Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the the headlights I want.. They are in my cart.. Before I order I just have one question.. In one of the reviews for these or another I saw someone say to 'seal them up' before installing. What are they talking about? The best I can tell they are ready to install and use right out of the box.. I also plan to order them with the optional bulb...

http://www.americanmuscle.com/9498-black-headlights-amber.html

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just go buy some clear silicon from parts store, it will help from water or any other thing from getting inside. I did this to mine when I got some, it just goes the whole way around where the plastic meets.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just go buy some clear silicon from parts store, it will help from water or any other thing from getting inside. I did this to mine when I got some, it just goes the whole way around where the plastic meets.
That's just the thing.. I'm not going to drop $200 on lights that aren't built right and require silicone sealing to be used.. That make sense?

·
Registered
32 Posts
You don't have to but it might help in the long run. You can also get lights off eBay for around $80 that are just as nice.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You don't have to but it might help in the long run. You can also get lights off eBay for around $80 that are just as nice.
That's where I'm confused I guess, how does it help?
I have always been under the impression that they need ventilation to keep from trapping moisture..IDK

I try not to buy too much off eBay, to much junk, and even with high rated sellers it can be hit or miss. Plus the best eBayer will not give me the level of service I get at AM and that's a big deal for me.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
deadsp0t said:
That's just the thing.. I'm not going to drop $200 on lights that aren't built right and require silicone sealing to be used.. That make sense?
Makes perfect sense to me.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
deadsp0t said:
lol :good: glad it's not just me!
I've been wanting a tinted set, but I read about the silicone and decided to wait. It doesn't make sense bc the stock lights don't need it.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been wanting a tinted set, but I read about the silicone and decided to wait. It doesn't make sense bc the stock lights don't need it.
These aren't tinted, the inside of the housing is like a black chrome w/ a clear lens..
I'm thinking the silicone is not necessary and maybe a bad idea in the end.. :idea:
I don't know for sure, hoping a rep will chime in here and give a clear definitive answer! :good:

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
deadsp0t said:
These aren't tinted, the inside of the housing is like a black chrome w/ a clear lens..
I'm thinking the silicone is not necessary and maybe a bad idea in the end.. :idea:
I don't know for sure, hoping a rep will chime in here and give a clear definitive answer! :good:
Those sound even better, I'll have to check them out.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those sound even better, I'll have to check them out.
They look smoked/tinted but should be brighter w/ the clear lens.. On my last Stang I ran 'Black out' covers.. Was pain taking them off and on.

·
AmericanMuscle.com
2,878 Posts
These are the the headlights I want.. They are in my cart.. Before I order I just have one question.. In one of the reviews for these or another I saw someone say to 'seal them up' before installing. What are they talking about? The best I can tell they are ready to install and use right out of the box.. I also plan to order them with the optional bulb...

Black Mustang Headlights (94-98) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
We recommend that you throw a little clear silicone along the outside rim, just as a percussion. The chances of it actually being necessary are slim, but it's just preventable maintenance. to avoid you any hassle! The headlights do have vents on the back to help avoid moisture as well.

I hope this helps clear things up. Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We recommend that you throw a little clear silicone along the outside rim, just as a percussion. The chances of it actually being necessary are slim, but it's just preventable maintenance. to avoid you any hassle! The headlights do have vents on the back to help avoid moisture as well.

I hope this helps clear things up. Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Cool deal, that's all I needed! Ty for clearing that up! I'm going to sleep on it.. May go ahead and pull the trigger though as I'm def in need of new lights!

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
always...always...always seal any headlights you buy. brand spanking new or not always seal them yourself. it is $5 out of your pocket to run some clear silicon around the edges. Don't be disappointed it's called nipping any issue in the bud early. you'll waste 20 minutes of your day to let the stuff dry. AM has a good product so no worries...in fact i'll be ordering a set of black oem headlights soon

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
always...always...always seal any headlights you buy. brand spanking new or not always seal them yourself. it is $5 out of your pocket to run some clear silicon around the edges. Don't be disappointed it's called nipping any issue in the bud early. you'll waste 20 minutes of your day to let the stuff dry. AM has a good product so no worries...in fact i'll be ordering a set of black oem headlights soon
Cool deal, never bought any headlights at all.. Was just it was weird is all lol guess I've herd from enough ppl experienced in this to be convinced :good: thanks guys! :)

Oh slow six, what do you think about the optional bulbs in the link? You seem to be well versed in bulbs? Are they worth the $30? I don't wanna go HID, are these as good as I can in a standard type bulb?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts