pulls next to me, i get extremely jealous and DONT TELL ME TO BUY A GT OR V8! im already looking around but dont have the cash.
You could try a X pipe
Some people don't like it but I've never heard one in person
They say it makes it louder and raspier

·
Registered
835 Posts
it depends where your at in california as well. Where i'm at you only smog the car when you sell it. or if your bringing it off of non-op. I live in a rural area so that's probably why. I haven't taken my cat's off but when I go to get duals eventually I'll have the Y pipe cut to make a H or divorced duals. I'm thinking flowmaster 40's or 10's for when I get the money to do it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wanna stay legal though. I live in San Diego and we have to smog our cars every 2 years so its not worth it to cut off the cats.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
austinknoll said:
i wanna stay legal though. I live in san diego and we have to smog our cars every 2 years so its not worth it to cut off the cats.
nonsense it's totally worth it! :)

·
Banned
2,801 Posts
No. Keep the cats. I had no cats at one time. Sometimes being the loudest isnt everything. Get the cats for a mellowed out sound.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts