Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some new BBK longtubes. The install instructions say to lift the side of the engine up that you're installing on. Does anyone know if I can get away without doing this? Is it just for ease of installing?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Want my advice?? Pay someone else to do it. Lol. Nah. You can do it. A bunch of people have done this install on here, but I'm pretty sure you're gonna have to lift the motor to get them to fit.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah man, I bought and installed the bbk long tubes 1 3/4 and I had to lift the motor a few inches and unbolt the steering shaft (I dont believe it said anything about the steering shaft in the directions but trust me, it made it easier to install). Honestly it was not that bad, it took a day.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I had summit longtubes and I had to take the steering column out the motor mounts off had the motor jacked up as far as it can go took the valve cover off and it still wouldn't fit kept hitting the k-member. Good luck lol

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahaha! What did I just sign on for... Just gotta new house with a garage. No more rollin around in the dirt! Just as good a place to turn wrenches, drink beer, and throw cuss words I guess...:D

·
Registered
269 Posts
In addition, I would not use the bbk exhaust gaskets that are packaged with the headers (mine blew out 3 weeks after install). Also the bolts packaged are kinda a pita so I bought some allen head bolts from the local hardware store...it was only $10 for 16 stainless steel, grade 8 bolts and it was so worth it. Other than that, the headers are great! Lol

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have copper gaskets on the shortys that are on there now. Just wasn't what I was lookin for in an exhaust setup. Thanks for the heads up on the bolts man! Will I have enough room to change motor mounts when I have the engine lifted? Wanted to go so solid mounts and this would be the perfect time if I will have room.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well I would take the shorts off and the mid pipes then bolt the new solid mounts to the engine block then put the long tubes on. Finally, then you could tighten up the studs of the mounts that run through the k member. If you do it that way then, you wont have to worry about clearance issues. Overall, I would acquire and install the solid mounts first (besides tightening up the studs that run through the k member because you will have to move the engine around to install the long tubes). I hope that makes sense man lol

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Just a quick question guys if I get long tubes will I have to cut my h pipe to make them fit cause my h pipe comes all the way up to my stock shorty headers?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That makes perfect sense man. Thanks! And if you go with longtubes you will need the matching x or h pipe. I guess you could cut yours, but I wouldn't want to weld the x pipe to the headers I just paid good money for...lol!

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Man that sucks just got this h pipe to and now want header and don't feel like getting shorties cause my car come stock with them well look like shorties are my only option

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
I have heard the same :( that's what I don't want them but do you really think they will make better sound cause that always a plus?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My car sounded better when I put shortys on it IMO.

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

However, I wouldn't go out and buy a pair until you are positive that you don't wanna go a different route.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Yea might have to go the route cause might have one leaking so might as well maybe one will be on sale on am for Black Friday

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know what shipping would be like, but my Pypes stainless shortys are for sale. I would cut you a deal as they will just be takin up garage space when I remove them. Pm me if you're interested and we could work somethin out. If i broke any forum rules remove this post, and I didn't mean to guys.

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Never mind. Just seen the SN95 in your avatar! :facepalm lol!!

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Damn it I would love to take them off ur hands but i don't think there is anyway I could make them work:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts