Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My head gasket blew I have some mechanical knowledge but I am no expert do u think I can do it myself put should I not even try????

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've done it before and what helps is I make sure I keep all the bolts organized so I know exactly where they go, and after each step I take a pic so I know how it goes back together. Just make sure you have the torque specs so you know what to torque everything down to. Haynes and chiltons has em.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yea if you read through a haynes and feel comfortable enough after reading to give it a shot. It's not the hardest thing to do but it's not swapping out an alternator either expect at least a full day of work for your first time out take your time read the manual and you should be just fine. I advise you change both as the for the fact that you have the engine apart and its good practice to change them in pairs for the simple reason that the other side might blow and you have to tear into it again. You'll also need a new upper intake gasket , exhaust manifold gaskets and you dont have to if there not leaking but regardless of condition i would get new valve cover gaskets too.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
l2plagears said:
Yea if you read through a haynes and feel comfortable enough after reading to give it a shot. It's not the hardest thing to do but it's not swapping out an alternator either expect at least a full day of work for your first time out take your time read the manual and you should be just fine. I advise you change both as the for the fact that you have the engine apart and its good practice to change them in pairs for the simple reason that the other side might blow and you have to tear into it again. You'll also need a new upper intake gasket , exhaust manifold gaskets and you dont have to if there not leaking but regardless of condition i would get new valve cover gaskets too.
The exhaust gaskets are reusable on our sixers, they're mls metal gaskets and seal wonderfully

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
l2plagears said:
Good to know bro i had no idea those are reusable. Does that apply to any metal spring loaded gasket?
Not sure what other gaskets are (besides heads that are mls, and no can't be reused lol)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts