Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Ford 302FI (Thanks to my 98 Explorer EB). I already know I'm going to rebuild the motor, no since in letting it go to waste. The thought that has crossed my mind now is; Since I'm overhauling the whole car from the ground up, it may be a good time to pull out the 3.8 and drop in the 5.0 (I have the complete motor, harness, 8.8 rearend, etc) The only downside I see currently is the transmission I have for the 302 is an automatic while I currently have the 5-speed in my Mustang. I'm not too sure if I want to, or can even swing a transmission into my already out of control budget.

I see a lot of people doing 4.6 swaps into the 3.8 newedge Mustangs, but I'm not finding much at all on a fuel injected 5.0 from an explorer. Has anyone here undertaken this project before?

I've found a few posts on the forums but nothing useful. The comments given don't take into account that I already have most of the parts, and am going to have to car torn apart already as well. That stuff considered I'm having a hard time seeing any issues I could run into. I do welcome some enlightenment on the subject before I fully commit.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Wow thats sweet, i wosh i could help you but I cant :/ sorry! Im sure someone will chime in! Awesome idea though!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to have it done by Mustang Week, but with all the other stuff I need to do on the car, and with the wife and kids, I don't see the swap getting done by then.

I am almost certain I need to buy another cross member. Does anyone know if I can use the k member out of an 94-95? That's what I'm thinking. But I wonder if I could use the k member from an 01-04 GT.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Iv only ever seen one new edge with a 5.0 in it and it did run, but it was a total hack job. Almost everything was on switches but that was just due to lack of effort by the person that swapped it

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
I would love to have it done by Mustang Week, but with all the other stuff I need to do on the car, and with the wife and kids, I don't see the swap getting done by then.

I am almost certain I need to buy another cross member. Does anyone know if I can use the k member out of an 94-95? That's what I'm thinking. But I wonder if I could use the k member from an 01-04 GT.
You'll need to use the 94-95 k-member, the 5.0 will not bolt to a 4.6 k-member at all.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I thought as much. I also hadn't put much thought into my guage cluster. Will it work with the new motor?

I'm starting to think that I may keep the 3.8 in there. I may tear down and build up the 5.0 to drop in a fox. I can find fox rollers all day long around me for fairly cheap.

I'm leaning toward picking up a fox, I could always make room in the garage for another stang.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Project Pony said:
I thought as much. I also hadn't put much thought into my guage cluster. Will it work with the new motor?

I'm starting to think that I may keep the 3.8 in there. I may tear down and build up the 5.0 to drop in a fox. I can find fox rollers all day long around me for fairly cheap.

I'm leaning toward picking up a fox, I could always make room in the garage for another stang.
Id get a fox. Much easier to put the 5.0 in and its lighter. You will also look 100% bad ass every time you drive it.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats the route I am going to take. Im combing through the classifieds right now to find me a 87-93 fox. I see one on craigs list, 93 with a vortex supercharger, I got pretty excited because the car looks amazing. I do think its a bs ad though. At 1600 bucks it would be the steal of a lifetime but I cant get ahold of the guy.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Iv had some pretty good luck on Craigslist too but you just never know, but sometimes you come across someone that needs cash bad and get a great deal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts