Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think my header gasket has blown again...damn its a hassle this is second time its done it sence my shorty install...on passanger side why does it keep blowing??:disgust:

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
I used copper gaskets when I did mine w/ no issues. Also if the flanges have weld trash on them it can cause issues. I filed my flanges down, and knocked down the weld in the tubes too.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Copper gaskets and cleaning up the header surface is very good advice. :good:

I have also used a thin coat of Permatex Ultra Copper silicone over both sides of the paper gaskets with good results. Just let the silicone dry completely after spreading it on the gasket with your fingers and lightly grease the header and head surfaces when installing. The grease allows the gasket to move around a bit during installation to keep from tearing the coat of silicone.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Took me a long time to install mine, and it was a real pain. I had herd the horror stories of blown gaskets and $25 bucks for copper gaskets is a small price for piece of mind. :)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used copper gaskets when I did mine w/ no issues. Also if the flanges have weld trash on them it can cause issues. I filed my flanges down, and knocked down the weld in the tubes too.
details plz...where did u get them??

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
When I bought/traded for my headers at FastLane(a speed shop) I ordered them there. Any speed shop can get them for you, maybe the parts store too. I'd have to look but I'd guess AM.com has them too.

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Mine were Mac brand, they used to advertise them in the Mac ad in MM&FF.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Copper header gaskets...fail too thin sealed on head side but not on header side...went with alum...

Attachments

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Copper header gaskets...fail too thin sealed on head side but not on header side...went with alum...
I'm thinking that you have some other issue than gaskets.
Have you checked the headers and head sealing surfaces for flatness?
I bet that likely the header flanges are warped the way all four cylinders show leakage.

P.S. You can anneal and re-use copper gaskets.

·
Pete Jones
781 Posts
I've always had good luck with the advance 9000 something(can't remember exactly) header gaskets, have yet to blow them out. When I took the headers off my 87 gt they still looked like new and had been on the car for 4 years.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trojan Horse said:
I'm thinking that you have some other issue than gaskets.
Have you checked the headers and head sealing surfaces for flatness?
I bet that likely the header flanges are warped the way all four cylinders show leakage.

P.S. You can anneal and re-use copper gaskets.
These gaskets were really thin man, but header looked fine by Jus lookin at it...but they sealed up with alum ones...

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
mystang50 said:
These gaskets were really thin man, but header looked fine by Jus lookin at it...but they sealed up with alum ones...
What brand name where they? Mine had a raised bead around all the ports that smashed down to seal everything up.

Are they(gaskets) blowing the same place each time?

What about your header bolts, new? Used? Loc-tite of any kind?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
deadsp0t said:
What brand name where they? Mine had a raised bead around all the ports that smashed down to seal everything up.

Are they(gaskets) blowing the same place each time?

What about your header bolts, new? Used? Loc-tite of any kind?
They were from lrs...no with tha paper ones it would blow diff places on diff sides...header bolts are tha ones that came with bbk headers I used loc-tite

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
The aluminum gaskets are thicker?
If so, and they seal, then your surfaces are warped, but if they work and you are satisfied then good. :good:

The thickness of the gasket should have no effect on the sealing if your surfaces are true and flat.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Trojan Horse said:
The aluminum gaskets are thicker?
If so, and they seal, then your surfaces are warped, but if they work and you are satisfied then good. :good:

The thickness of the gasket should have no effect on the sealing if your surfaces are true and flat.
Yeah I agree, but didn't want to get headers machined...but those header gaskets were really thin, more thin than paper material ones

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Yeah I agree, but didn't want to get headers machined...but those header gaskets were really thin, more thin than paper material ones
I can understand that. The hassles of R&R just aren't worth it at times. :good:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts